Alternaror harness.....whatzit? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Here is a portion of an alternator harness(2nd pic) I got with an alternator. What is the capacitor-looking thing and where does it attach? My current alt does not have this.
Thanks,
Ed

Last edited:
OK, I did a continuity test on it and it goes to the round ground thing on the other end of the harness. I'm just wondering why the capacitor, if that is what it is. I've never seen one with a wire-in-wire-out.
So....do I need it? Will it keep my ampmeter from flailing wildly when I use any electrical schtuff?
WTF, where are the EE's?

Ed,

It's definitely a capacitor. Not the usual automotive type, but should function the same. I'm sure a previous owner wired it in with the intent of reducing or eliminating alternator whine on his radio/cb. You don't need it unless you really have a problem with whine on your radio. It will not smooth the output of your alternator. Personally, I'd cut it out because it is of questionable condition. If you find a whine problem later, you can buy a new cap of the correct rating and install it in a cleaner manner.

Todd Bull.

Thanks, Spot, never seen it before. The harness has been modded by someone, so I'll do what you say and DC it.
Thanks again,
Ed

Poser said:
prolly at the bar....

POZR!!!!!
What EXACTLY is your T-E-C-H-N-I-C-A-L input? Your reply sounds kinda C-H-A-T-T-Y to me.
Fawker.
Still waiting on my check from the gold mongers. But me thinks I'm a def-go.

Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom