Almost got hit by a motorcycle yesterday (on my road bike) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I ride my bike to work in SLC on average 3 days a week. Its a 12 mile ride each way, so I'm on the road a reasonable amount. Although I almost always ride on streets with bike lanes, I still average 1 or 2 close calls per week. SLC is the 2nd most deadly city for pedestrians in the USA so I suppose it's to be expected that it's dangerous out there.

Anyway, yesterday I'm riding home. The street I'm on has a bike lane, and there is a 4 way intersection where my direction of traffic has the right of way. I, and most traffic are making a right hand turn. (This is the corner of 21st East and Parkway/ parleys canyon blvd) The street to the right I'm turning on to also has a bike lane. I usually make the turn with the cars with no problem. They stay in the car lanes, I stay in the bike lanes, everyone's happy. The road has a slight downhill grade and it's a 25mph neighborhood collector type road, so I usually ride almost equal with traffic speeds.

As I go to make the right hand corner a fully dressed street bike -quiet not a harley - something just smaller than a honda gold wing - decides that he's turning right through the corner of the bike lane... while I was there in the corner. I swerved as close to the curb as I could and was putting my hand out to push off the motorcycle as I was yelling at him. It was probably 12" or so between me and him and he heard me yelling at him and jerked back into his lane.

I don't quite know how he could have missed me. I wear a bright orange jersey and I was in front of him at the corner. I guess he was off in his own little world. At least he had his token American flag flying on the back of his bike.

Just thought it was a kinda funny unusual situation to almost get run down by a motorcycle. You'd think they of all people would be paying more attention to what they are doing. If he hits me, we're both going down because I'm more than likely going to give him a push back hard enough to knock him off the motorcycle. That's what I was bracing for. I usually get the soccer mom backing out of the driveway not paying attention, the UPS/FEDEX/City bus driver that pulls out without looking, or the teenager on the phone. The motorcycle was a new one for me.

Hey Jetboy - good on ya for commuting. And glad you didn't get clipped.

I commuted for a while, but like you said, SLC isn't that safe.

I think I'll stick to my after hours road rides.

I had an old guy (60's) on a scooter (no helmet) give me the brush-by in the Home Depot parking lot last summer. I was on my road bike, just following traffic into the parking lot going about 15 mph. He went by me at about a foot, I said "Don't mind me" and he yelled at me "Don't worry I won't! It's share the road, not hog the road!"

It baffled me to be treated like that from someone riding a scooter. I got in his face at the cash register, and we exchanged a few more words, but I quickly realized I wasn't going to educate him any and walked away.

Years ago I was stationed on the Presidio in SF. I was riding aggressively through westside SF downtown traffic on my Stumpy mtb. I had been seeing a motorcyclist following along with me through traffic for the last few miles. I hopped the curb and was going to blow through the street light by using the zebra (I was young and bulletproof) my speedo indicated 30 mph or so as saw the biker pulling hard from the far left lane trying to make a right in front of me. I dropped off the foot-tall curb hard on the brakes and endoed, yard saling my bike and myself. I landed in the farside lane on my butt and back of my helmet as I had a backpack on full of hard s*** that woulda jacked me up. Biker had slowed just enough in the turn that I woulda missed him, it was my misreading of his own aggressive driving that sent me flyin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom