Almost bought a white locked 80 today, but... opinions sought

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

lcgeek

Glad to meet you!
Threads
I've been searching long and hard for 95-97 white locked low mile 80 at reasonable price point. I've been so close on a few but always second or third in line :(

Yesterday, I thought I had finally found a white locked 1995 with 130K miles and it was at a Toyota Dealer too. Some might view a dealer listed truck negatively because the price is usually higher, but I was buying long distance, so to me a Toy dealer "I thought" was a good thing.

To make a long story longer... I sent early morning reply to ad saying contact me ASAP. A rep contacted me and I asked sales rep if he was in the Internet dept - he says yes. I verify I am first in line and ask to verify price posted from internet ad, he verifies it is priceed correctly verbally. I ask him to check with his management and send me an email that the price is correct - he says ok. Shortly later he sends email and confirms price is "verified" at listed price. WE then trade lots of emails, pictures, and discussion on condition, etc. After getting everything I asked for and noticing all was great - I agree to buy at "verified" price and tell him to call me and I will give credit card # and we can complete the deal.

An eery silence then set in. I called and the sales rep said he was in a meeting. Shortly thereafter, he calls and tells me that his "verified" price was a mistake even though he verified it - now it can't be accepted and that the new price is "verified" price +new 3,000 increase.

Then through various communications with sales mgrs and dealer managers, they tell me the rep made mistake and never verified price with management. Then to appease me, they extend me the gracious offer of discounting that new $3,000 increase by $1,500 - so now my new great deal buy it now price is the first "verified" price + only $1500, not the $3000 increase. I passed on principle because I had agreed to buy at the first verified price. I just didn't feel right about buying on a new uplifted price. Maybe others would have looked past the last second price increase and just buy based on whether the cruiser was worth this "new" price. I could not.

Opinions? Was this a Toy dealer playing a used car lot price increase game? What would you do - buy or pass?

I would skip it with that sort of game being played. Maybe if you have a different number to call from you could try again, ask to speak toe he sales mgr/dealer mgr, and ask for the first price and get lucky? I hate unethical dealers, but also would hate to miss a good rig.

I would have done the same thing. Sounds like a bait and switch.

I'd walk away.

Did you speak with the General Manager of the dealership? Typically the last thing they want is negative feedback. Especially when you tell them you are a Land Cruiser enthusiast and TLCA Member. Most GMs are familiar with the LC cult following and if they made a mistake they will eat it. Did you happen to screen shot the listed price?

Where the dealer located?

why would you e-mail back and forth with them when you can just go and look at the truck ?

or take someone with you and have them help you talk the price down :hillbilly:

also: you can delete your other thread yourself

I figured they would do something like that as soon as you mentioned "ASAP".
The dealer realized you are way too hot for that car and could milk some more money out of you.

I bought 4 cars on ebay. Check it out.

That's too bad, definitely a good idea to walk. Just my .02 let them know your very firm price point and leave your contact information. One way or another it'll sort itself out.

Did you speak with the General Manager of the dealership? Typically the last thing they want is negative feedback. Especially when you tell them you are a Land Cruiser enthusiast and TLCA Member. Most GMs are familiar with the LC cult following and if they made a mistake they will eat it. Did you happen to screen shot the listed price?

The GM is owner, tried to reach but couldn't. I did reach General Operations Mgr who was the one who threw me the eventual $1500 discount. from the new inflated real price that they say was supposed to have been the beginning price.

why would you e-mail back and forth with them when you can just go and look at the truck ?

or take someone with you and have them help you talk the price down :hillbilly:

also: you can delete your other thread yourself

Because the dealer was not local so I couldn't just pop over for a quick looksie.
I can delete my other double post - great. How?

The GM is owner, tried to reach but couldn't. I did reach General Operations Mgr who was the one who threw me the eventual $1500 discount. from the new inflated real price that they say was supposed to have been the beginning price.

Because the dealer was not local so I couldn't just pop over for a quick looksie.
I can delete my other double post - great. How?

go to the bottom of the post, it has an option to delete right after the Edit button

Call the GM on Monday. Raise hell.

Go to Yelp and type up your experience with them.

I would have just showed up with the cash and demanded the car.

If the story is as you say, they lied. I have bought and sold about 20 cars in my 16yrs of having a license.

I have never "verified" and then "re-verified" a price on a car.

If anything, they tried to bait and switch, with you could probably take up with the state, but not worth it....

Lesson learned, if u see I good deal, "non-chalantly" (sp) verify the price, fly out there and buy it....especially if you have emails with the PROOF.

A dealer that cares about its reputation will honor it (with reason, not a 06' Gallardo for 9,600, when it is really 96,000).

I think all your "verifying" tipped them off that u would pay more....

What is the name of the dealer? I am sure someone else wants to buy it. Since your sour over the deal, I am sure you wont mind.

Also, I am sure they would have accepted a down payment over the phone via credit card. Once monies change hands, the deal is done at that price that you agreed and if you have all that "verified" price comms. via email. Then there is your proof.

Um do we get a name of said stealership so their business dwindles?

If I WERE YOU, i would not have any reservations about publishing the Dealer's name and location both here and all possible social media ASAP. John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom