Aisin vs Warn hubs for 1970 FJ40 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have Warn hubs now. Is it worth switching to Aisin if it will be restored in the next two years? Are there any benefits on the older FJ40s because all I see are comments on post '75 FJ40s?

And where would I even find new ones if I wanted them?

March 1970 FJ40

Last edited:
If you have the six spline axles, the hubs have been discontinued by Warn. I am not sure if Aisin is still available. There is a real nice set on ebay if you are doing a factory correct restoration. Price has gone up since they were discontinued.

If you have the six spline axles, the hubs have been discontinued by Warn. I am not sure if Aisin is still available. There is a real nice set on ebay if you are doing a factory correct restoration. Price has gone up since they were discontinued.

Anyone know if this guy is on MUD?

Aisin/ASCO hubs were never made for the 6 spline pre-75 (in USA) front axles. Warn, Selectro, AVM and some other old 70's manufacturers were the only ones to make locking hubs for the early Land Cruisers.

Whats wrong with what you have? All Cruisers prior to the 60 Series had dealer or owner installed hubs, so the brand varied by what was available when retrofitted. Warn hubs are easy to clean up and rebuild. Just get new gaskets, if they are chrome, shine them up on the outside, clean and regrease lightly on the internals. Make sure nothing is stripped or cracked inside, they should be fine.

Aisin/ASCO hubs were never made for the 6 spline pre-75 (in USA) front axles.

Ikind of thought so because I have never seen them, All I have ever seen was what you said, except I have seen ramsey and dualmatic as well.

Only ones available new for six-spline. Brazilian made and OE on some SA LCs.

I serviced a 1975 drum brake front axle with factory ASCO hubs. They do exist. @theSherpa

I serviced a 1975 drum brake front axle with factory ASCO hubs. They do exist. @theSherpa

Seen someone post up a early pair once. Probably like the Nippon Denso heaters that a few made their way to the US. For the most part dealers offered US made parts including the Ramsey PTO winch.

I have read 76-78 factory installed long body free wheeling hub were on FJ55s. Not sure if that is true or not.

I have a set of factory hubs on my 1972 that are probably the correct ones? I can sell them once I swap the axle?

I have a set of factory hubs on my 1972 that are probably the correct ones? I can sell them once I swap the axle?

Yes please check brand. I'm not sure if they would fit a vehicle from March of 1970 because apparently a lot of stuff changed in August of 1970

Yes please check brand. I'm not sure if they would fit a vehicle from March of 1970 because apparently a lot of stuff changed in August of 1970

Front hub and driveplate didn't change until 9/75 when disc brakes started. Could not see why hubs wouldn't work thru all the outer coarse spline years.

I have read 76-78 factory installed long body free wheeling hub were on FJ55s. Not sure if that is true or not.

all the long body hubs I've ever had came from 55 series, not saying they didn't exist on a 40 series, I just haven't seen them. IIRCC the hub dials were asco not aisin
1 of my 79's I had in the past still had drive plates, but my 1980 has aisins
I have dealer installed warns on my 65, still has the sticker on the dash about how to operate them.

there should be enough used coarse warn hubs out there, that a post in the classifieds should find some easily. there are 2 styles of the warn coarse hub,
barrel style and the tapered style.

all the long body hubs I've ever had came from 55 series, not saying they didn't exist on a 40 series, I just haven't seen them. IIRCC the hub dials were asco not aisin
1 of my 79's I had in the past still had drive plates, but my 1980 has aisins
I have dealer installed warns on my 65, still has the sticker on the dash about how to operate them.

there should be enough used coarse warn hubs out there, that a post in the classifieds should find some easily. there are 2 styles of the warn coarse hub,
barrel style and the tapered style.

The barrel Warn hubs are not spring loaded and the splines have to line up to lock then. Bullet proof hubs once locked.

There's nothing wrong with the Warn 6-spine hubs and in fact there are still rebuild kits for them available from Warn; They're simple and do the job and polish up nicely.

When I purchased my May 1975 FJ40, it had a disc brake "kit" on the coarse splines and a set of Smittybilt hubs. I replaced those hubs with a set of serviced tapered Warns taken from our March 1972 (we went to fine splines and disc brakes with Aisins)

You can have the Smitty's for shipping costs.

When I purchased my May 1975 FJ40, it had a disc brake "kit" on the coarse splines and a set of Smittybilt hubs. I replaced those hubs with a set of serviced tapered Warns taken from our March 1972 (we went to fine splines and disc brakes with Aisins)

You can have the Smitty's for shipping costs.

Sure you don’t mean Selectro?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom