Events/Trails Alaska Road Trip with my new '97 LC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks for the links and comments, y'all. I'm reading them as I have access to wifi--which is one of the first things I have realized is limited. There is no cell service. None. It might just be my provider limiting me to a certain network here. I use Ting who uses Sprint's network. But as a back up, I have both a VHF/UHF and a HF ham radio setup in my truck with an Icom 706-MKgII. My call is N0OG, if you care. I'll post more about that another time. There have been reliable repeaters 40-50 miles from each town thus far. Many of the gas stations and visitors centers have wifi--along with the usual fare of Walmarts, Starbucks, McDonalds, etc.

Today we are in Dawson Creek about to make our run North for the day. We arrived here by way of the Ice Fields Parkway which runs through Banff and Jasper National Park west of Calgary. We are doing this trip with NO campground reservations so we are more flexible with our schedule. We have some anchor places along the route that we try to get to, but no solid plans. So when we are in between anchor points, we just keep an eye out for camping signs. There is some risk with doing this, of course. You might not find a site. But you also might find a diamond in the rough, which is what happens 2 nights ago. We found in between McBride and Prince George a small camping sign that pointed off the road. As we slowed to turn the sign said Lake Lasalle. Driving down the steep rutted road towards the site, we were a bit apprehensive. This campground seemed abandoned by the government. But the area was beautiful. There was no pay station and no services. But since we're set up for dry docking, this was no problem. Here's a couple pics of the setup and of our view.

We have been using the annex that zips along the overhand with a rubber floor bottom--which is where I sleep on a cot--but we've had a few days of rain at the last campsite and the annex canvas leaked a bit which caused water to pool on the rubber floor. It wasn't bad, but combine that with the pain of set up and tear down of the annex, it was more than I cared to deal with at Lasalle Lake. So this night we tried to squeeze all five of us into the tent; me (6'2", 270lbs), wife, teenage son, tween son, 6 y/o daughter. It wasn't as bad as I thought. The condensation was a little bad, but we'll try different things to remedy that. I also have some 3M waterproof spray with me that I'll treat the annex with. I'm sure we'll use it again.

Last night was a hotel night in Dawson Creek. We got showered up and warmed up and slept on some nice beds. Today we'll officially be on the Alaska Highway (hwy 97) and will try to make it to Summit Lake campground in the Northern Rocky Mountains Provincial Park.

I've completely lost track of how many days we've been on the road. We left last Friday. Do the math.

Stay tuned...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom