All kinds of malfunctions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Did the OP post the codes? There is a string on this - and I experienced as well - oddly it was the MAF (needed cleaning) and the PCV needed replacing.

Weird

Well, after getting the car back from mechanic and cleared the codes, drove around for 4 days no problem, until today on the highway at 1 degree, on came the lights again. I played around on icy parking lot with the crawl control just to get to use 4Lo. Lights came on shortly after that (although I don't think it's related). I will tell the mechanic to unplug the battery and replug, or replace the battery. My guy is very methodical and good, he would not jump to conclusions and just to rip things apart just to make money, he'd take his time to really test, unfortunately, he simply has limited time to dedicate to me alone... (and there probably isn't anything wrong so it'll never show itself).

Thanks VooDoo! Honestly I have never played with the center diff lock yet. Anyway, I couldn’t wait so took the car to Lexus. They scanned and looked around, and they did and said these: 1)updated some transmission software 2) cleared the codes 3) see my power steering fluid was leaking 4) see rear shock leaking and 5) think my transmission may be junked as the fluid has a “different” viscosity the product they’d use, 6) updated passenger window software. And 7) don’t know what else could be wrong and ask me to drive a few days. Worst case scenario may need a new transmission.

I had to give it a laugh. They didn’t know that I sprayed FF all over, so I was surprised to hear they think only the steer and one shock was leaking, EVERYTHING should be leaking lol. Plus, wouldn’t they be able to verify if fluids are leaking by checking their reservoirs?? Basically, the verdict is they also don’t know what’s going on.

Thanks very much! So, I did, went to an open field, though all was frozen, there’s still lots of dry weed and gravel. I did these: 1) comes to stop, foot on brake but stay in D, pressed CDL, the light came on two seconds later, but followed by a center screen “VSC off”, foot off the brake and let car roll; 2) come to stop, shift to N, then CDL, again, says VSC off, drove slowly; 3) stop, shift to N, engage 4Lo, then CDL, again, says VSC off, let car roll in 4Lo

and 5) played with crawl control, again, reads VSC off

upload_2019-1-22_21-7-49.jpeg

The car is just too capable! Found some frozen ice/large puddle, but even doing nothing it’ll drive right cross! Anyway, turned CDL on and off and drove across the ice a few times

So yesterday morning I turned on the LC and it made this shuddering and grinding sound for about 5 secs. I immediately turned it off and when I turned it on again everything was fine. This has happened to me a couple of times over the past two years. Is this the same problem? It was cold here in Denver. And I essentially never use the CDL though I do occasionally switch into 4Lo. Do I need to exercise CDL? Do I need to have my battery checked?

Dan, There is a brake self test that is done every so often (on startup) that makes some weird noises. The car can also do a trans test which includes cycling the CDL. If you shut down right as the CDL is unlocking the solinoid can be not locked into either ON or the OFF position so you can hear it trying to figure out where it was supposed to be.

The other noises can be when crawl activates its makes VERY weird and alarming sounds. The first time you hear it you think its broken and/or about to cost you a LOT. Dont stress, the noises are completely normal and part of the vehicles braking system.

USE CDL for a few mins every month, in cold climates, every WEEK. Keep that solinoid moving

Thanks, @VooDoo2! I was not aware of the brake self test or the trans test. This only happens to me at start up. I have experienced some noises that sounded more like gear grinding the one time I attempted to switch to 4Lo without having shifted into Neutral. But I only made that mistake once and I use 4Lo off pavement many times. I rarely use CRAWL though it did get me up a particularly gnarly boulder-strewn incline once. Going downhill I just use 4Lo and S1 or S2. I don't remember ever using the CDL. So I am going to start exercising it a bit now and then. Even then, it sounds like the braking and/or trans test is a normal albeit very occasional thing.

So after playing with CDL & 4Lo system during the freezing days, the lights stayed off for a long interval, but as I’m writing this, they came on again. This time
It’s different. The Check Engine blinks as opposed to stay on. 4Lo blinks too. Otherwise the same. The car feels more vibrating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom