Builds AK HJ-75 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Thought is was time to start a thread on my HJ-75.
Bought it from a member on here in South Georgia. Drove it home, about 4200mi. This was towards the end of March. It took 9 days of driving, 11 days total. Spent two nights in Dalton, Georgia visiting old friends, and two nights in Calgary, Alberta, had the truck in a shop there to install a radiator plug in heater and check the electrical system. I think 3 times I encountered wet snow, otherwise mostly dry the whole way.

No problems from Canadian customs, just the routine questions. Crossed the border at Sweet Grass, Montana.

This is what a 20F morning start looks like with no block heater and two of the six glow plugs on strike. Took about 5 min to clear up.

Spent the night with 61MK+ in Brooks, Alberta.

The truck never had a windshield washer fluid reservoir as long as Charles had it. So that was one of the first things to get done. Unfortunately the new one did not fit because of the intercooler plumbing. So was able to fit in the old one from my 86 BJ-70 that was parted out.

Wanted some kind of bed cover to keep the snow out as much as possible and give me some extra covered storage since covered space is limited in a regular cab. Wanted to get some kind of premium vinyl pull tight cover made that I thin would have fit the style of the truck but the one place in town did not want to take that task on since they did not think they could make something I would be happy with. So, I thought about making a two piece diamond plate cover, but this would require the use of some big tools to cut and bend. Then I was perusing craigslist auto parts and came upon a F-250 long bed recessed foldable hard cover. Figured it should be pretty easy to cut to fit :)
Well, I bought it but it ended up much more work that I figured. All the aluminum edges of each panel that I had to remove was glued or double sided taped, and the two weather stripping running down the sides where also double taped. So had to spend a lot of time cleaning out the old glue after I got all the panels cut to size. I had to narrow it about a inch and shorten by about 10inches. Did not work out quite like I thought though with the panels folding up against the rack, so I will need to take the side weather stripping off again and move around a couple of panels then I think it will work how I want it. I removed the top so that I can use a bed tent, want to try camping in it this summer. This flush mount cover will also let me put the top back on when the camping season is over :) I think it looks better with the top on it.

side rails

mounts for the side rails, ended up using the short peace.

rail installed

The truck did not have a sway bar installed even though the mounts on the axle where there. Fortunately I kept the parts for the sway bar from the BJ-70. The mounts on the axle are different between the two so had to purchase these new.

It helped some but not as much as I was hoping, but some of this is probably due to the tall sidewalls of the tires and lowerish tire pressures :)

Nice truck coldtaco great shakedown test on the 4200 mile trip home. Keep the pics and update coming mate. :)

Next project is to add separate volt meter and water temp gauges since I am leary of the electrical system still and not too trusting of the factory water temp. Driving up I did see the water temp climb when egts where at or above 950F for a longer time. So want hopefully a more reliable gauge.
Gonna mount in the center pod, sharing with the rear fuel tank gauge.

not yet done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom