AirBag Suspension Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have looked in these thread about air suspensions and their is nothing definitive on here. I am interested in putting an Airbag Suspension( no coils) on my lx450. I am looking for a smooth ride and occasionally going offroad. I am just looking for part numbers for the airbags and where i can get mounting hardware for them? I hope someone here can enlighten me with there knowledge.:)

AirBag Suspension

Thanks for info. I send them an email this morning. I swear i saw a landcrusier/lx450 recently that had them installed. I think it was a new owner showing his or her purchase. I really hope i don't have to " Reinvent the wheel" on this project. I hope to hear more info. that anyone has to offer.

my 80 has firestones on all four corners with in cab controls, it was done at a shop for the previous owner, there looks to be a fair bit of welding done to get it installed. I believe they found it necessary for the weight of the cummins and big bumper. Overall it does work OK but it does complicate things a bit...

i know it is costly, but the airock system built for the new jeeps could be modded to work with our rigs. it is a pretty sweet system. i would have to assume that it wont have a problem with the weight of our rigs, being as it worked great in the earthroamer xp-jp.

Can you post so pictures of your set up Cody C please? I am really curious to see the mounts and bags they used in your set up. With your pictures it will give me and other members an idea on what required to run airbags all the way around(no coil springs).

Last edited:
Can you post so pictures of your set up Cody C please? I am really curious to see the mounts and bags they used in your set up. With your pictures it will give me and other members an idea on what required to run airbags all the way around(no coil springs).

here is what i have on the computer at the moment, I can post more later but the wife has the cruiser today so it will be a bit but i will post some more pictures.

This system uses an electric valve between the left and right air bag in the front, and the left and right in the rear. When the switch is thrown to run the air compressor and fill the tank, the valves are opened to connect the sides. However there are 2 switches and a double needle gauge which controls front or rear bags and displays pressure.

You can also see the in cab controls for the air adjustable shocks, which leak more than i would like at the shock themselves. I will probably be removing this sometime soon, and reinstalling the adjustment dials.
IMG_6926.jpg
IMG_6932.jpg
IMG_6929.jpg

It is looking very promising you all. I think it can be done as a bolt on deal. I am still doing some research thou. Maybe a couple more pictures and a few more inputs from varies members, this might be able to be done. I will definitely make this system a manual fillup type. I think it will be easier to make and do field repairs. I will keep you all updated.

It is looking very promising you all. I think it can be done as a bolt on deal. I am still doing some research thou. Maybe a couple more pictures and a few more inputs from varies members, this might be able to be done. I will definitely make this system a manual fillup type. I think it will be easier to make and do field repairs. I will keep you all updated.

I was in the shop yesterday having a look through the cruiser as it is still fairly new to us. I noticed it has been sittin pretty low in the mornings in the back (small air leak) this is pretty easy to adress as it has a compressor and in dash controls.
I was going to try and find the source of the problem which i thought to be the plastic air lines. turns out it is pinholes in both the rear bags. So i will eventually order new bags and replace the leaky ones. However I can see a big advantage to not having to get the vehicle to a gas station to refill the bags every morning in my predicament.

In other words get on board air! you can also leave an air fitting for tools or filling tires. And this is just plain cool.

Also, the rear bags fill up really really slowly right now. I believe it is because of the cold weather lately (-17 celsius or -29 with wind chill today) and there is likely ice buildup in the air lines. I think I would benefit from having a water seperator in line with the air compressor to avoid this. I may install one later and will likely go to stainless lines and a smaller stainless tank near a frame rail so i can use the area under the cruiser for a spare instead of a 3 gallon air tank.

In other words consider a water seperator they dont cost much, and plan it out right the first time like the PO should have done... $180 worth of prevention is worth $1000 of fixing sh!t.

Thanks Cody C for pictures. It looks like you have about a total of 6 inches of mounts. 3inches on top and bottom more or less. I guess you need that to clear those 39.5 IROK's. I look on the firestone site those bags can be either #2107 or #5405.( I think) The other part numbers are 1T14C1 or 1T14C3. Since i am still rolling 275 for now, i will try 1 inch mounts more or less first. I may need to purchase one of them and do test fits. When i do some work on the truck this weekend i will take a closer look. I will defintely do the rears first. In all, it doesnt seem to look to wild. But that can all change when the welder is in my hands.:clap:

I am slowly looking into air bags as well. I currently have 35s with no lift on a 96 W/lockers

My vision is to have bags that will allow stock height to +4" ride height, Make caster adjustment for +2" or +3" to accommodate normal daily driving, be able to vent all air for loading or garage, and also raise to +6 for water etc.

I plan on extending shock mounts to increase shock travel. possibly adding an inch or 2 to bump stops.

I would like to use 2way valves at each corner and additional valves to selectively cross link front by front(242) and rear to rear.

possibly using this guage setup and maybe a switch panel from 12voltguy.
http://airbagit.com/product_info.php?cPath=54_58&products_id=1462

Have anyone knows if these can be modified to be on all four corners using stock springs?

Firestone Air Bags Toyota Land Cruiser

It looks possible. Sumotoy has Air Lift bags on all four corners. A search may bring this up from way back.

Cody,

Do you feel like needing more shocks with your air bag setup? I mean, do you wish you had a stiffer valved shock so that the body doesn't lean as much? I didn't think that the Ranchos would provide enough compression damping with the air bags.

Thanks.

i dont think the rancho's are the best shock, this cruiser does have the air adjustable shocks from cab setup so i do play with it alot on backroad washboard and highway driving. However it does (most of the time) sit about 4 inches over stock and has had the rear anti-sway removed so this does play part to the body roll factor.

However it does have a cummins in the front (+350ish lbs) as well as dual batteries (+50ish lbs) and a heavy bumper with an 8274 warn ( +150ish lbs). so comparing this to a stockish lexus might not be comparing "apples to apples". So it is likely the way the shocks work on my cruiser could work for someone else. But in my circumstances this thing probally would benefit from trying a few other models of shocks.

I did drive a lifted hdj80 the other week and it was a very different feel, alot firmer with ome lift and shocks, but a more solid feeling.

The airbags are firestone (5405) airide bags front and back, i just swapped out the rears for ones that dont leak and its alot nicer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom