Aloha from Las Vegas! 77 FJ40 Project (1 Viewer)

1MAC

SILVER Star
Joined
Dec 9, 2012
Messages
985
Location
Kansas
Lots of good info in @SipLife 's build thread.
Thank you! That is just what I’ve been looking for.
 

1MAC

SILVER Star
Joined
Dec 9, 2012
Messages
985
Location
Kansas
Lots of progress today. My plan was to hose down the knuckle parts with brake cleaner and start re-assembly. Instead I went down the rabbit hole of cleaning, painting and shining up the parts to make everything look nice.
While the paint dried, I went ahead and replaced all the tie rod ends with a new 555 set from @cruiseroutfit and rebuilt the center arm and drag link. I’m really curious to see what all new steering parts will feel like.
 

1MAC

SILVER Star
Joined
Dec 9, 2012
Messages
985
Location
Kansas
After a long day at work (26 hours), I hooked up my trailer and took a nice drive into the Kansas countryside. Picked up another key piece for the build- a 5.3L Vortec engine from a slightly wrecked 2003 Suburban K1500.
The nice folks at the salvage yard said it ran great and made 40psi oil pressure. Compression was between 160 and 185 on all cylinders. Looking forward to prepping the engine and figuring out how to marry it to the 40.


After I unloaded the engine, I took my new rotors over to @kc_chevota and he opened up the centers to fit the 40 rear axles. Hope I got his good side.

8D55CBB9-A60F-4269-BE12-73DA58A60841.jpeg


4FD8F4B8-CE8E-49E3-B45B-CB41C92A2C02.jpeg
 

1MAC

SILVER Star
Joined
Dec 9, 2012
Messages
985
Location
Kansas
This weekend I put the knuckles all back together and assembled the front brakes. Spent the time to do all the knuckle centering measurements and calculations. Everything is in factory spec- steering preload, fasteners torqued. Only upgrade to the knuckle job was the use of Marlin axle seals.
On the brakes I did the usual upgrades- substituted 4Runner calipers and pads, made backing plate eliminators, new hoses that go from frame to caliper. So rewarding to replace the old parts with new, clean painted parts.

0D744DD4-8D0C-4768-A2E6-91EAFC5826C6.jpeg


AC8C4C86-BC77-47F4-89DB-3CC5D6E2D223.jpeg
 

1MAC

SILVER Star
Joined
Dec 9, 2012
Messages
985
Location
Kansas
Pulled the rear axles today, cleaned them up and painted the hubs. Replaced the axle seals- bearings were perfect so I left them alone. The diff gears and oil looked like new. Nice to find good news when you open stuff up.
Installed GM metric calipers using @Poser brackets and a bunch of parts from O’Reilly! I did have to grind clearance for the banjo bolts and reduce the hump on one caliper (one had a smaller bump!).
This will be awesome going from single-circuit 4 wheel drum brakes on my ‘65 to power-assisted 4-wheel disc brakes on this build!

38144CDE-3828-42DD-AEB6-BC1F64711CEC.jpeg


43C81950-21BC-4C9D-8350-60EFA5FE13BA.jpeg


47F1BE7B-A4EE-4DCB-97F2-CEF9CF635915.jpeg


639EDDC6-1A66-4895-B1D8-401C37987A26.jpeg
 

1MAC

SILVER Star
Joined
Dec 9, 2012
Messages
985
Location
Kansas
Now that the body is here, I can start working on the electrical system. I cleaned most of the crud off the old harnesses with Pine-sol and Goo-gone, then put them in place and started connecting the switches and plugs. I sort of got carried away and put most of the dash together just so I could see what it would look like!

The harness was mostly in excellent shape, except for a few broken/crumbling plugs. I’ll be ordering some new plugs and a fusible link from @Coolerman .
I spent a few hours identifying and labeling each connector on the harness. Most were familiar to me from my previous 65, but I had to go back and forth between the FSM wiring diagrams, Coolerman’s site, and this extremely helpful post from @woytovich :

AEDA8ED9-2F50-4E78-B598-9F0122A733BF.jpeg


76F9A147-33B1-4B82-B9B3-0BF92077EB2F.jpeg


BCBB0CAA-B830-4E05-B6B0-1508B109C354.jpeg
 

1MAC

SILVER Star
Joined
Dec 9, 2012
Messages
985
Location
Kansas
While I wait for the rest of the parts I need for the original harnesses, I thought I’d dig in to the wiring for the transplant engine. Luckily, there’s a website that everyone seems to use to guide them through the process of stripping the OEM harness to use as a standalone.
Brendan’s LT1 Swap site

The original harness before de-pinning amd stripping unneeded circuits:

C319018B-F1B4-4576-ABC7-2D80378261C8.jpeg
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom