Alcan Springs - Do FJ55's have a lean like 40's? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I would have thought the angle would have been less.

me too. I liked it better with the extended shackle. I pulled the springs this morning and am sending them back to Alcan. Sounds like they'll swap a couple of leaves and send them back. I'm nervous they will now over-compensate and I'll have more lift than I want. We shall see shortly.

Full droop, followed by ride height...

27050883-D4F6-4768-AD9B-A55519C3A44F.jpeg
1F47AE16-241E-4999-A8EF-52CF8AC78CB5.jpeg

That is without payload...

Eeesh, looks like time to paint the frame...

Or IS it?

got my springs back from Alcan and mounted them up with some OME Shocks from Cruiser Outfitters. Alcan re-arched them and shipped them back within 24 hrs. That last pic I posted must have been at just the right angle because it looks the same, but it now sits about 1" taller in the front and 1 1/4" in the back which is exactly what I asked them to do. Feels like it rides the same as before so that's awesome. I love driving this thing.

I was hoping for original blue and white paint this winter, but I might just enjoy if for a while first.

IMG_1654.jpg

IMG_1655.jpg

@onemanarmy, No idea on the current colors. I have to admit, it looks way better now with different wheels and lift than it did with little tires on gold rims. I do like the basic non-metallic colors of vintage cruisers though. Some of those old colors, like the calf poop brown of my 40, wouldn't look right on just about any other vehicle except a landcruiser.

So now that my springs are installed I have a lean to the drivers side of about 1". Passenger side sits higher. I didn't have the lean before. I know 40's have that issue. Do 55's as well? I didn't have it as far as I could tell before my lift. When I instaled my springs the first time it looked like I had a lean then it settled out. Now after the second install i've driven it around and it's not settling out.

Are there any adjustments I've neglected in the steering or otherwise that would cause it? The only thing I can figure is the springs are arc'd more on the passenger side. Called Alcan and they are baffled. Anyone come across this before?

Thought about swapping springs from right to left on front or back to see if anything changes. But since I've already installed the springs twice on this, I'm not looking forward to it.

I remember we talked about how we found what we thought was a stock shim on the passenger side. Maybe try removing that to see if it compensates? Or did you reinstall it when you put your springs back on?

Well, I'm just the opposite. Cruiser lean bugged the heck out of me. I finally switched rear springs and it pretty much is level. I believe my springs (OME) are made for the lean and are marked as such. Everybody has their own thorns in their sides, it's how we deal with them that counts.

Forgive my ignorance, but how can 1" make a difference worth a hill of beans in a leaf sprung truck?

It doesn't make a difference in performance I'm sure. But its a little frustrating when the truck sat level before and now it looks like something's broken under there. All my neighbors that follow me down the road are wondering why I didn't slow down on the thanksgiving pie.

yes, my stock 55 has a serious lean to the driver side. An inch or more.

before I swapped springs, I'd try and fully flex it out, in both directions, to fully work/stress the springs, then see how they settle out.

I'll have to try that. I loaded up my 4 bros after thanksgiving dinner and did a little wheeling up the road thinking that might settle things down. I guess we didn't eat enough.

The absolute best way to break in Springs.

Go to Home Depot. But 800# of Quick Crete.

Take 45 degree passes for though a ditch. Not rocks. A flat ditch. This will stretch front and back at the same time.

Return the quick Crete

Maybe I'll try the ditch trick. I figured some wheeling with my four 180-200 lb bros would do the trick. Flexed it out on some ramps today several times. No difference.

When I sent my springs back I asked them to make them 1" / 1 1/4" higher than they were. Coincidentally, the passenger side is exactly 1 1/4" higher than my drivers side. I'm beginning to think Alcan worked on two of my springs but forgot the other two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom