Alarm Malfunction on my 98 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After unlocking my 98 with the keyless entry it will sometimes kick off the alarm when I open the door. Anyone else have this happen to them? I wouldnt mind disconnecting the alarm if I had to. I know my neighbors are getting tired of it.

I just had the same thing happen to me last week. My Keyless entry also would not lock the doors. Check that the key in the door lock unlocks and locks all doors. That was my problem bad contact at the passanger door key tumbler

Warren

alarm system problems

I also have a problem with my 98 alarm system. 165k
I often leave my keys in the ignition and hardly ever lock the car. Last week, after sitting with the keys in the ignition and several windows open, the alarm went off. It later again went off again with the keys in the ignition and the rear hatch open. I later sneaked back to talk to my mechanic at the Toyota dealer and he was concerned that it might be hard to track when it goes off with the keys in the ignition and that it might be expensive to fix. I would just as soon disconect the system but he stated that it interups the
ECU starting program if disconnected. In reading the FSM I can find only diognostic help with the key out of the ignition. I parked the
truck and disconnected the battery. Help!

After unlocking my 98 with the keyless entry it will sometimes kick off the alarm when I open the door. Anyone else have this happen to them? I wouldnt mind disconnecting the alarm if I had to. I know my neighbors are getting tired of it.

Has this ever been resolved?

This JUST started happening to my 98 at 165K. I unlock the doors via the remote, the lights flash and the doors unlock as normal without issue, but when I open the door the alarm starts to go off.

If I then push the unlock button a couple times, the alarm stops sounding and all is fine.

Rich

This might sound from out in left field but when you press the unlock button do all of the doors actually unlock? Maybe one of the doors isn't unlocking so the alarm sees a locked door and a door opening so it thinks glass has been broken and it trips the alarm.

Same thing has happened to me. did you lock it with the remote or with the switch on the door? On a side note, I can't stand my remote. I think it has a range of about 38". I can't even unlock the rig from the tailgate.

I have only locked and unlocked it via the remote. I haven't yet tried with the key or via the switch as it has just started happening.

The remote key works quite well for me actually. I get about 30-40 ft or so.

I have not seen if all doors unlock or not. The bizarre thing is, the lights on the truck flash so SOMETHING has registered that it has received the signal to unlock, and successfully unlocks the doors, but for whatever reason, that signal isn't read by the ECM properly to disarm the alarm.

Past few days, everything has been fine now with no issues. I'm almost wondering if it is a problem with the ECM itself? I'll likely have to break out the wiring diagram and see what the logic is...fun fun fun!

Rich

Could the problem with the alarm going off be another water issue? I.e. water ingress in the ECU.
Leaking windshield? Moist footwell anyone?

If the remote has a short range, try changing the battery. My remote keys work at a range of 30-40 too, but not feet or inches, but meters. Only some places, typically in a city street or at a mall, it will reach only 20 feet or so. Suppose because of interference.

For me, I don't think its a water issue. It just started doing it during a period when we've had no rain at all. It rained like crazy yesterday all day and the alarm has been fine with no issues whatsoever both yesterday and today.

There is no evidence of moisture or water either after a rainstorm.

rich

I also have a problem with my 98 alarm system. 165k
I often leave my keys in the ignition and hardly ever lock the car. Last week, after sitting with the keys in the ignition and several windows open, the alarm went off. It later again went off again with the keys in the ignition and the rear hatch open. I later sneaked back to talk to my mechanic at the Toyota dealer and he was concerned that it might be hard to track when it goes off with the keys in the ignition and that it might be expensive to fix. I would just as soon disconect the system but he stated that it interups the
ECU starting program if disconnected. In reading the FSM I can find only diognostic help with the key out of the ignition. I parked the
truck and disconnected the battery. Help!
now that sucks........good luck

Rich, did you ever fix your alarm problem? My 98 LX is behavely exactly as yours was. It does it about 4 times a week now. It's getting annoying. Just looking for some pointers. Thanks.

Had the same issue on mine. Ended up switching out the fuse box on the drivers side. No issue since, but not an easy fix. Mechanic told me he's seen it before on occasion.

Nope, never did.

What I found works for me is if I unlock both drivers and passenger doors AND I wait for the lights to stop flashing, the alarm won't go off. If I'm quick on the draw and try to open the door just after it is unlocked, the alarm goes off. Or sometimes if I just unlock the driver's door, it will go off.

I haven't bothered to start tracing wiring diagrams to guess at what is sending a bad signal.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

rich

Wanted to close the loop on this thread.

My alarm problem ended up being due to a weak drivers door lock actuator. Occasionally, even though the actuator had physically unlocked the door, the signal to the ECU wasn't getting sent that the door was indeed unlocked (even though the ECM registered that it had received the unlock signal via the remote). Since replacing the actuator, haven't had the problem again.

rich

Wanted to close the loop on this thread.

My alarm problem ended up being due to a weak drivers door lock actuator. Occasionally, even though the actuator had physically unlocked the door, the signal to the ECU wasn't getting sent that the door was indeed unlocked (even though the ECM registered that it had received the unlock signal via the remote). Since replacing the actuator, haven't had the problem again.

rich

Rich, thanks for updating us. I posted in this thread 2.5 years ago, but found no fix yet, and it is the single biggest issue I'm having with this truck. I'm tired of waiting 5 seconds to open my door.

How did you determine that it was the driver's door lock actuator? Did you only replace the one in that door, or all of them?

Thanks!

Sorry, just saw the reply back now while searching for other things,

All of a sudden one day noticed that when the remote unlock button was hit, the visual indicator on the driver's door lock wasn't showing it as being opened. So I opened the door manually and then played with the power lock buttons and sure enough, the motor was getting weak.

It had never indicated that there was a problem before when I tested things previously, so I'm not sure how you'd be able to tell which actuator is going bad.

rich

I'm having this problem with my 99 it's the only thing I can't stand about my truck

I'm having this problem right now on my 98. This is the only thread I've found that is exactly my problem. I will unlock the car with the remote and everything will physically unlock (most of the time). Two things I've noticed: the driver's door actuator and the rear hatch actuator seem like they are getting weak but... if I am in the car with it running and lock / unlock the car more than a few times in a row all of the locks begin to start moving slowly and then stop moving period. If I wait a few minutes, they will begin to work properly and then shut down slowly if I move the switch multiple times again. This has started making me think it may be an issue in the master switch / module for the door locks. Has anybody resolve this issue yet?

I'm going to say to replace the actuators and see if that doesn't resolve the issue. I believe the locks and alarm are tied together so when the locks only partially move and you open the door, the alarm is triggered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom