1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

also lost.....help old goats

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by red dirt squirt, Jul 18, 2005.

1. red dirt squirt

red dirt squirt

i am 22 and have worked in the heavy construction industry since i was 15. i am currently going to school for a construction management degree and i have got about 2 years left. I have worked all over the southern US now mostly in tx and ok but, have bigger aspirations yet. I have the mountain fever and have backpacked the rockies every summer for about the past six years with an occasional mid year trip. i am expected to take over the family business in okc but, i would rather ranch up in the valley's somewhere. i know i can make low 6 figs at the family business but that is too far from the mountains. i was wondering if any of you all had any suggestions. i would like to make around 100000 a year and spend the majority of my time outdoors. i dont think i could make it panning for gold....thanks guys!

2. flintknapper

flintknapper

Who wouldn't?

Sounds to me like you'll have to start growing "Poppy's", 'cause the Opium trade is about the only thing I know of (without huge outlay of cash) that you can do outdoors and make that kind of money.

3. dieseldog

dieseldog She idles just fine . . .

Run the family business and take vacations as-needed. Buy yourself that secluded cabin so you can fish, hunt, pan, whatever when you get your time off. Hell--you're the boss! At least give the family business a shot. If you don't like it after a while, you'll have options. You are too young to be having a mid-life crisis just yet. Put your nose to the grindstone, party hard on your time off and you'll soon see whether it's the life for you. Then you'll have some hard data and not just a gut feeling.

4. gulp3000

gulp3000

Option#1: Work in the family biz for 5 years, live on $50K/year. Then move to Wyoming with the $250K you saved plus the proceeds from selling whatever your share of the family biz might be.

You'll be 30 (which it may be hard to believe now..but thats very young) with plenty of $ to start a business or work a normal job and use the $250K to live debt free, buy Cruisers, or whatever floats your boat.

Option #2: Work in the family biz and take 3 months a year off to play. Cut your salary to $75K (still plenty for a guy to live on and have a blast). Use the extra $25K to cover the cost of someone filling your responsibilities while your playing.

Option #3: Blow off school and your chance at taking over a lucrative family business. Move to the mountains, guide raft trips and wait tables to make ends meet, meet a girl named Tina from a small town in the midwest that is 3 years into the "year off" she took from college and live happily ever after. No, it's not for everyone, but you will fit right in since most of your mountain buddies will have a similar story.