All you long-distance FJ40 drivers (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I like those seats !!!!they must be kumphy,,,I was looking at taking the front seat out of this old nissan patrol I found half burried out in the woods,,,but I like those better,,maybe I could use the patrol frame an box....

Here is a pic..250K+ miles...Never trailered.;)
100_5751.jpg
100_5751.jpg

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the H41 and H55F have the same low first gear ratio?

The faster/slower combo I would like to have is an H55F with an Orion TC to go with my 35s and 411s. That would make 70 mph pretty comfortable and at a lower RPM. I don't think I would want to go much faster than 70 in a 40. Wheeling would vastly improve as well with the lower H55 and Orion gears. Anyone figured out a reasonable parking brake solution?

Nice thread

Pretty sure you are correct about the first gear in the H41 and the H55F.

Additionally, (depending on the types of trails you want to run) I would highly suggest going with 37's over 35's. For a 40 that still gets driven on the road, but is wheeled hard, 37's are the ideal size IMO. I ran 35's for years and I was amazed how much less I dragged my diffs and axles and other things when I went to 37's. 37's are small enough to still be road friendly but big enough to handle nearly any trail.

I don't think that they have adapted the Orion to work with the H55 yet have they? I thought it was just for 1 piece cases it could replace. Sure would be kick arse though! It gets $$$ quick when you start looking for gear reduction. That and you run out of driveline quick, but a 4:1 behind a H55 with the offset transfer case outputs would be sweet.

"Life in the Slow Lane" Toyota Trails July 2005.:)

For point to point exploring and camping, I wouldn't give up the aux tank space[and cruising range] for the extended wheelbase needed for a doubler. The Orion keeps my H41 and F very happy on the highway and the trail without that compromise.

And, after just returning from Katemcy yet again [2600+ miles round trip] I have to admit again that Downey's cantilever shackles make the highway a LOT smoother, even though they have never impressed me in the dirt. A LOT smoother. :clap:

And I don't go ANYWHERE without lots of tunes...and the patience to drive a 40 as a 40. :zen smilie:

You can always arrange a test drive!;)

Mark, next time I see you and your 40, I'd like to make the proper arrangements for a test drive.

I saw your 40 at Katemcy and I was really impressed.

you can drive my 80 if you want to.

Je! je!

I do consider myself a long distance driver.

I have driven my 40 from Brownsville to Katemcy(about 7hrs) and I enjoyed every minute of it. I had no radio just the temperature gauge. I keept on looking at it since I had added a pusher fan and it stayed at 185(before 210). oh! and a I burned tennis shoes. Heat was terrible. I realized the next day in the morning that my right tennis shoes had come apart from the heat of the headers

Since I don't own a tow rig or a trailer, I have to drive it to trails.

I'm shooting for the Southern Cruiser Crawl in October.

It's about 12 hr drive, 1600 miles, round trip to Hot springs AK since they change it this year.

looking forward to this trip

JP

As for drivetrain I'm putting in a GM N/A 6.2L diesel, 700R4 (3.06 1st, .7 OD), Toybox (4.7), stock t-case, 3.7 in the diff's and 33"x10.5" BFG AT. At highway speeds (68MPH) I'll be cruising at 1800 RPM's (the 6.2 happy spot for fuel milage). With the same setup I'll have a ~104 crawl ratio with loads of gearing options (mutliple combo with a toybox and twin stick stock t-case).

That's a pretty compelling answer to the original question. I'll bet it gets ~18mpg too.

I've been running a 1976 FJ40 for about 9 years now.
Currently, It has a well built 2F motor, SM420, '4 speed' t-case and stock axles running 35's. The rear end has a lock right in it. And I have power steering.

I drive my truck to every trail i've run. It's never been trailered. The worst problem on the trail I have had was when I broke a leaf spring on Hole in The Rock a few years back but I Was able to drive it to moab and drive it home.

I have to say that the truck works very well. About my only gripe with it is that it's SLOW (45mph) going over big mountain passes. On flat ground I can drive the truck 65-70 all day, and even get it to 75+ for passing (that said it takes a bit). I average 15-16mpg.
I drive the SNOT out of the truck. I Wheel the SNOT out of the truck.

I have waffled the idea of getting 4.88s. While I know its not really that big of a deal, I do like the fact that with the stock diffs (4.11's) getting replacements is CHEAP and EASY should I ever blow one up.

I think that for most stuff, a rig running a thoughtfully built 2F or well thought out 350, with a stock transmission and Orion with 4.11's and a rear locker would be an excellent setup.

C'mon, is that even a serious question.

100 miles, you need a bag of chips and a coke.

Since you'll be wheel'n you won't have the top on, so you need headphones and somplace to put the bag of chips when you're done.

I did it this last weekend. About a 110 miles up on Friday and the same coming back on Sunday. Loaded up the camping gear and wheeled all day Saturday.

Specs:
'73 FJ40 running full doors and bikini top
F engine with Weber carb and header
H42 4 speed with stock T-case
4.88 R&P's, 37" bias-ply MT's, disc up front, drums in the rear
welded rear (aussie up front but not vital info for highway driving)
Spring over axle
Saginaw PowerSteering
4x4labs Hysteer

Keep her at about 2800 RPM's (60mph for me) on the interstate and she tracks true (relatively speaking). Having overdrive would be nice. An H55 would do wonders.

Things I learned from the weekend:
I need new windshield wipers and I need to bring my headlights up a bit (brights are too low right now).

I drove my '82 40 for years 185 miles one way to work twice a week. It has 33's, 4 inch lift, and shackle reversal. Cruised at 70 mph and it let you take in the sights without looking back at the road and find out you were heading for the ditch. It does have the 3.73 diffs though. I doubt that is what anyone is looking for if they are doing some serious offroading. If you are worried about loud road noise generally associated with 40's, I have seen a few with soundproofing sheets in the doors, floorboards, and firewall that were just as quiet as an 80 series.

We're hoping for a long distance formula in the build that I'm about to wrap up.

77 FJ-40
Ramjet 350
700R4
2.28 Marlin Toybox
stock transfer
4.10's
AC
Cruise control
spring under
33's

Oh... and a fully loaded ipod with noise isolating headphones.

THAT crappy build?! It doesn't even have heated seats! :flipoff2:

I don't use a top and drive to work 100 miles each way now and again just to stretch out the 40 and can comfortably drive 75 when the traffic is light...

'73 FJ40-Ram Jet/H55/SUA/33's/ps/disc brakes/stock gears/AND heated seats :grinpimp: I would HIGHLY recommend better low gearing for serious crawling...

Don't know why I didn't think of this until now, but CruiserStuff sparked my memory. Dave you should really chat with Kurt Williams at Cruiser Outfitters. His 40 is a bitchin setup and he drive his truck a ton to and from the trails over long distances and even while pulling his trail trailer....

Thanks for the kind words Adam.

My setup has dragged me all over the state and back, but I've got two local customers that I can't even begin to hold a candle too. Greg Hoffman is the first, his FJ40 has been all over the country, Utah to Texas, Virginia, Washington State... all on a SOA, H55F, 2F and 1 barrel carb :cool: Its an old school Cruiser Outfitters build, but a testament in its own way, as long as I've know Greg, its been his only vehicle and he commutes all over the Wasatch Front with it. The other is Jason Day (hedonist here on Mud), Jason has well over a half million miles on his 76' FJ40. Its been re-bodied due to rust, re-motored and re-trans'ed in the 10 years I've known Jason... but its still his daily driver and brings him all over the state too! Both have been rolled and driven home too :cool: Mine is just a young lad when compared to those two.

Gregs:
RS_JAN_09%20076%20(Medium).jpg

Jasons:
Swell_Dec_2007%20024%20(Medium).jpg

I think the one thing that stop's me from long distance driving is if something fail's that can not be fixed on the trail, i know if you do these trip's you should have the proper part's along with you but there's alway's that what if in the back of my mind...

Kevin

Same thing goes with almost any vehicle. the beauty behind the 40 is it is simple enough there is very little that cannot be pulled apart on the side of the road and made operable. maybe not perfect, but hopefully enough to get you somewhere to make real repairs. Just depends a little on your creativeness. With a new computer controlled car, if it tanks there isn't a lot I could do with it. The cruiser community is pretty good about helping a fellow Toy get back home if it gets real bad too.

On the trail is a different story but the same principles apply. You just bring more spares :) and hopefully with a group going there is a spare for just about everything.

C'mon, is that even a serious question.

100 miles, you need a bag of chips and a coke.

x2
Anywhere you can get in 1.5hrs is a short trip. I'd think after about 5hrs driving starts being a long trip. Most I've gone is about 16hrs in one day in my 40 towing a small trailer.

I agree with whats been said. Good seats, a rattle free hard top, and soundproofing make distances more enjoyable. I really like having an auxillary tank to not worry about fuel stops. A 4speed with 4.1 and 33's is ok, but some kind of overdrive would be better. Oh, and a center console with padded armrest and cupholder is nice too. Only thing missing from mine is tunes.

pic

Great shot of Jasons rig---My new desktop pic of the month:)

One day we should do a photo contest some great pics on here

or a ROTM calendar--sorry, Ugly Betty is not available for modeling engagements; need I explain?:lol::lol::lol:

i have a 7/'77 FJ40, all stock, so that means 2F, 4 speed, (Not sure of the stock diff. gearing), and had electronic ignition replacement until the pertronix melted/failed.

I was commuting around SW Colorado, and this was my daily driver and basecamp as well while i was working for the NPS at Mesa Verde. Got it up to 70 mph once, but prefered 62 mph to maximize mpg and lessen road noise. I was driving upwards of 100-150 miles per day at times. NO STEREO, except the station i was listening to in my head. with both windows rolled down for the dog, and batwing windows opened as well as floor vents, there was a lot of road noise but i do not think that it was unbareable. i was listening to the engine to see how well it ran anyways.

gear storage was a huge problem eventually. i know that roof racks look cool and all, but the gas mpg loss was never an option for me, getting 12-14 mgp when gas was 4.10$/ gallon!!!!!:mad:

but for a week or two, there was barely enough room for my gear and my dog. so that limits it to a 1 or maybe 2 person vehicle for extended trips, ESPECIALLY if you do any mountain biking or kayaking (or fishing or skiing or...).

i have taken it over many, many passes in Colorado including: Lizard Head (paved), Coal Bank, Molas, and Red Mountain (all 3 paved), Ophir a TON(4x4), Stony (4x4), Cinnamon (4x4), California (4x4), Kennebec (4x4), etc. without complaint (other than expletive drenched MacGuyver sessions on the side of the road with no one stopping to help to get my rig fired up again...)

One problem i encountered with such a short wheelbase vehicle was during steep rocky descents, i was braking so much to keep from dislocating my a$$ that the engine was wanting to die (No...).
i kind of screwed the clutch master cylinder during this descent somehow (and it fixed itself somehow). i am sure that a lower gear set in the diffs would help that.

also, as stated before, power steering would be a great addition for a rig you have described. while i do not mind drifting around in a highway lane at 62 mph, i DO mind having to watch out for a separated shoulder on any sort of technical to very technicle rock crawls. in fact i came close to dislocating one on Stony Pass, on the Lake City side of the divide but there is a super narrow and rocky descent to get down to the creek crossings.

peace, love, 'Cruisers

andy g.:grinpimp:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom