Alignment shop for 40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Crush 4

SILVER Star
Threads
Hello everyone, looking for an alignment shop in the metro Detroit area or will travel to the right shop for quality work. Has an HFS lift, 4”, new TRE, bilsteins but is a bit scary to drive. 33” on steelies, tires 9 years old lots of tread

Open to any ideas and shops etc

Thx in advance

I don't know of a shop but 4" of lift might have you in need of caster shims. If your front axle has rotated too far forward it will put caster near zero and feel very sketchy when driving. The shims are wedges in the degree you choose and rotate it back to where your front wheels will seek center when you let go of the wheel. There should be some threads about it in the 40 series forum.
The only other adjustment you can do is toe in (which is somewhere around 1/8" I think). Any alignment shop can do this but it will also help with stability.

One other quick thing- if you are getting vibration out of the rear, the rear axle may need the shims too to make the output flange of the t-case parallel (or close) to the flange of the rear axle.

Try the phone app "clinometer+bubble" to make your phone a super tool for finding degrees on your parts.

Good luck!

I don't know of a shop but 4" of lift might have you in need of caster shims. If your front axle has rotated too far forward it will put caster near zero and feel very sketchy when driving. The shims are wedges in the degree you choose and rotate it back to where your front wheels will seek center when you let go of the wheel. There should be some threads about it in the 40 series forum.
The only other adjustment you can do is toe in (which is somewhere around 1/8" I think). Any alignment shop can do this but it will also help with stability.
One other quick thing- if you are getting vibration out of the rear, the rear axle may need the shims too to make the output flange of the t-case parallel (or close) to the flange of the rear axle.

Try the phone app "clinometer+bubble" to make your phone a super tool for finding degrees on your parts.

Good luck!

Thanks for the info. My understanding is that if you have a reverse shackle you may not need the Shim’s? I am getting vibration in the rear.
Thx

Thanks for the info. My understanding is that if you have a reverse shackle you may not need the Shim’s? I am getting vibration in the rear.
Thx
A reverse shackle could help but it still depends on how much and which way the axle housing gets rotated.
It sounds like shims will help the vibrations. I did those in my 40 and is rolls down the highway super smooth now (at a whole 63 mph!).

Also start looking over the steering box, relay rod, and especially the center arm for slop. The lift will amplify any loosness there. I know it is daunting but you'll get it and love it when it is right.

A reverse shackle could help but it still depends on how much and which way the axle housing gets rotated.
It sounds like shims will help the vibrations. I did those in my 40 and is rolls down the highway super smooth now (at a whole 63 mph!).

Also start looking over the steering box, relay rod, and especially the center arm for slop. The lift will amplify any loosness there. I know it is daunting but you'll get it and love it when it is right.

thanks. Where do I get and what size shims do I use. I hit search button and can't find how to install. Is it easy?
I will check other steering components, open to ideas on how to check?

Signed
Rookie!!

Thanks

I think I just bought some Pro Comp 4° shims from summit or jegs. Cool Cruisers and Cruiser Corps sell them too. The shims were super easy but the crappy part was that the alignment pin in the spring stack was too short. I fabbed a couple up because I was at my shop and the torn apart 40 was my only way home! I think the above shops sell longer pins too and it becomes an easy job. Just check degrees wit the phone app to see what shim size you need to get the rear flanges parallel. The front I am not sure on. A post in the 40 section would probably get answers pretty quick

Thanks
Did some searching getting some ideas. Trying to understand how to figure out my current caster so I know what Shim’s I need.
Here is a few pics for comparison to yours

D8CAA9D9-4370-4701-8DCB-1EDFFF89A520.jpeg

FC040ACF-6CD8-4AA9-BB45-B779B8D978BC.jpeg

37BF9820-E0E1-4FE3-B05B-C46834676AC6.jpeg

Do you know the condition of the steering center arm? That adds a lot of extra pivots and joints to the system.
Thx got it out of CA mostly original paint

I don’t , how do you check steering arm. Take any advice

crush 4, where you driving home from the up this sat? we saw a gorgeous 40 on a trailer for a bit on our way home. I think it was on US 2.

And did you get anywhere on driveability? I hate to have that beautiful 40 be something you DON'T want to drive.

And did you get anywhere on driveability? I hate to have that beautiful 40 be something you DON'T want to drive.

Still need to improve steering. Heard there is a shop in Fenton?
But yep still driving it and amazed at how many people check it out!

You can check to see if the front wheels are toe in or toe out. Put a thumb tack in a lug on front of each tire at the horizontal centerline. Measure the distance between the thumb tacks. Roll the vehicle rear ward until the thumb tacks are horizontal in the rear and measure again. If the front measurement is larger you're toe out, smaller you're toe in. A toe out condition would cause the vehicle to wander. ed

I’ll be over at Selfridge from Monday through the following Sunday. If my schedule allows I’d love to meet and check out your rig.

Ok I will be gone most of the week but maybe Sat or Sunday?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom