Aisan carb question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m rebuilding a ‘76 Aisan carb. During disassembly, i found that the ‘stopper, plunger passage’ was stacked into the ‘main body assembly’. I was following @Pin_Head ’s YouTube videos and noticed that his was not. Should I try to get mine out prior to dipping/cleaning??

71052155-2FF0-4A2D-97A2-C2C54E960BE6.jpeg

This is the worst part of my Aisan. Gasoline gets all over the venturi, the wall of the carb, then gets hung up on the shelf where the screws for the venturi mount. The fuel might actually make it past the throttle plate if it doesn't find its way into the EGR inlet abyss. The accelerator pump must work its best, because it barely works at all; stumble on a mildly warm 2F, high-elevation, hard throttle.

Yes. Cut the stakes with a razor blade and it should pop out. It indicates that someone has rebuilt this before.
Thx. Will do.

Someone has def rebuilt the carb. There were several indications along the way during disassembly
- missing gasket between vacuum secondary and carb
- several missing washers and lock washers
- slots on end of jets damaged with screw driver.

Yes. Cut the stakes with a razor blade and it should pop out. It indicates that someone has rebuilt this before.
Tried to free it up with a razor blade. No luck. Leave it or do I need to find a solution? I have a carb from an ‘84 if I need to build two into 1...

Thx @Dizzy

I keep working at it and it is not making any progress. Considering drilling and tapping the little aluminum plug and yanking it out. I have on in another carb I can use.

I'm guessing someone staked it to make assembly easier. Once you free it be very careful to not damage the spring, it's not in the rebuild kit. I accidentally stretched it and use a Bic ink pen spring as a replacement. Ed

Thx @Dizzy

I keep working at it and it is not making any progress. Considering drilling and tapping the little aluminum plug and yanking it out. I have on in another carb I can use.
I'd bet that most of the junk in there is either small or soluable. If the plunger works, why fix it? If you get metal flakes in the internal passage, will they rinse or blow out?

If it won't come out after removing the stakes, I would wonder what is under there holding it in.
Usually you have to worry about the plug flying out and getting lost.
The stakes are deeper than they appear in the picture. I think that since the clearance between the plug in the carb body is so small, I am pushing/deforming more material when I try to use a razor blade to release the stakes. If I reassemble it as is, is there anyway to tell if that plunger or check valve is not working properly? What would I noticed in operation. It stumbling with hard acceleration?

If you finish the rebuild and get gas in the bowl, you can watch the plunger squirt gas onto the side of the venturi, with the action of the throttle. You should have good squirt of gas. An acceleration stumble would be the symptom.

If you finish the rebuild and get gas in the bowl, you can watch the plunger squirt gas onto the side of the venturi, with the action of the throttle. You should have good squirt of gas. An acceleration stumble would be the symptom.
Thx for all the help everyone!
So that part of the accelerator pump system is basically check valve to only allow flow one direction (into the barrel). So I can just put a fluid in the piston side and manually cycle the piston and make sure I have flow out of the preface into the barrel (prior to reassembly). I’ll give that a go. If I don’t have good flow I’ll get it opened up.

@Dizzy i just put a little denatured alcohol in it and gave it a try. Sprayed like a champ! I’m going to leave it as is.

Thx for all the help MUD!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom