Aisan 3F Carburetor rebuild info (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi ya all.
Im trying to find rebuild info or a manual for the carby fitted to our 60 series cruiser. Its an 1985 Australian FJ62, 3F
I pulled it down and gave it a refurb, fresh kit through it and replaced anything that needed to be changed... i did find many issues with it and am happy with the result... however... Im having issues with the secondaries not cutting in.
I pulled the manifolds at the same time, port matched the headers and intake with the gasket, sandblasted the intake, painted the headers, fitted a new exhaust system. It runs AMAZINGLY now except for the secondaries not working.
Im trying to find info on the secondary fuel and vac ports to troubleshoot so if anyone can help with any info, that would be awesome.
Cheers.

did you replace the diaphragm in the vac secondary module? If I remember right, you have to take it off and suck through a hole/port on the module to see if it's working.

Hi and thanks for yr input... i didnt... only because it held vacuum... when i had it off, i blocked the vacuum port while it was compressed and it did not move... so I took it as good...

AWESOME!! thanks very much... I will investigate... I was looking at that half moon groove and just thought if i may have put the gasket on wrong.... but i think it can only go one way.... but thank you...

I found this place where you can purchase PDF scans of the manuals. It's in Australia, so it is mostly non-US market stuff (eg. no US emissions manuals). I found the manual for the 3F engine in the package for the 70-series Land Cruisers. each vehicle package is $10AUS (less than $10US). I also got the 60-series set but it only had the 3FE manual, even though the 3F manual was listed as being included. I paid via paypal and was able to download almost immediately.

Hi ya and thanks for the repair manual link... I will have a look.
That link from pithicus is awesome!! :clap: Aisan Secondary Circuits
Would be great if I could get hold of an Aisan manual... Also, are the 2F and 3F carby's the same/different?
I have had a look back at some pics from my carby and i can see that the insulating block is on correctly... i just gotta confirm if the gasket could go on the wrong way or not... from memory, which isnt great... it could only go on one way...
Im away atm so I cant go have a look...
Cheers.

I found this place where you can purchase PDF scans of the manuals. It's in Australia, so it is mostly non-US market stuff (eg. no US emissions manuals). I found the manual for the 3F engine in the package for the 70-series Land Cruisers. each vehicle package is $10AUS (less than $10US). I also got the 60-series set but it only had the 3FE manual, even though the 3F manual was listed as being included. I paid via paypal and was able to download almost immediately.

So you can share those PDFs now ? ;) :grinpimp:

So... can anyone tell me what these carbys are called? as in do they have a model number?
Are the 2F and 3F carbys the same?
What size are they? like CFM...
How do you identify what carby you have?
How interchangeable are they... either complete or parts?
Is there a carby guru out there?
Manuals... where the hell are these manuals hiding... :hmm:
Cheers...

Are the 2F and 3F carbys the same?
They look the same above the manifold/butterfly plate. my 3f has a larger manifold plate 14cm's compared to the mid 70's fj40 2f carb 11cm's.
The 3f has some numbers stamped just above the sight glass [3E 23], but nothing on the 2f carb.
Just looked at another 3f I think? carb and the numbers are 9J 31.

Ok cool!! thanks for that pithicus... I just looked on some pics and i did get one with the numbers... Mine has 5C 15 stamped above the sight glass... and a raised number 8 on top of the secondary face...
I guess the next question is what do they mean...
Not that is a big deal... I just want my secondaries to work... :)

carb.jpg
carb1.jpg

I just ordered a fresh secondary diaphragm and am info gathering so I can tackle it when I get home... :)
I did test it when I had it in bits but at least I'll definitely know its good if I change it out.

All 3 carbs I checked had an 8 in that spot, so prolly means nothing.
hmm, looks a bit like permatex goo was used ? Or it might be just the pic. If so that could have blocked off the half moon secondary passage.

Last edited:
That was pre rebuild... it wasnt gasket goo as the gasket popped off easy. Prob just gunk prior to a wash...

Post rebuild looks better... :)

carb2.jpg

Thanks you... yes... I can operate the secondaries by hand... as soon as the primary lock linkage lets go, the secondary open up fine... they just dont do it by themselves...

Has anyone got a 3F FSM to download? I found one but my Spanish isnt very good.... :)

Ribzo, this dropbox link is from forum member gregnash - he posted a bunch of 60 series FSM s on dropbox for download. I believe there's a pdf for the 1985 3F engine fsm in there somewhere:

TOYOTA FSM

If the link doesn't work, look for gregnash on the forum and you'll find links in his sig line.

Good luck-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom