All power dies when attempting to start. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Fuseable link is a fuse.... so if it goes, it "should" just fail outright. (Note: SHOULD..... funny things happen...)

Whenever I have had these sorts of symptoms over the years, it turns out to be dirty or loose connections to the battery.
Remove your battery terminals from the battery, scrape or wire brush the inside of both terminals and battery posts, especially if there is any white stuff on the terminals.
Then make sure they are tight on the battery posts.
It is also possible that the battery terminals are the wrong size and won't clamp securely.
It’s a slow burn fuse. The wires can be damaged but still work to some degree. It doesnt just pop like a traditional fuse or circuit breaker

Success!! I cleaned and sanded down all contact points for grounds and replaced all cables and Va Va Vooom! Goes to show you not to overlook the basic little things. Much appreciation to everyone that gave me their opinions! This community is awesome!
Cheers👍

Glad to hear it was an easy fix and thanks for updating us on the fix 😀

It’s a slow burn fuse. The wires can be damaged but still work to some degree. It doesnt just pop like a traditional fuse or circuit breaker
Fair enough - mine was fine until it wasn't anymore, so I assumed that was what happens. It is after all just fuse wire. But always happy to be corrected! 👍

Fair enough - mine was fine until it wasn't anymore, so I assumed that was what happens. It is after all just fuse wire. But always happy to be corrected! 👍
It can fail catastrophically if the electrical event is significant enough. But we see a ton of posters coming on with electrical problems that stem back to cooked fusibile links that partially work but aren't totally burnt out.

I had the similar problem with my 62. I had been daily'ing the 62 for a couple weeks since the weather was cool and dry. One day I cranked the engine, "click" and it lost all power. No lights, no beeping, the dash was completely dead. The problem was it stayed dead. I couldn't get it to power back on. After testing the fusible link, the ignition switch, solenoids, relays, starter, fuses, and battery, I finally realized that unplugging the negative battery terminal was the only way to get the power back on. It turns out the negative wire lug was corroded inside. It had corroded just enough to keep the lights and other things on but not enough to crank the engine. I cleaned the wires and replaced the lug and everything's working again. Just because it was working fine a day ago doesn't mean it's ok now. Check those grounds!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom