SOLD AL: 1997 40th Anniversary Sage Locked Collector Quality (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 80 Series
Mileage
Color
rgb(174, 255, 0)
I have decided to sell my 40th Ann 80, Antique Sage with factory lockers. Apologies in advance if my asking price offends anyone, but I am asking $40k for it. I recently acquired a 100 series (2006 LC) and it is my daily driver now. Ultimately, I like the 100 series as a daily driver/ mall crawler, and it isn't a collector's quality vehicle so the accumulation of more miles doesn't matter to me. This 80 was an absolute joy to have during the pandemic when I was working from home a good bit (I would go on afternoon drives and refuel my soul...), but I am now driving more for work and enjoy the V8 and AHC in the '06 (don't hate me...). I know I am going to regret selling it, the only one I have seen that rivals it was the low mileage one that brought a ton on BAT.

I found this 80 in early 2020 (just before the world changed...) after hunting high and low. I have daily driven it since then, putting about 12k miles on it. It lived its life in CA (briefly), then NV for the vast majority of its years where it was well maintained. The seller for me flipped it - bought it from NV then titled it in WY (he was from Jackson). I had it inspected and driven before buying. The undercarriage is the condition you would expect from this description.

It was in great mechanical shape, but I have also invested a lot in it to keep it baselined - using OEM equipment when available for my maintenance. I wanted to have it at 100% when I offered it for sale, so I had it combed over by a mechanic and the cats replaced within the past few weeks. I was noticing some power loss, and that was the issue. I have maintenance records going back to around 60k miles, and it has been maintained by pros (I am not even a shade tree mechanic).

I added the Geolander tires shortly after purchase, so they have about 12k on them.

Everything mechanically works like a dream, other than the D light doesn't burn (Hey - it's an 80...). The 40th Ann logos on the side are the original raised stickers. The doors all have the VIN stickers.

The interior plastic sunroof housing is cracked and separated in one area, but still functions without any problem. The driver's side power seat control button is missing, but the power seat works (I had the common plastic bushing repair done). There are a couple of paint chips on the hood and a chip in the windshield (no crack) that I really don't notice. The front sombrero logo is chrome, which I do not think was standard for the Ann editions. I have the black version that I think was the original color that I will include in the sale, but I never got around to switching out.

All of the upholstery is original and very, very clean. 3rd row included and also clean, I have had wrapped and stored since I bought it because I never used.

An aftermarket radio was installed by a PO, and it works great with touchscreen and bluetooth integration for phones. There was also a mic cleanly installed by the visor. This is a dated model with no carplay capability, but the bluetooth streaming and phone functions work very well. (Better than in my 100, which is an upcoming project).

Serious inquiries can PM me and give me your cell and I can text cold starts and walk around videos.

IMG_4304.JPG

IMG_4306.JPG

IMG_4316.JPG

IMG_4311.JPG

IMG_4313.JPG

IMG_4317.JPG

IMG_4318.JPG

IMG_4307_LI.jpg

IMG_4308_LI.jpg

I think that’s a good price. May take time to find the buyer - the market is small- but there aren’t many like this left!

1637951136344.jpeg

1637953026213.jpeg

Very Nice!

Might help to post up a few undercarriage shots.

Were the cats replaced with OEM or aftermarket?

Thanks!

I gotta ask
Cracked plastics
Faded plastics

How is that collector quality?
Fair question, and I guess my answer is that any subjective description like that is in the eye of the beholder. You are correct, it isn't brand new, mint, or a museum piece. "Collector quality" is a descriptor I kind of came up with on my own for the listing - meaning to me that it is relatively rare and would be substantially devalued if you were to modify it much more away from stock at this point in time. The only one I've seen in the last 3 years +/- I have been watching the market that is better is the one that was clearly better on BAT that sold last year (only 40k~ miles and one owner). I'm sure there are others amazing examples out there, but they are hard to find for sale that have lived in non-snow/ salt states, are well under 200k, with lockers, and this clean inside. For many the Sage 40th is the iconic 80. YMMV.

Very Nice!

Might help to post up a few undercarriage shots.

Were the cats replaced with OEM or aftermarket?

Thanks!
Yes, the cats were OEM - nearly $2k in parts for the job.

Fair question, and I guess my answer is that any subjective description like that is in the eye of the beholder. You are correct, it isn't brand new, mint, or a museum piece. "Collector quality" is a descriptor I kind of came up with on my own for the listing - meaning to me that it is relatively rare and would be substantially devalued if you were to modify it much more away from stock at this point in time. The only one I've seen in the last 3 years +/- I have been watching the market that is better is the one that was clearly better on BAT that sold last year (only 40k~ miles and one owner). I'm sure there are others amazing examples out there, but they are hard to find for sale that have lived in non-snow/ salt states, are well under 200k, with lockers, and this clean inside. For many the Sage 40th is the iconic 80. YMMV.

I would disagree on the eyes of the beholder. Because it's not the seller that sets the market.

Collector quality means just that. A vehicle in immaculate condition with no miles that is rare.

I’m curious, why aren’t you selling this on BaT? Either way, sweet 80.
Thank you. On the BaT question, that’s what I will do if it doesn’t move rather quickly here. I understand there’s a backlog on BaT and I like this community so thought I’d try here first.

Since buying it, what other maintenance have you done on the car besides the cats?
- front crankshaft seal, front oil pump cover gasket, power steering pump (at delivery, I had a shop look for any leaks, etc. and repair)
- new tires, alignment, power seat gear repair (drivers side)
- MAF replace (OEM), plugs, wires, cap rotor
- injector rail replaced
- brakes done (reline brakes, replaced rotors)
- O2 sensors
- cats

also service/ rotations at intervals. All professionally done except for the O2 sensors which I did myself.

1638036673709.jpeg

1638036738684.jpeg

1638036795558.jpeg

1638036837013.jpeg

1638036963952.jpeg

1638037038331.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom