Aisan 2F Carb Secondary Paper clip test ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

love2fly

Flying the Mountains of the NW
Threads
Just finishing up on my tune up on my 82 FJ45. I did the secondary shaft vacuum paper clip check but do not remember what is considered expectable as in shaft travel on the secondary's shaft. I have been searching the Mud site for an answer, I know I saw it but just need so guidance in locating it. if anyone knows were to find that please chime in. Thanks in advance.

DL164681.jpg
DL164682.jpg

As I remember, I've seen threads that say to put paper clip at the very top & the clip should move 12-13 mm, or about 1/2 inch.

To give it a good test, it must be floored at least 10 seconds...going up a steep incline.

EDIT: I just checked with Pin's video and yes, he said 12-13mm. If Pin said it, you can take it to the bank.

Last edited:
That was it Pin_head, :bounce: a video he made on the carb. That 12mm sounds right. Thanks I can sleep now.:beer:

I apologize to bump this old thread, but I was researching how to tell whether my secondary was opening or not, as I felt that it wasn't. This paperclip trick is ingenious! So, I put the paperclip on, and went out to the pavement, and floored it up a hill. WOT on a medium grade in 4th gear. If the paperclip moved at all it wasn't by much:

PaperClipSecondary.jpg

So, I think I should replace that secondary diaphragm, the Walker rebuild kit I used didn't have one. What is the best source for that part, I believe it to be NLA from Toyota? When I had it apart, that diaphragm held water, that was the best test I could think of for it... so maybe there are other problems? I put my vacuum gauge on the distributor port on the other side of the carburetor and verified vacuum when I revved the engine. Also on manifold vacuum I am sitting at 19 now that I replaced my leaky old break booster. Any advise is greatly appreciated!

I apologize to bump this old thread, but I was researching how to tell whether my secondary was opening or not, as I felt that it wasn't. This paperclip trick is ingenious! So, I put the paperclip on, and went out to the pavement, and floored it up a hill. WOT on a medium grade in 4th gear. If the paperclip moved at all it wasn't by much:

View attachment 2652127

So, I think I should replace that secondary diaphragm, the Walker rebuild kit I used didn't have one. What is the best source for that part, I believe it to be NLA from Toyota? When I had it apart, that diaphragm held water, that was the best test I could think of for it... so maybe there are other problems? I put my vacuum gauge on the distributor port on the other side of the carburetor and verified vacuum when I revved the engine. Also on manifold vacuum I am sitting at 19 now that I replaced my leaky old break booster. Any advise is greatly appreciated!
You need the diaphragm: 21669-61060

Seems like the Keyster kit has one in it....I may have one you can have, let me go look.

On the bowl, there appears to be a passage connecting two vac sources, on on the primary, one on the secondary. If these two vac sources appear to have different pressures in them, one could imagine how air would travel between them. I could see things getting plugged up with black junk over time. Maybe a carb dip to fix. Also, making sure that the mechanical linkage between the two throats is correct. Finally, there is an orifice at the diaphragm inlet that needs to be clean, and there is a gasket at that location as well.

I'm no expert - and I hope to keep it that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom