Airflow snorkel vs Safari (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
One day but not too soon :D I may fit a snorkel. Ive heard the Airflow are about $250 compared to the Safari at $400.
Anyone have experience or opinions on the Airflow?

Another site claims less restrictions/joints in the Airflow.

I posted the 60series pic because it was better than the 75 series pic
http://www.4wdworld.com.au/products/airflow/

snorkel_hj61.jpg

hi mate,

from what i have read on other forums, the general concensus would appear to be that Safari use stronger materials/plastics and that their snorkels don't stick out from the bodywork as much as airflow ones do - which is of obvious benefits in tight bush environments.

Also... from what I have read, Safari have more comprehensive fitting instructions. Useful if you're going to put it on yourself but, i would think, not overly important if you have it fitted by a professional

but other than that fact the different opinions i have seen all relate to personal preference on their asthetics.

I guess the most important thing is... a snorkel is absolutely useless if its not waterproof and from what i've read... both are waterproof.

I hope this helps.

ROTFLMAO!!
better fitting instructions with the Safari?!?
a paper template that doesn't even fit properly is "better" instructions?

sorry, Safari is a huge waste of money (this coming from a sucker that bought 2 in the last 2 months because we had no other options at this time)

i would defintately be tempted to try something else before giving any more of my hard earned money to Safari.
cheers

Wayne, how do you really feel about it???

HA ha ha.

TB

lol, I wanna get a OEM toyota one from Austrlia how do they hold up? How much woulld that cost?

I priced and OEM one. I really, really wanted the OEM snorkel with the cone hat. I found out that they are not made for the 3b. So I would need to buy an HZ or whatever air filter so the OEM snorkel would fit the air box. THe Hat is a good OEM # in the US and I bought one and fitted it to my fj40 snorkel. The res of the numbers I couldn't get but at the time my dealer wasn't all that great about getting items for me. Bottome line is I priced everything and shipping from japan and IIRC the cost was more than double what the safari one was. I looked into airflow and searched some euro sites as well but in the end for ~250 you can't beat the safari. I've installed 3 now and while it's not a perfect product I'm satisfied. If they would just make a better grates and the quality control on the templates is lacking.

where is that safari guy anyway.. Seems he only pops up if there is patent infringment. :confused:

crushers said:
ROTFLMAO!!
better fitting instructions with the Safari?!?
a paper template that doesn't even fit properly is "better" instructions?

sorry, Safari is a huge waste of money (this coming from a sucker that bought 2 in the last 2 months because we had no other options at this time)

i would defintately be tempted to try something else before giving any more of my hard earned money to Safari.
cheers

Ha! reads like you've been bottling that up for a while... glad i can be the release valve for you! PErsonally I've never had a snorkel... I was only giving feedback on what I've read from other forums. If i were to purchase an off the shelf item i would be curious to try out airflow's one. But, I'm not overly worried about looks and would be happy modifying one from a landy defender as they only cost about £25 and work bloody well!

Not bad. IMHO I have yet to see a homeade snorkel that has good clean lines if you were going to install it on a Clean rig. Now if you chopped the rear and have a few dents then it's a different story if you ask me. JMHO though.

If you want to go down the OEM route here's the #'s
17730-66010 hat
53285-90k01 duct cool air
53773-90k00 bracket
53772-90k00 Bracket
53964-90k00 Plate
52831-90k00 hose
53299-90k08 duct
177-09-61031 air filter assembly (inlet)

Wesintl...I helped install Greg B.'s OEM snorkel on his BJ74. It came with a 2-piece snorkel body (a non-desirable feature in my opinion), a cyclonic hat (a good feature), and new airbox that had the air intake facing the fender to receive the snorkel ducting. It also came with a washable paper air filter. And I think you're right that it cost about twice what my Safari cost, simply because you pay for both the snorkel and the new airbox.

I recently put my snorkel through a bit of a test in a really tight trail. I managed to knock off the air ram by misjudging the height of a fallen over tree that I went under on the trail. The cheezy plastic grate broke into several pieces, the air ram was bent where the tree hit it, and the plastic anchors that secured the windshield bracket were pulled out. I was able to alvage the air ram and find new plastic anchors from Lordco. The snorkel also took a few good whacks from several good sized tree branches, but there was no further damage. Overall, my moment of stupidity cost me a mere $5 for new anchors and a new clamp. :D

Oh yeah, if you do decide to go with Safari...don't throw any "packaging" out (or burn it in the wood stove :D) until you have the cheezy template safely in your possesion. Don't ask me how I know. :D

I think Henry C or someone else made a grate out of expanded metal with tabs on the side to basically replace the safari grate. I've seen a bird hit a safari and it didn't break the grate. The poor bird didn't make it and there were guts and feathers in the air filter. :)

Thanks for the replies. I may just spend up on a OEM snorkel:cool:

I think the steel snorkels with the pre cleaner on top are most effective ,on the 1988 backhj75s. Sure as hell don't win any points for good looks though. Dam ugly as my dog.

I thought this home made job was a good effort. Getting the bends right and adding the scoop makes all the difference
1HZ PICS 057 (Small).jpg

HEY, you've got no bonnet there Mr.!!!!!

:doh:

HZJ60 Guy said:
HEY, you've got no bonnet there Mr.!!!!!

:doh:
Ok ,so the bonnet dont close.:eek:
Its not mine ,so dont blame me,I didnt design it ,so there:D:D

If im not mistaken, airflows are made of fiberglass material, have seen them installed on zuks and hi-lux old model, on the hi-lux they really look funny, it looks like a kid designed it! and the one for the zuk, it has no bracket on the pillar.

On the 75 the AirFlow looks almost like a Safari:

e5_1_b.JPG

A Chev donk in that Bundy, Ross?

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom