All HU and shifter bezel lights out (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok... I realize this has been posted a million times, but I feel like I am going insane looking for posts for this issue. Before I dive into ordering various bulbs, I wanted to check with the group first. I purchased an 01 LX recently and the backlight is out on every single button on the HU (AC/Diff light/hazards/antenna/windshield defrost) and on the shifter bezel (shifter/seat heaters/PWR/2ND). None of the background lights work. Interestingly, all of the button lights work when pushed. The unit is pitch black at night and I have to turn on the overhead lights to work the AC. The previous owner installed a pioneer head unit and I'm afraid something happened during installation? All of the lights are working on the dash. Has anyone had this issue after the installation of an aftermarket HU? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, everyone!

Yes - I have checked all the fuses.

IMG_4322.jpeg
IMG_4324.jpeg

Last edited:
Ok... I realize this has been posted a million times, but I feel like I am going insane looking for posts for this issue. Before I dive into ordering various bulbs, I wanted to check with the group first. I purchased an 01 LX recently and the backlight is out on every single button on the HU (AC/Diff light/hazards/antenna/windshield defrost) and on the shifter bezel (shifter/seat heaters/PWR/2ND). None of the background lights work. Interestingly, all of the button lights work when pushed. The unit is pitch black at night and I have to turn on the overhead lights to work the AC. The previous owner installed a pioneer head unit and I'm afraid something happened during installation? All of the lights are working on the dash. Has anyone had this issue after the installation of an aftermarket HU? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, everyone!

Yes - I have checked all the fuses.

View attachment 2404431
Bump. Similar experience in my 99' LX. A month after buying the Radio/Cd/Tape deck stopped working along with lights on temp guage, AC lights, etc, etc.

AC still functions and one of the seat heater lights work. Fuses all check out fine. Pulled the dash and investigated behind stock radio. No luck nothing loose.

It looks like the illumination wires got cut in the install. You will need to find out what bundle they came out of. To do this pull the center bezel and determine which plug they fed into. They may have cut them and installed them into the stereo. Did you say there is no display on the Pioneer head unit? The solid green and striped green are your illumination wires as shown above. Looks like possible C9 of C20.

It looks like the illumination wires got cut in the install. You will need to find out what bundle they came out of. To do this pull the center bezel and determine which plug they fed into. They may have cut them and installed them into the stereo. Did you say there is no display on the Pioneer head unit? The solid green and striped green are your illumination wires as shown above. Looks like possible C9 of C20.

I guess I don’t understand how you wouldn’t have to cut these wires when installing a new HU. The green and green/white wires were connected to the original HU. The pioneer unit works perfectly and Illuminates. I guess I’m wondering where other people have connected these wires! I’m literally going crazy.

You do not need to cut any factory wires when installing a head unit. You can use a metra harness. You will need to determine where they were cut from and reconnect. Was this a vehicle that had been converted from a navigation vehicle or do you know?

Ohhhhh no. Then I have no idea how this was installed. It did not have navigation, and the amp has been removed completely.

If you have a good grasp of troubleshooting wiring I can post the location of all the plugs so you can track down the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom