1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alt Route to Rifle, Grand Junction CO From WI

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by landtoy80, Jul 2, 2005.

1. landtoy80

landtoy80

I will use the under powered 3fe to pull a Uhaul from WI to Rifle CO.
    When I was out there I had a hard time getting up Vail and other big passes on I70 with my stock 62 that was unloaded. I dropped down to 40 mph on the climb :eek:
    Is there a better route that I could use if I take I80 acrossed WY and then drop down CO that won't have big long climbs?

2. wesintl

wesintl

Media:
    Albums:
    That's why they have the slow lane. For rigs, crusiers, and vw bus's. Now coming east over the passes is another story. You could take 80 and go through craig but that's a hell of a long drive on 2 lane roads just to pass the climbs (lookout, gerogtown/eis, vail) on the way to rifle.

3. Gus

Gus SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    I 80 is by far the most direct route but you could take I 80 to Laramie, WY. In Laramie get on rt230/127 to Walden ,Co rt 14 from Walden to rt 40 into Steamboat Springs. There is a fairly steep pass going into Steamboat Springs, but nothing compared to I 80. From Steamboat Springs take rt40 to Craig, from there take rt13 into Rifle. It's a pretty drive, you can easily cruise at 65-70 mph (legally), but by no means is it the most direct route for you.

4. MD11Fr8Dog

MD11Fr8Dog CM09 Eight Ball winner

Yep, this is the way to do it! Or you could just go I-80 to rt 789 through Baggs, Wy. 789 becomes 13 in CO and goes right through Craig all the way down to Rifle. You wouldn't have to do Muddy Pass/Rabbit Ears Pass at all - though it is worth the drive - I just did it 2 hrs ago! :D

Laramie to Craig

Laramie to Baggs

Baggs to Rifle through Craig

5. landtoy80

landtoy80

<<<... you can easily cruise at 65-70 mph (legally)>>>
    70 :eek:
    The sticker on the Uhaul trailer says 45mph MAX :doh:

6. Razor

Razor

take 287 up from denver...go through....Baily, go a few miles and keep your eye out for National Forest acces, follow signs for Red Cone / Radical Hill, you will eventually drop down into Montezuma / keystone.

Take the main road through keystone, then into Frisco where you will get on I-70..

This will bypass Loveland Pass.......

Just dog it up the passes, won't take you long.....take a few breaks and let the cruiser rest..

Have a great trip.

7. landtoy80

landtoy80

:cool: Red Cone will bypass Webster pass. Webster Pass is toooooo scary for me :flipoff2: Will the trailer help be on the down hill side of Red Cone???