Alright boys, I need your help

Visit site
I found a 73 Fj40 that I am looking to buy. Here is what I know:
6 inch skyjacker lift
34x9.50" TSL boggers(a little old but decent tread left)
6 point roll cage(seat belts attached with exhaust clamps:bang:)
Thrashed bucket seats
No fenders
lockrite in the rear
old man emu steering stabilizer
bikini top only
one piece hood
additional electric fan(needs to be wired)
custom air intake(cone filter attached to a piece of exhaust pipe that runs to a welded up box on top of carb)
newer engine from later land cruiser(checked, good compression on all cylinders)
stock gearing w/ 3spd tranny(w/ newer clutch)

interesting thing about the engine, it has a rachet strap wrapped over the top of it. He told me it is because the engine creates so much torque that he has snapped the motor mounts a few times so he replaced them a final time and put the rachet strap on and hasnt had a problem since.

The body is in rough shape with some rust and bad paint. One headlight and one tailight do not work. It has been sitting in a barn for the past several years but I drove her and she ran fine other than being pretty cold blooded.

He is asking 3500 for it, My question is what would you pay for this rig? I think 3500 is is too much considering the shape it is in. I'll try to put pictures up when I figure out how.

Thanks guys

Poser

Oh...Durka Durka Durka.
Supporting Vendor
Visit site
I found a 73 Fj40 that I am looking to buy. Here is what I know:
6 inch skyjacker lift
34x9.50" TSL boggers(a little old but decent tread left)
6 point roll cage(seat belts attached with exhaust clamps:bang:)
Thrashed bucket seats
No fenders
lockrite in the rear
old man emu steering stabilizer
bikini top only
one piece hood
additional electric fan(needs to be wired)
custom air intake(cone filter attached to a piece of exhaust pipe that runs to a welded up box on top of carb)
newer engine from later land cruiser(checked, good compression on all cylinders)
stock gearing w/ 3spd tranny(w/ newer clutch)

interesting thing about the engine, it has a rachet strap wrapped over the top of it. He told me it is because the engine creates so much torque that he has snapped the motor mounts a few times so he replaced them a final time and put the rachet strap on and hasnt had a problem since.

The body is in rough shape with some rust and bad paint. One headlight and one tailight do not work. It has been sitting in a barn for the past several years but I drove her and she ran fine other than being pretty cold blooded.

He is asking 3500 for it, My question is what would you pay for this rig? I think 3500 is is too much considering the shape it is in. I'll try to put pictures up when I figure out how.

Thanks guys

Welcome.

I would not pay more than 50.00us for it.

Way too many red flags with this truck.

Good luck!

Mace

rock scientist..
Staff member
s-Moderator
Visit site
Everything actually...

the body is rough, the electrical is shot, 6" lift and 34"s? Bad tranny.. The list goes on..

Visit site
Engine, wiring issues, lockrite (who set it ) 6" lift stearing???, driveline angles, 73 axles 5 spline outers, weaker stearing arms, drum brakes with 35" tires,

Visit site
Take the $3500 and add up what it would take to make it into the rig that you really want. Take that new number and see what kind of rigs are available for that price. You might be better off spending a little more and getting a much better rig. The description you gave on this one sounds like there is a rat-nest of potential problems.

Good luck.

Visit site
I was going to offer no more than 2000 for it, but from what you guys have to say I may just nix the whole idea. i'll get some pics up for you tommorrow if I can. BTW, can anyone explain how to post pictures?

rsbcruiser

SILVER Star
Visit site
Go down below the text window, see where it says "manage attachments"? Click on that then hit browse, select the pic, download it. Notice the size restrictions? I use Microsoft Picture Manager (right click on your pic, selct Open With, then, M Pic Man, then Edit, be sure to save after every change, crop, and resize, use compress pic to check file size) wew, hope it helps.

Visit site
Thanks for all the input guys. You probably saved my butt.

And if anyone sees any rigs for sale around Wyoming, please let me know!:)

Visit site
Got to Luv MUD, only 6 posts and he is getting schooled already..

Listen the the forum members and get pics of the ride you want to purchase and they will enlighten you. Many have been around 40's for a long long time. the LEARNING never stops.

Good luck on your search, i say let this one GO.

Cheers... :beer:

dgangle

total rice
Visit site
Please post a picture of this "custom air intake cone filter attached to a piece of exhaust pipe that runs to a welded up box on top of carb".

I gotta see this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom