Airbag question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Got an airbag question for you guys. I have a 97' LX450. I was wondering if anyone here knows how the airbags are triggered. I just watched a video in another group I am in regarding the Prado / Lexus GX series. He was off roading and changed pitch quickly. Actually going from very tilted to back to flat. His airbags all popped off. He has a heavily modified rig and didnt have his CDL switch on. Apparently in those a quick change of pitch will cause the airbags to go off. When the CDL is activated is disables this so the airbags dont pop while offroading. I was wondering if anyone on here knows if the 80 series are setup similar to this or if they just use a simple crush sensor at the front bumper and full rollover sensor? I ask this because I am pretty modified and only use the CDL when I need it. I dont have it on all the time when off roading, just to keep the binding to a min when making hard turns. If its acts like the GX/Prado then I will make note to use the CDL whenever I am off road. I have the pin 7 mod done so I can be in 4 low without CDL.

The airbags are set off by an inertia sensor located under the center console (under your PWR/2ND switch). There are no impact sensors in the front or rear bumpers.

I do not know if it is disabled when the CDL is on or not. That would be possibly be answered by one or more of the following individuals:
@cruiserdan
@beno
@Tools R Us
@inkpot
@jonheld

Also, most airbag deployment is disabled if under 5 MPH. However, I do not have a confirmation of that here.

The airbags are set off by an inertia sensor located under the center console (under your PWR/2ND switch). There are no impact sensors in the front or rear bumpers.

Correct. It's my understanding the air bag system is active full time, nothing turns it off. The sensor is set for a severe frontal impact, can attest that angles, bouncing, off road driving is not going to set it off, including a couple that have ended on their roof. If you were to hit something off road, hard enough to set it off, would likely be happy to have it, the same as any other severe accident.

Got an airbag question for you guys. I have a 97' LX450. I was wondering if anyone here knows how the airbags are triggered. I just watched a video in another group I am in regarding the Prado / Lexus GX series. He was off roading and changed pitch quickly. Actually going from very tilted to back to flat. His airbags all popped off. He has a heavily modified rig and didnt have his CDL switch on. Apparently in those a quick change of pitch will cause the airbags to go off. When the CDL is activated is disables this so the airbags dont pop while offroading. I was wondering if anyone on here knows if the 80 series are setup similar to this or if they just use a simple crush sensor at the front bumper and full rollover sensor? I ask this because I am pretty modified and only use the CDL when I need it. I dont have it on all the time when off roading, just to keep the binding to a min when making hard turns. If its acts like the GX/Prado then I will make note to use the CDL whenever I am off road. I have the pin 7 mod done so I can be in 4 low without CDL.

My guess, there was a failure in the system. Don't have much trail experience with the GX, but have beat FJ Cruisers pretty good, same basic platform. Had them at extreme angles, bent aftermarket bumpers, front control arms, spindles, etc, one went off an embankment/cliff and ended up totaled, never set off a bag.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom