All doors and tailgate will unlock but will not lock (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I do not have a remote for the LC but when using either side of the driver or passenger door. I can unlock all doors but cannot lock them, I'd have to physically do it each time. When I try to lock I hear a tick, as if the relay is trying to do it but wont. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Does this happen in hot and cold weather?
My doors won't lock if it gets very hot outside.

Wouldn't hurt to start with a cleaning on one of them and see if there are improvements. Possible replacement of the actuator
You think it could be all 4 doors and the rear latch that has a bad actuator? I read somewhere else it could be a door electrical harness that can affect the rest of the vehicle but I am not too sure. I just hate to just throw parts at it is all.

You think it could be all 4 doors and the rear latch that has a bad actuator? I read somewhere else it could be a door electrical harness that can affect the rest of the vehicle but I am not too sure. I just hate to just throw parts at it is all.
I doubt all of them went bad, but I am not a expert on anything wiring. Unless someone else with more experience with the issue chimes in, if it were me, I would start with cleaning one.

Do you have any leaks? Maybe a relay went bad. They're on the back side of the fuse panel in the drivers side footwell.

Does this happen in hot and cold weather?
My doors won't lock if it gets very hot outside.
There's a fix for this one... not sure if it would also solve the OP's issue but maybe.

Search Youtube... I can't recall the guys name or channel but I think there are several YouTube videos out there showing you how to put new motors in your door locks.
It boils down to pulling out the actuator, cracking open the black plastic motor housing, replacing the dc motor, then epoxy the housing shut and re-install the actuator mechanism. A full actuator is expensive - something like $125? It might even be more. The dc motors are more like $2 each, so all 5 doors costs maybe $20-30 with epoxy and some lube. The repair is a little cumbersome because you have to remove each door panel, deal with the vapor barrier, remove the actuator, etc., but it's not difficult. I think the first door might have taken me a couple hours, but by the time I got to the last door it was more like 30-45 minutes. I did leave the actuators to sit overnight to be sure the epoxy had fully hardened.

84903-60020 (About $60 at Lexus) I broke this twice installing a door lock actuator. This is the actual harness that controls the "follow-me" locking system. I attempted the first time to repair it with epoxy and I had the opposite happen. Everything would lock. But not unlock. Perhaps this might be the culprit? There are three of these (front doors and tailgate) I believe. It's an easy thing to check if you have the door cards pulled. It sits on the lock cylinders. If it is not making good contact you get weird results. If it not this then you know for a fact it is actuators. Yes, all four can go out at once. Usually from water intrusion from windows. Drastic temperatures hot or cold can make actuators freak out. I hope this was helpful. Good luck.

P.S. It turned out I didn't need to replace my actuators but replace one harness and reinstall the passenger side one that came off from 20 years of door slamming.

Drastic temperatures hot or cold can make actuators freak out.
Yep. I noticed mine with heat. In fact since my car is black, for awhile whichever side of the car was facing the sun would not work, but the side shaded from the sun worked fine.

Yep. I noticed mine with heat. In fact since my car is black, for awhile whichever side of the car was facing the sun would not work, but the side shaded from the sun worked fine.
Mine is also black. But I only had the weird locking issue. Now you know for sure its actuators. Check Rock auto they carry Aisin. I believe there are some discount codes floating around on here as well. 1999 LEXUS LX470 4.7L V8 Door Lock Actuator | RockAuto - https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/lexus,1999,lx470,4.7l+v8,1356094,body+&+lamp+assembly,door+lock+actuator,13257

Wanted to get additional coded keys, vedor had to order. Upon arrival, they still couldn't code, as driver's door will ONLY Lock w/the key (after they couldn't code it). I ordered 4 of the above referenced little motors, (just to have as spares) And 1 complete actuator for Driver's door w/cables. It's going to be couple weekends before installation, but off topic as it's never affected all 4 doors and rr. Just hoping once done somebody other than dealer can code the things?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom