Alpena DRL module needs a 12v cranked/running source (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Long time lurker, the forums are an excellent read so I figured you guys might be able to shed some light (so to speak) on an issue I'm facing. Have to put my, just arrived, 2000 European spec 100 series through an Out of Province Inspection in Alberta, Canada (wife thought I was crazy bringing it to Canada when we moved here in April but I know it was the right decision) Anyways as part of the inspection I need to have DRL in operation. European 100 series don't have that option as factory fitted. So I picked up an Alpena DRL module from Canadian Tire and have wired it in myself. The issue is, is that I need, and I quote " Connect green wire to any high point source which supplies 12v when ignition is in the run position". Now I may be a bit obtuse but where can I splice into to get that 12v source. So far I have spliced into the alarm wire, and what appears to be the factory connectors for the Toyota DRL module which I don't have fitted but they are in the general location of the North American mounted DRL module. None of these gives me the 12v source that I need. Although to be honest I might have tapped the wrong wire on these redundant connectors.
I got one of these: https://www.napacanada.com/en/p/BKB...older&keywordInput=add+a+circuit+fuse+adapter
But when I used them with any of the 10A fuses in the engine fuse box (which is a bit limiting as there are very few 10A fuses in the fuse box) they either illuminated the lights with the engine off, which is no good or they wouldn't illuminate the lights when the engine was cranked, and if they did light, once I turned the engine off they stayed lit and the warning noise came on that tells you the lights have been left on without the ignition being on. I've looked at lots of EWD for the 100 series to try and find a cranked/running 12v source. People seem to plug into the AHC relay (which is empty in my fuse box as I don't have it on the vehicle) but that didn't do anything at all, in any of the available slots or they slice into the engine/alternator wiring which I am loath to do as electricity is not my bag and I don't want to tap the wrong wire and screw up the electrics.
Its only $45 for the module, so I thought I'd save myself some cash and wire it in myself. It's apparently idiot proof but this is one idiot that its beaten. The lights do come on as they should when, as a test, I tap this "green" wire off the positive terminal of the battery and shut of after 10sec as soon as I lift the wire off the terminal so I guess all the other wiring from the module are connected correctly.
So can anybody help a guy out with some advise, in layman's terms as I am not electrically minded in the slightest, as to how this so called easy task can be accomplished. In the simplest terms possible please. Forgot to say that I have a twin battery factory setup, so I've used the passenger side battery. Thanks for reading

If this is the kit you have, then it appears to have a relay built into it to supply the power for the DRLs. So, there is very little current draw needed for the green wire +12V trigger, and you can tap into anything that is ignition switched. In layman's terms - the green wire is only telling the DRLs when to power on, it is not supplying source electricity to power them.

Use a voltmeter or power probe to find what you need - anything that is +12V when the ignition is ON and 0V when it is off will work. I'd tap into something non-critical if you can just in case something aftermarket goes wonky. You could use the fuse for the cigarette lighter, an unused place in the fuse box, etc. If you want to get fancy, you can put a switch in line with that trigger and be able to enable/disable them as you please.

Edit: Are you sure this is even needed? I'm not an expert or even Canadian but it appears that vehicles imported that are more than 15 years old are exempt from complying with the Canada Moter Vehicle Safety Act.

Last edited:
Apologies for the delay in replying, start of a week of night shifts. Thanks for the input, I'll tap into the cigarette lighter hopefully. When reading the instructions that came with the kit, it wasn't made clear just exactly what the green wire was for. You may be right about the DRL requirement. I read that piece on the TC website too. However the shop that is going to do the inspection said that it's a good idea to have them installed as it's a good feature to have whilst driving in Canada. When in Rome.....But I'll try and wire in a switch like you suggested so I can turn them off and on at will. Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom