All 4 brakes seem to be dragging. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
91 HDJ81 1HDT. So I've been plagued by stuck brake calipers over the last year or so and now that all 4 have been replaced and about 10k miles put on with out issue it seems that all 4 brakes are dragging to the point of needing low range to move without skyrocketing the EGTS.

I parked it up gave it a look over and everything seems fine so I took it out for another drive thinking it was just one caliper locking up so I could identify it with the IR thermometer. After a lap around the block and a really hard brake peddle I took the temp of each wheel and fronts were dead even at 180F and the rears were 100F & the ambient temp is around 25F.

Possible causes?

1. Master cylinder sticking
2 Brake booster doing things it shouldn't
3. Vac pump also being a bastard

Anyone have a direction they can aim me?

Having had an almost identical problem on my BJ42, I put my money on the master. It is as if he does not release the pressure exerted on the calipers.

The only 2 solutions I had was either to wait (I'm not recalling (it was in 2007) ... say 2 or 3 hours) or unscrew a bleeder on one of the calipers to release the pressure.

Then, after a random time, the situation recurring.

Having had an almost identical problem on my BJ42, I put my money on the master. It is as if he does not release the pressure exerted on the calipers.

The only 2 solutions I had was either to wait (I'm not recalling (it was in 2007) ... say 2 or 3 hours) or unscrew a bleeder on one of the calipers to release the pressure.

Then, after a random time, the situation recurring.
Bad master cylinder. Its the only thing that creates or holds pressure in the braking system. Get an OEM unit if you can.

Awesome that's all I needed to start throwing money at the problem.

Will update when parts go on

Bad master cylinder. Its the only thing that creates or holds pressure in the braking system. Get an OEM unit if you can.
When you release the built-up pressure at one of wheels, you should hear a faint ticking or click at the master cylinder as it resets. If you hear that, the master is bad. I went through 2 rebuilt master cylinders with the same issue. After installing a new, not rebuilt, OEM unit, I've been free to move on to the next issue...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom