All things equal, what motor? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Assuming two identical trucks. Would you prefer the 4.5l gas or the 4.2l tirboed diesel motor? Why?

What if the choice was between a turboed 4.5 and the diesel?

1fz vs 1hd-t
Turboed 1FZ vs 1HD-T

Assuming two identical trucks. Would you prefer the 4.5l gas or the 4.2l tirboed diesel motor? Why?

1fz vs 1hd-t
Turboed 1FZ vs 1HD-T

How are you using the 80?

Are you trying to do a specific tack, or be the coolest signature/ 80 at a meet-n-greet?

How you plan to use it is a huge decision- I’d like diesel mostly for towing, but the brakes and wheelbase then turn into the weakness if that;s the job intended.

For simple fill the tank & go - 1FZ/snail would get my nod, but Devil in details of a gas turbo so it better be Joey’s unless you are a turbo guru in your on rite.

Cliff Note:

Answer subjective w/o knowing how you want the torque band to help you do your intended usage.

Depends what you're using the truck for. For a weekender/fun truck, probably Turbo 1FZ. For something long range, definitely 1HD-##

Depends what you're using the truck for. For a weekender/fun truck, probably Turbo 1FZ. For something long range, definitely 1HD-##

Bingo.

plus, since OP is in Idaho, gas stations are easily plenty esp in S Idaho, but Moab or some such scenario (cutesey-overland, it’s all we really have here in the USA) - and fuel storage solutions are well-beaten answers these days.

If I was OP - I’d gauge my style of use (we all went to milage) - some guys rather a gasser LS & do whatever, my only bytch of my 80 was the towing.

That said, Mr. T never meant me to tow a ~5K boat on a tandem trailer, or brake, etc.
I could have gone the LS3 / big brakes way - but my Tundra was meant for that but has leaf sprung azz, so you buy vehicles for intended purposes just like differen caliber ammnoz is for different intended success.

—————

OP needs to detail how he wants use to satisfy his demand, otherwise we can just all go “full lottery”.

I’m done until he defines his use - otherwise it’s like he ‘googled’ us. :meh:

No towing. I am from Moab and would use it on easy trails there. Mainly as a daily driver and light off-road.

Assume that for me gas and diesel cost the same per gallon.

No towing. I am from Moab and would use it on easy trails there. Mainly as a daily driver and light off-road.

Assume that for me gas and diesel cost the same per gallon.
For a daily driver, parts availability is probably a significant factor. If I was in the US, I'd be going an LS

1fz vs 1hd-t
Turboed 1FZ vs 1HD-T

If ALL THINGS were equal including costs, 1hdfte and 5 speed manual, every day of the week!

Cost of the diesel engines really sways the balance back to 1fzfe.

Diesel is noisy and reeks. Much greater range, though, and fewer things to go wrong. Then again, not much goes wrong with properly-maintained Cruisers or their trannies anyway, so there's that. Depending on the state, a diesel swap may not be possible, if that's what you have in mind.

How much hwy driving will you be doing? If cruising at 75-80mph on the interstate a lot, than go with gas. If taking it slower and you want a diesel than diesel it is.

How much hwy driving will you be doing? If cruising at 75-80mph on the interstate a lot, than go with gas. If taking it slower and you want a diesel than diesel it is.

My diesel 80 and 105 got way better, like waaaaaaaay better mileage than my 1fzfe, mixed highway and city use.

All manual, similar gearing and the selections

Offroad only a 1HDTE for something that gets driven all over a turbo 1FZ properly setup.

Why?

If all is equal, the same money spent upgrading both, a 1hdfte will give the 1fzfe a solid run for its money until you spend 5 figures plus on the 1fzfe.

Exhaust, turbo, intercooler, injectors, tune, airbox on the stock 1hdfte, and guys have doubled the power and torque output of the 1hdfte.

I don't doubt at some point the 1fzfe will surpass the HD-FTE for outright horsepower, but don't know what his far you'd have to push the mods on both before the 1fzfe took the lead

Last edited:
Why?

If all is equal, the same money spent upgrading both, a 1hdfte will give the 1fzfe a solid run for its money until you spend 5 figures plus on the 1fzfe.

Exhaust, turbo, intercooler, injectors, tune, airbox on the stock 1hdfte, and guys have doubled the power and torque output of the 1hdfte.

I don't doubt at some point the 1fzfe will surpass the HD-FTE for outright horsepower, but don't know what his far you'd have to push the mods on both before the 1fzfe took the lead
I like the low speed [1-2k rpm] torque of diesels for crawling around and there superior fuel economy of which both these things are great for extended trips off road. That being said diesels are loud, smell terrible and aren't enjoyable when the weather is cold. The 1FZFE is an absolutely perfect gasoline engine to turbo as its inline for easy packaging, has a fairly large displacement and the head flows decently. You can make 3-400 hp and 500+ ftlb of torque without really trying or spending a ton and it will be quiet, have a broad power band and be nice to drive. Much past this power level is really not needed as the Land Cruiser chassis is not suited to high speed nor will the driveline live long if you are not gentle. I have built a couple dozen turbo kits over the years for gasoline engines and when setup well with an appropriately sized turbo for intended use and good tune they are just nice to drive.

For a daily driver, parts availability is probably a significant factor. If I was in the US, I'd be going an LS

this.

Toyota diesels are cool but they're hard to find here and parts are even harder to find. plus, diesel is expensive. LS isn't Toyota, and they're basic, but they're ultra reliable, cheap, ubiquitous, and make close to twice the HP.

I like the low speed [1-2k rpm] torque of diesels for crawling around and there superior fuel economy of which both these things are great for extended trips off road. That being said diesels are loud, smell terrible and aren't enjoyable when the weather is cold. The 1FZFE is an absolutely perfect gasoline engine to turbo as its inline for easy packaging, has a fairly large displacement and the head flows decently. You can make 3-400 hp and 500+ ftlb of torque without really trying or spending a ton and it will be quiet, have a broad power band and be nice to drive. Much past this power level is really not needed as the Land Cruiser chassis is not suited to high speed nor will the driveline live long if you are not gentle. I have built a couple dozen turbo kits over the years for gasoline engines and when setup well with an appropriately sized turbo for intended use and good tune they are just nice to drive.

I think all the same is true with the HD-FTE, except the smelly bit, ohhhh, and the noisy bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom