alcan lift (1 Viewer)

ya like alcan springs

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
ha guys im worse than a woman on making my mind up on my lift.im looking into alcan springs pro cons anyone.and i hear no shims are needed.my shakles are like 5and a half or so.of course i know i still need the high steer and ubolts.my shocks are rancho 9000,am i missing anything.and do i still need to rotate the pinions.no cutting or turning.sorry for my first grade level here.im not real educated on lifts thank in advance

ridgerunner said:
Completely satisfied with my Alcans and would recommend them again.

How high are you looking to go? Tire size? Goals for the truck? Why are you now opposed to a spring over?
im not opposed to soa its just more work than i want right now,this rig is my dd.with my larger shackles im only wanting to clear 35 inch tires i already found 35/10.5 15 inch tires that im going to go pick up

I voted ya, but only in my FJ40. Pismo Jim had problems with his Alcans in his FJ60. I have the pre-Dakar OMEs on my FJ60, but they won't clear 35s. If 35s are your goal tire size, a SOA might suit you needs, but that's a big tire for a daily driver. 33s will fit easier and be better for your daily use.

Cruiserdrew said:
I voted ya, but only in my FJ40. Pismo Jim had problems with his Alcans in his FJ60. I have the pre-Dakar OMEs on my FJ60, but they won't clear 35s. If 35s are your goal tire size, a SOA might suit you needs, but that's a big tire for a daily driver. 33s will fit easier and be better for your daily use.
before i bought the rig it had 34s

cruiser88 said:
im not opposed to soa its just more work than i want right now,this rig is my dd.with my larger shackles im only wanting to clear 35 inch tires i already found 35/10.5 15 inch tires that im going to go pick up

So is a spring over inevitable? Because if it was, I doubt I'd bother to do any other suspension work other than what I originally wanted.

All or nothing.

ridgerunner said:
So is a spring over inevitable? Because if it was, I doubt I'd bother to do any other suspension work other than what I originally wanted.

All or nothing.
this thing is never going to be a weekend warrior just want to clear those tires.and take the thing out on the trails once in awhile:D

cruiser88 said:
this thing is never going to be a weekend warrior just want to clear those tires.and take the thing out on the trails once in awhile:D

This truck belongs to Roy Penner. IIRC, at the time the picture was taken it had a 2.5" lift with clearenced front fenders. Wheels were 15x10 with 35" meats.

.slide_100_0629.JPG

If I was ordering springs from Alcan, I'd probably go 3.5", with the shackle end 1" longer than stock. 2" longer than stock shackles. But I'm a fan of low lift with fat tires. I'd also go with a wider tire than a 10.5 to retain some stability, especially with a 15" wheel.

ridgerunner said:
This truck belongs to Roy Penner. IIRC, at the time the picture was taken it had a 2.5" lift with clearenced front fenders. Wheels were 15x10 with 35" meats.

.slide_100_0629.JPG

If I was ordering springs from Alcan, I'd probably go 3.5", with the shackle end 1" longer than stock. 2" longer than stock shackles. But I'm a fan of low lift with fat tires. I'd also go with a wider tire than a 10.5 to retain some stability, especially with a 15" wheel.
thanks for your post and pictures:D im feeling a 4 inch springs from them and my shackles are somewhere between 5/1/2 to almost 6 inches.they are big:eek: .now my question is if i go to a wider tire will i need spacers i have them now and 3 or 4 lug studs broke on one side yesterday and its only quarter inch spacers.but i believe those aftermarket rims i have now are a really deep dish

cruiser88 said:
thanks for your post and pictures:D im feeling a 4 inch springs from them and my shackles are somewhere between 5/1/2 to almost 6 inches.they are big:eek: .now my question is if i go to a wider tire will i need spacers i have them now and 3 or 4 lug studs broke on one side yesterday and its only quarter inch spacers.but i believe those aftermarket rims i have now are a really deep dish

If you go with a 2" longer shackle, you'll be netting 1" of lift. By having Alcan extend the spring another 1" on the shackle end, you'll be taking up more of of the overall length of the shackle so you won't be getting as much height out of the shackle as you'd think, but your overall ride quality will be better. Plus the longer shackle will allow the spring to move all the way through it's arc.

I did this on my rear Alcans, and regret nothing. The ride is better than the springs I replaced, and I have approximately 10" of travel at the bumpstop (or would if my shocks were longer).

I'd order some rockcrawlers with the correct backspacing to negate the need for spacers; they're only one more piece to potentially fail, although others might tell you differently.

ok not to sound like a dumass but how long is the factory shackle.and are you trying to say in my thread that the 4 inch is not as good as the 3 and a half for the max lift:D smack me silly

cruiser88 said:
ok not to sound like a dumass but how long is the factory shackle.and are you trying to say in my thread that the 4 inch is not as good as the 3 and a half for the max lift:D smack me silly

Can't answer the shackle question. Height is up to you.

Good luck!:beer:

ok hell with the lift till i can do a proper soa i will just slap on a 33 inch tires.on board air and a front end rebuild:D were is a good vender that sales a cheap set of black spokes

Stock shackle length is 3"

My stockers measure 3 3/8 up front, and as i recall the rears are just under 4 inches.

That was according to SOR site and what I took off my 82.

60's have 3in front and rear, 62's have 3in fronts, 3.5in rears

I have 4" alcans and about 1.5" of shackle lift. I clear 35's with just a hint of rubbing (loaded). The wheels have a backspacing of 2.5" which helps a lot. Alcan makes a fantastic spring. Mine are designed to carry a lot of extra weight and retain their 4"s of lift. That said, if I were to do it all over again, I think I would lean toward some flat Alcan's and a SOA. The setup would yield a similar height, maybe a tad taller, but the ride would be much better. With the length of shackle we are discussing caster shims are a must, and steering geometery is less than ideal leading to a lot of bumpsteer. Overall I am pleased with my setup. It has been offroad many times, often with a load, and has gotten me everywhere I've tried to go. I would be practical in my decision making Ask yourself what you really want 35's for. Is it for looks, or for performance. If for looks then cram them in there, if for performance then seriously consider a low SOA. My two cents.

Last edited:
If your goal is 35" go with SO with flat springs .. stock ( aftermarket ) shackles and you are done ..

I thought ( just IMOP ) more than 3" in SU to clear 35" means really arched springs .. sometimes it donsen't make sense to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom