Aisin Carb Help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok so up front this isn't for a 40 but on a 77 Hilux. After re-building they are very similar so maybe one of the experts has an idea on where to look.

With it running and the fuel half way in the window i'm getting fuel leaking out from between the top and body. Basically around where the fuel inlet bolt/needle valve is. You can see the gasket above the window soaked in the first pic.
Second pic with the red markings are where it's wet with fuel while running. Accelerator pump looks like it has some fuel on it. It has new copper gaskets from the rebuild but it seems to be leaking from the fuel inlet bolt also.

carb 2.jpg

carb 1 - Copy.jpg

How long ago did you / someone replace that gasket? Seems like it would be worth opening the carb and checking the integrity of the gasket, and to make sure there's nothing on the two mating halves that may be causing a leak. Same with the fuel inlet bolt - are washers too thin?

You may very well have done all of that, but thought I'd throw it out there!

the gasket does not look correct directly above the sight glass.
remove the top of the carb and inspect.
don't overtighten the allen screws, which have been replaced by someone.

While it is apart, remove the gasket altogether, put the air horn back on without the screws and hold the carburetor up to a good, bright light.

Chances are the air horn is warped.

Note: if you found this information useful, you are always welcome to hit the like button.

Last edited:
Ok awesome thanks for the suggestions i'll check those out today.

Carb was just rebuilt by me so gasket is new. Yes allen bolts were replaced since the stock screws were stripped out and this is all I could get.
Fuel inlet washers are what came with the kit, maybe i'll try the ones that were on there and compare.

Ok got some pictures. Didn't pull the base off yet but checked them with a straight edge and it all looked good.
Two different gaskets came in the kit, first picture is the one that was on it before and one I used. The second has some differences

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

If it still leaks,I would clean up the sealing surfaces of the air horn and bowl with a piece of 240 grit silicon carbide paper on a glass plate wetted with water, solvent or diesel. It will also give you a better idea if they really are flat, which isn’t easy to check with a straight edge because of the large void areas. They can be twisted and appear to be flat with a straight edge.

If it still leaks,I would clean up the sealing surfaces of the air horn and bowl with a piece of 240 grit silicon carbide paper on a glass plate wetted with water, solvent or diesel. It will also give you a better idea if they really are flat, which isn’t easy to check with a straight edge because of the large void areas. They can be twisted and appear to be flat with a straight edge.

Sounds good will do. Yeah the surfaces weren't completely clean but didn't seem like anything that would cause a leak but you never know

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom