Airing down on pavement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Howdy all! Long time no visit. BTW, unfortunately, the FJ4X V8 motor mount brackets are no longer being fabricated by my friend Matt, so sorry about that!
Hey, I just relocated to a place where icy roads can be an issue. I was thinking about the option of airing down, as opposed to the expense & hassle of changing back & forth from studded tires.
Any wisdom supporting the practice, such as effectiveness, what speed is limited to at what lower pressure(s), and pressure recommendations? Was thinking 10-12 psi and no more than 25mph (?). Thanks everyone! Have a great Christmas!

Normal tire pressure is say 32 psi. Gets a bit snowy down to 28 seems to help a bit. I've done longer highway trips
on really crappy winter highway conditions at 26 psi. But that's keeping speed below 90 kph ( 50 mph ). Tires will get
hot and possibly could lead to belt separation - this is my own personal opinion, not based on internet fact/fiction.
If you are just trying to get around town and it's really crappy then yes airing down will help for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom