Alright boys, I need your help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I found a 73 Fj40 that I am looking to buy. Here is what I know:
6 inch skyjacker lift
34x9.50" TSL boggers(a little old but decent tread left)
6 point roll cage(seat belts attached with exhaust clamps:bang:)
Thrashed bucket seats
No fenders
lockrite in the rear
old man emu steering stabilizer
bikini top only
one piece hood
additional electric fan(needs to be wired)
custom air intake(cone filter attached to a piece of exhaust pipe that runs to a welded up box on top of carb)
newer engine from later land cruiser(checked, good compression on all cylinders)
stock gearing w/ 3spd tranny(w/ newer clutch)

interesting thing about the engine, it has a rachet strap wrapped over the top of it. He told me it is because the engine creates so much torque that he has snapped the motor mounts a few times so he replaced them a final time and put the rachet strap on and hasnt had a problem since.

The body is in rough shape with some rust and bad paint. One headlight and one tailight do not work. It has been sitting in a barn for the past several years but I drove her and she ran fine other than being pretty cold blooded.

He is asking 3500 for it, My question is what would you pay for this rig? I think 3500 is is too much considering the shape it is in. I'll try to put pictures up when I figure out how.

Thanks guys

I found a 73 Fj40 that I am looking to buy. Here is what I know:
6 inch skyjacker lift
34x9.50" TSL boggers(a little old but decent tread left)
6 point roll cage(seat belts attached with exhaust clamps:bang:)
Thrashed bucket seats
No fenders
lockrite in the rear
old man emu steering stabilizer
bikini top only
one piece hood
additional electric fan(needs to be wired)
custom air intake(cone filter attached to a piece of exhaust pipe that runs to a welded up box on top of carb)
newer engine from later land cruiser(checked, good compression on all cylinders)
stock gearing w/ 3spd tranny(w/ newer clutch)

interesting thing about the engine, it has a rachet strap wrapped over the top of it. He told me it is because the engine creates so much torque that he has snapped the motor mounts a few times so he replaced them a final time and put the rachet strap on and hasnt had a problem since.

The body is in rough shape with some rust and bad paint. One headlight and one tailight do not work. It has been sitting in a barn for the past several years but I drove her and she ran fine other than being pretty cold blooded.

He is asking 3500 for it, My question is what would you pay for this rig? I think 3500 is is too much considering the shape it is in. I'll try to put pictures up when I figure out how.

Thanks guys

Welcome.

I would not pay more than 50.00us for it.

Way too many red flags with this truck.

Good luck!

Everything actually...

the body is rough, the electrical is shot, 6" lift and 34"s? Bad tranny.. The list goes on..

Engine, wiring issues, lockrite (who set it ) 6" lift stearing???, driveline angles, 73 axles 5 spline outers, weaker stearing arms, drum brakes with 35" tires,

I was about to say something about the strap.
That is the biggest red flag to me. It says a lot about the current owner.

X1000. RUN AWAY!!!!!!!!

Take the $3500 and add up what it would take to make it into the rig that you really want. Take that new number and see what kind of rigs are available for that price. You might be better off spending a little more and getting a much better rig. The description you gave on this one sounds like there is a rat-nest of potential problems.

Good luck.

I was going to offer no more than 2000 for it, but from what you guys have to say I may just nix the whole idea. i'll get some pics up for you tommorrow if I can. BTW, can anyone explain how to post pictures?

Go down below the text window, see where it says "manage attachments"? Click on that then hit browse, select the pic, download it. Notice the size restrictions? I use Microsoft Picture Manager (right click on your pic, selct Open With, then, M Pic Man, then Edit, be sure to save after every change, crop, and resize, use compress pic to check file size) wew, hope it helps.

If the motor mounts are breaking, than a ratchet stap will surely not hold it together- he is hiding something. Offer him $500 for parts, and then go buy a nice one for $3000 to put anything you like from that one on.

Cheers,

Josh

Thanks for all the input guys. You probably saved my butt.

And if anyone sees any rigs for sale around Wyoming, please let me know!:)

theres a 64 in the paper in Sheridan, can get you the number if you want.
Has a V-8 though, lockers, etc. no price given though.

Got to Luv MUD, only 6 posts and he is getting schooled already..

Listen the the forum members and get pics of the ride you want to purchase and they will enlighten you. Many have been around 40's for a long long time. the LEARNING never stops.

Good luck on your search, i say let this one GO.

Cheers... :beer:

Please post a picture of this "custom air intake cone filter attached to a piece of exhaust pipe that runs to a welded up box on top of carb".

I gotta see this.

dont walk away RUN AWAY FROM THIS ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And if anyone sees any rigs for sale around Wyoming, please let me know!:)

Wyoming is the 9th largest state with 97,809 sq mi. :rolleyes:

Where are you in Wyoming?:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom