All over the map: 1FZ Head Gasket vs. 5.3 Swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I agree I don't think you'll get much for your 1fz. I would say figure 7k for the swap. If it comes in under that it's a bonus. If you buy a whole truck with a motor you can part it out and recoup some of the cost. Also think of how much labor you think you'll have into it and triple that time. The end result will be a very useful cruiser that will do almost anything.

Most of the people commenting here have done the research and done a swap or two as well. Some also have empirical real world experience. We too are aware of the issues you mentioned with the 5.3L. We also know that major failures are a very small percentage of the total engines out there. These motors are plucked out of Vans, trucks and SUVs every day and put straight into every vehicle you can imagine and driven for years. It's been happening for a couple decades now.

I regularly install 4L65E transmissions in swaps. Both new from GM and remanufactured units from Monster. The 4L65E came about to correct the short comings of the 4L60E. GM puts it behind the LS3 in a Connect & Cruise package.

No motor platform or trans series is perfect or even close. When someone puts out a product that rivals what GM has put out with the LS series and related trans options, I am all ears. :)

I understand where you're coming from and I think if we were having a discussion in person we would probably be in agreement on most of the LSx swap stuff. I am new to 80 series stuff, but I have been manufacturing parts for automotive markets for close to 20 years. I have some experience with the LS engines. Kind of like your buddy who maintained them in a large fleet. He got to see a picture that many people don't get to see. I've seen the LS platform from the manufacturing and development perspective so to me, the LS is built to be made as fast and as low cost as possible. I know all about the special block and head deck finishes used to allow MLS gaskets to survive with marginal head fasteners. I am intimately familiar with the development and issues surrounding the glass filled nylon roller lifter trays that were/are the fundamental design consideration cutting the manufacturing costs of a pushrod engine so GM could avoid an OHC design.

Some of my LS experience is positive. Some of it is not. They can be part of an adequate, cost effective, trouble free powertrain.

I dont like gremlins. If you do a V8 swap, you will likely have them at a very inconvenient time. These teething issues will take time to clear. How soon is the trip?
Take care of the maintenance issues including the head gasket at this mileage( before the HG goes and you bend a head and have it out of acceptable limits on the resurface) and replace your head bolts with ARP studs. Yes, the Supra 2JZ-GTE studs are fine. Then you are set for the future. Save your money for a Joey turbo ( if he decides to make more). Or, a Landtank SC.

I wanna throw in one thing nobody has brought up yet.

MPG. Ya ya I get it you don’t do a swap for gas mileage. But for argument sake let’s say the two options are rebuild a 1FZ or throw in a LS. And let’s say you want to drive this everyday, ever-where for the foreseeable future. “The 1FZ is wayyyy cheaper then it is to throw in a LS correctly”. Ya okay agreed. But then you throw in another 1FZ and then okay ya you want some power so you Supercharge or Turbo it. Currently boosting a 1FZ reliably you aren’t getting done for under 5-6k. Just for the boost. And that’s before rebuilding the 1FZ. Fantastic. So now you have a boosted 1FZ that requires premium and gets 10MPG on a hard day and let’s say 14MPG on a really nice and easy day.

So then you look at the LS route and it doesn’t look as stupid. Sure there is more intial cost but then you have a power plant that has all the 21st century modern perks with more power, better fuel efficiency, runs on regular gas, and has parts at every auto part store.

Just playing devils advocate. I LOVE my supercharged 1FZ. I have scratched the power itch. And it runs great. I would say I average 13 MPG here in Colorado which I’m impressed by for the mountain passes I drive almost daily. But being 21, not having any plans of selling it anytime soon, my truck having 285k, it’s foolish not to think about the future. Also, being in an oil and gas law class, it has really made me pessimistic about the future of gas prices.

I’m a Toyota diehard and have so much love for the 1FZ. But it never hurts to look at all the options.

Also worth saying the LS swapped cruisers I know average closer to 16-20MPG then they do to 10-14MPG. That almost is sneaking up on a 30-40% increase in range. That’s pretty cool

If you are serious about selling the engine and transmission, could you let me know what state you are in? I'm in NC. Thanks.
I sent you a PM regarding a motor and trans for sale days ago. In SC, Spartanburg area

not to say a swap cant be done properly bust most seem to be hack jobs and look terrible. I looked at one 10 years ago before buying my rig that had a 5.3 in it and it was disgusting. I dont daily mine so it just for fun but I also like the sound of a straight six over a v8.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom