1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

All you Hippies be careful out there.

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Capt. Jim, Aug 2, 2005.

1. Capt. Jim

Capt. Jim

Boat Captain Dies After Hair Gets Caught In Engine

POSTED: 6:01 am EDT August 2, 2005

KEY WEST, Fla. -- A Key West dive boat captain died when his hair got caught in the vessel's engine.

Ralph Chiaro worked for Subtropic Dive Center in Key West. The 36-year-old was driving the company's 42-foot Island Diver back from the reef over the weekend when he leaned into the hatch for some engine maintenance.

The company said he became entangled in the engine's machinery and died instantly.

Chiaro had been at Subtropic for seven years, working his way up to lead captain and marine safety officer. He had a degree from Florida Keys Community College in diving technologies.

The Coast Guard is investigating.

2. swank60

swank60

The biggest news here is:

"He had a degree from Florida Keys Community College in diving technologies."

HELL YEAH!

3. 3pits

3pits

d'oh,, that had to suck,,

4. Capt. Jim

Capt. Jim

How about this line:

"...working his way up to lead captain and marine safety officer."

5. SCJO06

SCJO06

can anyone say "under-water basket weaver" ?

6. T Y L E R

T Y L E R

That had to have degloved his pumpkin .. lets see pics!

7. IdahoDoug

IdahoDoug

I read a book called "Dove" or something about a guy who owned and sailed his wood sailboat all over the world alone. In it is a funny event. He'd replaced his engine in some third world port with a cast iron Indian engine that was originally designed to lift things out of mines. Huge torque, very slow RPM. One day he's run aground and grudgingly starts the engine to back off it. The engine is under the cockpit floor and he has to remove a panel in the floor to pull start it. Gets it started and is waiting for the spinning propwash to clean the sand from the stuck keel. Leaning over to secure the line that holds the boom in place (mainsheet for you sailors), one end loops around his arm and a loop drops into the hole. The rope goes tight and somehow he's gotten a leg into another rope. So he's slowly getting pulled in half. The engine refuses to stall out. The pressure's enormous and he is hanging in mid air while this is taking place. Just as he's about to pass out from the pain, there's a loud bang and the strain eases. Hopeful now that he's going to live, he looks down into the hold and to his horror the danger is not over. The engine has pulled loose from its mounts and is now climbing up the rope to grind him to bits with the whirring flywheel. It weighs a bunch and he can do nothing but watch. Just as it gets quite close to him the engine gives a lurch and stops. The fuel line went tight and pulled off. There's more to the story involving him finding a way to get out of this still dangerous predicament, but that's my "stuff hanging down on running boat engines" story of the day...

On safety, my wife used to work for a company in CA. One day the Safety Officer was giving a demonstration and slipped with a knife cutting a box of T shirts open to hand out to the employees. Huge cut and he's off to the hospital for some 30 freaking stitches and a gigantic lifelong scar.

DougM

8. beaufort-fj60

beaufort-fj60

Media:
    Albums:
    what a dumbass, I never could understand why the hell a grown man would have long hair, especially a pony tail. I just don't get it

9. fsusteve

fsusteve

Media:
    Albums:
    s*** happens....if he hadn't had long hair, it would've been something else. There's no reasonable explanation for this kind of stuff other than when yer time is up it's up.

Btw, just got back from the Keys for mini-season, several diving deaths this year, weird s***.

10. Rugster

Rugster

I saw a fellow get his hair pulled out by a drill press.. Hair got caught in the chuck and before he knew it he was bald on top !

Made even my eyes water !

11. dd113

dd113

When I was in graduate school for sculpture I was the studio assistant for 1 semester. One of my jobs was to give the "safety lecture" loose clothes, long hair, fire etc.... We got the super hot cheerleader taking sculpture as an elective. Amazing body, nice skimpy clothes and long blond hair. SHe recieved the lecture along with all the other tards.

I look out of the office, checking her out of course as she worked, and suddenly thought,"That Milwaukee 7" grinder might get caught in her hair." Just as I thought that WHAM! 7" grinder, locked on tangled in her hair banging her in the head. Wham, scream, wham, scream, wham, scream, wham scream you get the idea. No real injuries but it scared the hell out of her.

The best part was the boobie shake between wham and scream.

12. Scamper

Scamper

LMAO :D Oh, the moral dilemma...should I go and help her, or just watch for a little while longer? :rolleyes:

13. Jman

Jman

The assembly line job I worked summers during college, we had an OSHA inspection, and the inspector got his tie caught in the conveyor belt of my line. I shut it off quickly and told him next time to wear a clip-on. :D Needless to say, we passed. :D :D

14. T Y L E R

T Y L E R

You , my friend are a fawkin tard .... :rolleyes:

TY

15. beaufort-fj60

beaufort-fj60

Media:
    Albums:

sorry tyler, i did not know your boyfriend had long hair :princess: , he's okay

16. red dirt squirt

red dirt squirt

company drug test time!!!!!!!

17. honk

honk

Media:
    For beaufort (is THAT a name?):

I saw a supervisor in an administrative position go into a maintenance shop to use a bench grinder on some personal thing of his. As he leaned over the wheel the suction effect caused by the wheel drew his necktie away from his body and into the wheel. When the necktie reached the wheel it instantly wrapped and snapped his face right down onto the wheel to be ground down some. It took about six inches of skin from his chin up to his brow before his necktie finally was cut through and he was released from it to fall to the floor unconscious.
    Ugly mess. About a week hospitalized, I guess. Left him with a horrible scar. Didn't bleed much though.

Guess all I can say is I'll never understand why a person would wear a necktie. I just don't get it.

18. hatman406080

hatman406080

Albums:

:flipoff2: EXCUSE ME! You're probably jealous because you are bald. I've had long hair for 30 years. Anything wrong with tha, you dumbass. :doh:

HATMAN :)

19. beaufort-fj60

beaufort-fj60

Media:
    Albums:
    Beaufort T. Justice

oooff
    [​IMG]

20. beaufort-fj60

beaufort-fj60

Media:
    Albums: