Aisan 1bbl Carburetor sight glass (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I was working on reproducing these. I made a graphite mold and could slump the glass. The only issue was the annealing part. The sight glasses would explode due to the tension from cooling.

I ended up finding one after a couple years of searching so the project is on the back burner. I did use a piece of 1/8" thick plate glass cut to size before I found one. That worked just fine. I cut it myself using a $10 glass cutter.

If you want a new one , go here.

I saw that earlier today. Will never happen from me. I can source a complete Sd-40 for that price.

Vultures like that should be ashamed and banned. I can understand placing a value on rare items, but that is just plain ripping someone off.

I saw that earlier today. Will never happen from me. I can source a complete Sd-40 for that price.

Vultures like that should be ashamed and banned. I can understand placing a value on rare items, but that is just plain ripping someone off.

You know, I can see your attitude to these sales. One thing I cannot agree with is understanding rare items. If you can source a whole carburetor SD40 then why not buy it and be done with the glass ? Perhaps you are looking for such a rare item and hope someone has one for a few bucks and does not see value. Please do not rip me on this but many old FJxx parts are really rare now and the junkyard days are over. I do believe the seller on ebay will regret selling so cheap. A few years from now , it may be double price.
There are always carburetors from China or Weber for a lot less.

I haven’t seen a complete SD40 for sale - which requires it to have the glass and the blue/grey plate to be considered complete - for a while, and even then it was $1000+. Wish it weren’t so, but the market is what it is, and I am a fan of markets vs. regulation.

You know, I can see your attitude to these sales. One thing I cannot agree with is understanding rare items. If you can source a whole carburetor SD40 then why not buy it and be done with the glass ? Perhaps you are looking for such a rare item and hope someone has one for a few bucks and does not see value. Please do not rip me on this but many old FJxx parts are really rare now and the junkyard days are over. I do believe the seller on ebay will regret selling so cheap. A few years from now , it may be double price.
There are always carburetors from China or Weber for a lot less.
Because I'm purchasing a third SD-40 that is missing the glass. I currently have two others that are 100% functional and complete for my 1962 FJ40. Both if these were purchased for around $400 each about 5 years ago.

Because I'm purchasing a third SD-40 that is missing the glass. I currently have two others that are 100% functional and complete for my 1962 FJ40. Both if these were purchased for around $400 each about 5 years ago.

Kind of amazing the glass is missing on the cores. Probably the back plates also. That original glass is becoming rarer. The one on ebay NOS is gone already. Someone needed it and bought it. I started movement on getting these made a few years ago and got caught up in life. I have a drawing already made and was getting quotes. The gig cost was the mold and using borosilicate glass. I believe I left off on a break even point. (Initial cost vs. how many units and unit price.) The one that sold was for 355.00. Perhaps at that price it could be done. If a much smaller price is expected, it may be costly to reproduce.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom