Alignment results after OME Lift Install (1 Viewer)

Romer

fatherofdaughterofromer
I installed the OME lift on my Cruiser, thanks to Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters. Along with my soft top from Trollhole
Top after fix.JPG

I took it for an alignment today. They did get the Toe right on the mark. I was looking for the other measurements to see if I should add Shims

I'll drive it a bit and see how it feels. This likely isn't big enough a delta to be an issue. Next time I am in there I might add a shim just to bring it into spec to see if it makes any difference. Its the engineer in me

Looking like these 1.5 deg shims for the left side to bring it to the top side of the spec and these 2.0 deg shims for the right side

would I need to do something about the center pin with this style? I like this style so I can loosen and insert rather than lowering the spring off the center perch

Here are my alignment results

Alignment.JPG

If your going to get shims to fix the caster-aim for around 3 degrees, it will track down the road better than the factory spec of 1 degree. Also I would install the same shims on each side or you will have spring seat issue I would imagine. Most vehicles have around 3 degrees of caster. Luxury cruiser cars have more like 6 degrees.

Romer

fatherofdaughterofromer
Thanks for the tips

I am assuming you mean 3 deg of Caster, not 3 deg shims

Will these work with the factory center pin or will I need to do something with that.

Edit: I read the site. I need to measure the pins on the OME Springs to see how much room they have

Romer

fatherofdaughterofromer
Kurt hooked me up with OME 3 deg Shims made for these springs. Cruiseroutfitters is a great resource!

He also confirmed the center pin would not be an issue

Romer

fatherofdaughterofromer
I just redid the alignment after replacing the Tie rod ends and it shows the delta shims make. Thought I should share . . . .

I am not concerned about the 1.5 being over spec as those specs are for manual steering

alignment.JPG

tyama

SILVER Star
Hiya, just curious, what size tires are you running and what was your drivability before and after shimming? I think I put 3 degree on mine with longer shackles and it seems to drive fine.

Best, Ty
:beer:

Well those specs look better. If your not satisfied with how well it tracks down the road you can always go for the 6 degree shims. I think part of the reason for factory spec only being around 1 degree is because the more caster you have the greater steering effort it takes to turn which is a problem with manual steering. So they had to compromise some I bet.

Romer

fatherofdaughterofromer
Well those specs look better. If your not satisfied with how well it tracks down the road you can always go for the 6 degree shims. I think part of the reason for factory spec only being around 1 degree is because the more caster you have the greater steering effort it takes to turn which is a problem with manual steering. So they had to compromise some I bet.

Hiya, just curious, what size tires are you running and what was your drivability before and after shimming? I think I put 3 degree on mine with longer shackles and it seems to drive fine.

Best, Ty
:beer:

• 33x10.5x15 BFG ATKOs. It rode better on the street. I just put them in today after it was at a shop getting the diffs rebuilt, new axles, cross members welded in, new TREs, and a rear disc brake conversion. I need to take it on the highway to know for sure I am completely happy with it. The wheels didn't have the correct backspace so I also put on 1/4 spacers today along with the shims and took it to get aligned.

Before the shims it would tend to wander and jump a bit on a rutted highway under construction. I am almost done with my build and then I will do a full thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom