Airbag recall came with "free" vehicle inspection, and now needs the following... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Spent 3.5+ hours at the Lexus dealership for the airbag recall; was told it 1-2 hours. Meh. 2009 LX with 106k miles. No complimentary refuel fyi. Dealership did do a complimentary inspection, and they found the following:
-Brake fluid very dirty
-Power Steering rack leaking
-Valve cover gaskets leaking
-Transfer case seeping
-Left rear shock leaking
-front pads 1mm
-rear pads 4.5mm

I left quickly before getting an estimate due to work/family stuff. I don't really trust the dealership. How is it possible this truck needs so much maintenance? Is this normal? Is there any way I can verify if the above items really need attention? If so, in terms of cost what am I looking at here?

Thousands and thousands, and then more thousands of dollars if you let the dealer have their way.

These trucks need maintenance. If none of this stuff was taken care of on a regular basis for the last 106K miles, then no, I do not think it is unusual for a dealer inspection to highlight these things.

HTH

Do you keep up on Maintenance? I tend to do Brake pads every 25 - 30K miles when they get down around 4-5. 1.5 is really bad, but you can do this your self. If the pads go down to the wear indicators you could ruin your rotors. That is if there is enough material to reuse. I upgraded my rotors to DBA slotted for better performance. Could be a good upgrade

You can also flush the brake fluid yourself

You can replace shocks your self or most any shop you trust. Good time to upgrade to OME or other if you are thinking about a lift

I would try and get a better view of the Tcase and valve cover gaskets seeping/leaking. If they are, something I would take care of right away

The Power Steering rack has been a problem on the 100's, havent heard as much on 200's but then they are not as old. You can tell if this is really happening by looking at where the steering rack meets your steering components to the wheel, typically known as tie rods. If leaking I would address quickly

These trucks will last a long time, but when you buy a new truck you need to baseline everything and stay on top of maintenance. For example, I would flush the Tranny and radiator also at about 100 to 120K.

You should also look at your CV axles reguraley to see if they are leaking. You can address those typically early with an easy cheap fix or have to replace them if you dont

I believe that recall and CPO maintenance is an opportunity for Lexus to do one of these "complimentary" inspections and find stuff that you are on the hook for. I would bet that many owners just figure "well you say it needs it, so sure go ahead, whatever you say"

I had an IS20C that was purchased as CPO and included oil changes. Last fall I decided to let them do the oil change, since it was free and I wanted it in the vehicle maintenance log, as I knew I was going to be getting rid of the car when it came off CPO this Spring. The tech reported that the car needed new wiper blades ($90), the rear diff oil changed ($75), and both front wheels were "badly bent" and need to be replaced ($1500). The car was also due for the 60K service ($950 of stuff), which they said they would cover, no charge. I declined all the other work and took the car home. I looked the front wheels over as closely as I could, even put a dial indicator on them, the runout and wobble was hardly measurable. I had that car up to 90 mph and it was rock solid.

This Spring, the car had a recall for the pass side airbag. When I got the car out of winter storage, I changed the wipers and did the rear diff (fluid that came out was perfectly clear, looked fine, and it was obvious to me that the fill plug had never been removed), then they came and got it, left me a loaner RX. When I went to get the car, they reported the same thing with the "badly bent front wheels", so this time I demanded they show me where they were bent. They put the car up on a lift and the tech showed me how the inside bead of both wheels was bent in, but it was barely noticeable. Like, I really had to strain to see it. I looked at him and said "if this was your car, would you replace those wheels?" He responded "my job is to report my findings, not tell you what you should do". I told him to put the car back down on the ground, I was leaving. I told the service writer I was done with this dealership, even if it is the only one in NH.

Sold the car to a friend in MD in May, his wife loves it. Disclosed the "bent wheels" and all. That will probably be my last Lexus.

Well you can just look at your front brake pads and see if they are only 1mm .. and put on some pads.

The majority maybe just some bolts the need a re-torque.

Is there any way I can verify if the above items really need attention?

Find an independent mechanic that you trust. It sounds as though that Lexus dealer’s service writer is trying to upsell you. Also, Lexus dealer maintenance rates will destroy your wallet.

As for brakes pads, they do wear out. It is also a good idea to flush the brake fluid every once in a while.

Find an independent mechanic that you trust. It sounds as though that Lexus dealer’s service writer is trying to upsell you. Also, Lexus dealer maintenance rates will destroy your wallet.

As for brakes pads, they do wear out. It is also a good idea to flush the brake fluid every once in a while.

I'll ask around for an indy for an opinion. For those in the Seattle area, can anyone recommend a good trustworthy indy?

Well you can just look at your front brake pads and see if they are only 1mm .. and put on some pads.

The majority maybe just some bolts the need a re-torque.

Good idea. I don't have a caliper device to measure pad thickness, though I did see on youtube a "straw" method. I'll have to find a straw...

Last edited:
Set your scam alert on the highest setting when going to that dealer. The only normal maintenance items on that list are the brake pads and fluid. Everything else would be an unusual repair item for only 106K miles. Get a second opinion on those for sure.

@Docboy this mostly seems normal with exception of the rack. My shocks started leaking at 100k.

I still recommend Greg’s in Renton. They’ve replaced my shocks, alternator (twice) radiator, and did my diffs, t-case, and trans fluid.

@Docboy this mostly seems normal with exception of the rack. My shocks started leaking at 100k.

I still recommend Greg’s in Renton. They’ve replaced my shocks, alternator (twice) radiator, and did my diffs, t-case, and trans fluid.

@tbisaacs Thanks. I'll give Greg's and the dealership (Lexus of Bellevue who did my airbag recall and inspection) tomorrow and report back with quotes.

The valve cover leak could be a simple fix or the dreaded cam tower leak.

I have 225k miles on my 2009 cruiser and that list may be legit. Its a bit rough for 109k. Personally I think cruiser owners who have cash should do a complete suspension overhaul 100-110k miles. I recommend racing coilovers as it makes the ride feel new until they break. No one believes my LC has soo many miles when looking from outside or driving it. I tell people it's not even half life yet. My wild guess is that the land cruiser will be able to go 600-800k miles before a new engine or transmission will be needed. I had some trouble with brakes when vehicle goes out of alignment or KO2 tires get worn down significantly.

I went in for same service yesterday. My car had all checks everywhere. I didn't even care for the inspection wasted 2 hours doing the whole recall / inspection. My KO2 DT tires were at 15/16 all around after driving 1 year ~25k miles.

Good chart on brake pads. Why I choose to change at about 4mm

1568566982120.png

@tbisaacs Thanks. I'll give Greg's and the dealership (Lexus of Bellevue who did my airbag recall and inspection) tomorrow and report back with quotes.

I wouldn’t do that. You seem to be assuming that the dealer is correct and that all that work needs to be performed. Instead, I would make an appointment at the independent mechanic, tell him what the Lexus dealer told you, and ask him what he thinks should be done. He may well tell you that half the work the Lexus dealer claimed was needed can be skipped for now.

Which Seattle area Lexus dealer was it? I went by the one in Shoreline for some parts. They acted like they’d never seen a 570 before. It was not heartening.

Which Seattle area Lexus dealer was it? I went by the one in Shoreline for some parts. They acted like they’d never seen a 570 before. It was not heartening.

Lexus of Bellevue

Brake pads are easy to replace, and any shop can do it.

You can do it yourself too, you just need a way to compress the pistons back into the calipers. You can rent/buy the proper tool or use a c-clamp, vice grips, large pliers, etc. Flush the fluid at the same time.

From my understanding lx shocks seep fluid, as long as there isn't visible drips on the garage floor they are fine. If there is a major leak, rear shocks are cheap and easy to replace. These are not regular shock absorbers, look up how the ACH works.

If the shock is leaking or not, it's probably time to swap out the AHC fluid. You can do this too, with basic tools.

See if the valve cover is leaking onto the steering rack. If it is, replace the valve cover gasket. Clean up the rack and wait to see if it's leaking or not.

A seeping tcase doesn't mean much. Is there oil on the floor? If not, check oil level and top up if necessary.

When I took mine in for the recall, they did an inspection (without my permission) and wanted to charge me for the following:
Cabin air filter $90
Engine covers(I removed) $700
Front lower covers(I removed) $1300

I respectfully declined.
I bought a $20 cabin filter and changed it in 5min...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom