Alternate options for gas tank location in a 73 FJ40 ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just acquired a (new to me) 73 FJ40.
It runs and drives on a 327 with a 4-speed and txfer case from a K5 Blazer.

The original gas tank under the passenger seat is gone and it's running on a fuel cell in the back tub. (I don't like it and I need the space)

I know there are plenty of replacement OEM gas tank options for a 73, but are there any (alternatives) alternative locations rather than under the pass seat ?

Thanks in advance

are there any (alternatives) alternative locations rather than under the pass seat ?

you're kinda limited, there isn't a lot of extra space in a 40 series if you don't want the rear cell.

you're kinda limited, there isn't a lot of extra space in a 40 series if you don't want the rear cell.

Thanks for the reply.
Are there any creative options out there other than just a fuel cell strapped down in side the back tub ?

Thanks

Thanks for the reply.
Are there any creative options out there other than just a fuel cell strapped down in side the back tub ?

Thanks

when you said rear fuel cell, I didn't catch it was in the rear, usually they are under the rear.
that would be your other option. under the rear, behind the rear axle

My only complaint with the stock tank is the size. 73-78 the tank was only 16 1/2 gallons. But would still run and a tank behind the rear axle if I needed the extra range.

Is there a kit for relocating a tank behind the rear axle ?
Tank
Straps
Sending unit

Thank You

I have a poly tank for under the passenger seat (new last summer) that I can sell you. I am replacing it with an aux cell under the bed. Let me know if you're interested!

There is a tank kit for under the rear bed, Downey Aux Tank. Complete kit with everything you need is around $700.

Last edited:
No official kit but I've heard of people using a mid 80's s10 blazer tank mounted behind the rear axle

S10 blazer 20 gallon tank behind the rear axle or if you have shifted your axles rearward it fits in front of it as well. Cheap and simple.

Mark...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom