airbag light (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The front seat belts have pretensioners, which are considered part of the "supplemental restraint system".

The pretensioner consists of a small explosive charge built into each front seatbelt assembly. The explosive charge is designed to go off a split second before the airbags inflate; the explosion takes up any slack in the seatbelt and pulls the occupant back into the seat and away from the airbag.

As part of the SRS system, the seatbelt pretensioners are controlled by the airbag computer module, and are triggered electronically.

So the seatbelt itself is electronically controlled, and it does more than lock the belt when it sees high rates of acceleration or angles.

The seatbelt pretensioner is what is causing my airbag light to come on, not the seat occupancy sensor.

Anybody ever fixed or replaced a seatbelt pretensioner?

Hopefully, I'll be able to replace mine this weekend, and report back with the results.

Thanks

Last edited:
I've not replaced one, however I did have the entire interior out of my 04 for a deep clean, including the removal of the b-pillar panels. The pre-tensioner appears to be a part of the spring retractor mechanism. I would assume that it comes out as a single unit. Once you get that lower panel off it's all right there. I'd pull the seat to make for easy access, although you may be able to power it all the way forward and have enough room.

Two things that I'd be curious about: Does the tensioner bolt onto the retractor or do both come as a single unit? If the later, how does one re-wind the belt onto the replacement device.

Obviously, do disconnect the battery before starting.

The pretensioner, the retractor, and the seatbelt itself are all a single unit.

The belt comes pre-wound around the retractor, which has the pretensioner built-in. It's all one unit with a yellow 2-pin connector that plugs into the airbag/SRS module. If the resistance through that circuit is out of spec (should be between 1 and 5 ohms), then the airbag light blinks whenever the truck is on. I think the detonator for the pretensioner goes bad after about 15 years, and the resistance across the circuit decreases as a result of the bad detonator.

I got the light to go off by unplugging the seatbelt assembly and plugging a 2.5 ohm resistor into the connector instead, and then clearing the code. However, in the event of an accident, the passenger side seatbelt pretensioner would not function in the current configuration.

I'm still on the fence about whether it is worth $190 for the part + the hassle to replace the whole assembly, or if I should just use the resistor to trick the SRS module into thinking that the pretensioner is within spec.

Now that I got the airbag light to turn off, I'm starting to think I would rather keep my $190.

Last edited:
I have the airbag light after taking the interior out and cleaning it. I never had the light until then. I tried doing the battery positive removal to reset but no cigar. anyone shed any light for me?

Guys,

My airbag light is blinking like the above issues. Did anyone of you isolate the problem and confirm if the problem is the seatbelt pretensioner?

Last edited:
You can search for a similar problem i had with a 2006 lc. Stealership wanted $1,600 for new curtain shield airbag and i got it fixed for nearly zero and some sweat.

i called a company in Jacksonville, AR called 5 star airbag and tech walked me thru it. I sent him text pictures of each yellow connector beginning at the ignitor and eventually, he narrowed down which one wasn’t functioning. I Used a pic to gently bend the wire in the plug to better interact with its counterpart in the other side of the plug.

Afterwards, the light went off automatically when i started the car.

fyi - there was a recall on airbag control modules for certain 100 series land cruisers.

Okay folks I just did the procedure below with a jumper - It gave me code 74 (blink 7 times - pause - blink 4 times). Now i try to look this up but I dont understand what the FSM is saying to further troubleshoot - Can someone please help me on what I need to do next?

I do have a multimeter so I can do the an ohm check on step 4 if that's what I need to do. But where do I find the P/T Squp LH? is that the connector under the seat? BTW I assume LH means drivers seat?

1586369564348.png

1586369636473.png

The 3rd step is to look at the Airbag Sensor assembly with is very similar to step 4 below - Which at the movement I'll assume is okay. So now I think I have to check step 4 below

1586369667061.png

How did I get the code - (For others who need to troubleshoot at a later time)

Pop the hood, look for the square diagnostic connector. It's about 1"x3", and has a little flip-open lid. When you open it, there will be a map on the underside of the lid showing you the layout of the terminals. Locate terminals E1 and Tc, get a paper clip or a little piece of wire and jump them. Now, go back in the car and turn the ignition to the 'on' position. You'll get a bunch of flashing lights on the dashboard, but your SRS light should be blinking out a two-code pattern (blink blink <pause> blink blink blink would be code 23, for example). Make a note of this code and report back here, we'll see what you have and get you pointed in the right direction.

Last edited:
this is the left, drivers side. It's the whole seatbelt assembly.

IMG_20200327_093821.jpg

MVIMG_20200409_041620.jpg

So, my problem just started today. Found this thread, did the paper clip trick with the E1 TC terminals in the diagnostic port. Watched the lights blink and I got 64. Looked it up, looks to be the passenger side Seatbelt Pretensioner. Whats next? Any advice on other tests or connector wiggling I should do before I pull the trigger on buying the seatbelt assembly? Also, if I do have to replace it, wheres a good place to get the seatbelt assembly?

So after a lot of searching I have left the issue alone and not fixed it. I still get the airbag light flashing. I should be changing it but this part is around $220-260 bucks.

Its the whole seat belt assembly part number - Also called "Belt Retractor assembly"

Left Hand Side - 73220-60322-B0
Right has side - 73210-60451-B0

I could not cross reference with other Toyota parts on this. Although I am pretty sure a Toyota Tundra/Tacoma/T100 belt assembly would work in this case. But I am not sure if anyone would want to take a risk on safety matters. So better to do with original part number given above.

So after a lot of searching I have left the issue alone and not fixed it. I still get the airbag light flashing. I should be changing it but this part is around $220-260 bucks.

Its the whole seat belt assembly part number - Also called "Belt Retractor assembly"

Left Hand Side - 73220-60322-B0
Right has side - 73210-60451-B0

I could not cross reference with other Toyota parts on this. Although I am pretty sure a Toyota Tundra/Tacoma/T100 belt assembly would work in this case. But I am not sure if anyone would want to take a risk on safety matters. So better to do with original part number given above.

Thanks for the info. I actually found a place to send in the seatbelt assembly and repair for $65. I’m about to disassemble and mail it to them (they respond by text and want me to mail it in so they can determine if they can fix it before I pay) so far, the customer service is good. Will keep you guys posted if this works and will leave all the details.

Thanks for the info. I actually found a place to send in the seatbelt assembly and repair for $65. I’m about to disassemble and mail it to them (they respond by text and want me to mail it in so they can determine if they can fix it before I pay) so far, the customer service is good. Will keep you guys posted if this works and will leave all the details.

LOL they probably just fixing the resistance of the thing. You can do it yourself.

It would be good to know where is the resistor in this belt circuit so we can do our own fix.

Can anybody provide more specific guidance on how to address the BLINKING airbag / SRS dash light on my 1998 LC?

I had not driven the LC for a few days. When I started it yesterday, the airbag light just started blinking for no apparent reason.

It blinks slowly whenever the car is on.

I will check for loose connections around the seats (seat occupancy sensor? seat position sensor?), but I am not really sure specifically where to look.

Anybody else had this happen?
Any advice on other areas to check?

What does the blinking light mean as opposed to the constant on?
(I do not have a manual handy to look this up.)

Any guidance or advice on how to get rid of the blinking airbag /SRS light on my dashboard will be appreciated. :cheers:
@marshotel, did changing out the entire seatbelt assembly fix your issue? Seems that on my 2006 LX is doing the same thing, a slowly blinking airbag light. I know this was years ago, but hoping to hear if that actually fixed your issue? Thanks, Jeff

You need to troubleshoot the codes, which you can do by jumping plugs on the data port, if you don't have techstream. The process is laid out in the maintenance manuals, and you can also find it searching the site.

In my case, the code traced to the passenger seat belt. I changed it out for one from a part out, and the light has not come back on.

You need to troubleshoot the codes, which you can do by jumping plugs on the data port, if you don't have techstream. The process is laid out in the maintenance manuals, and you can also find it searching the site.

In my case, the code traced to the passenger seat belt. I changed it out for one from a part out, and the light has not come back on.
Agreed you first need to understand which belt is causing this issues. Cause without this you have a 50-50 chance of changing the wrong belt. Since these aren't interchangeable its a gamble.

And it might not be a belt at all.

I have experienced the air bag light blinking issue on two separate occasions in our 2000 LCs/LXs. What I did to narrow it down being a bad charge in the pre-tensioner was to figure which side the issue was on using the FSM diagnosis process which ended up in a diagnostic code B0131/64 Open in P/T Squib(RH) Circuit. I would then take a belt pre-tensioner unit from one of our other vehicles, without the issue, and then plug it into the vehicle with the blinking issue. If the blinking stopped, the belt charge was likely bad. In both cases I sent the unit off to an outfit called Safety Restore in Westfield, MA and they put a new charge in it for about $54. In both cases the problem was solved by doing this. At the time this outfit had a better price on their ebay listing than on their web site. Their turn around time was pretty darn quick. They also offer several other services for seatbelts that may be of interest if the spring recoil is weak or the belts are tattered. Best of Luck

Sent out for service the driver side seat belt pretensioner after getting the associated code running jumpers to the diagnostics plug inside the engine bay. Installed the part and still have the airbag light on. Tried the reset by grounding tc and ab...will fast flash but airbag light still remains after. Tried unplugging battery and no dice. Getting code 64 and 74. No way both pretensioners are bad especially after having drivers side sent for service. Any advice?

Most of the airbag malfunctions stem from plugs. The conductive pointy tabs (best description i can come up with) that are visible when the plug is unplugged, loose their perfect shape and thus loose perfect continuous connection.

Call an airbag repair company and speak to someone who has real wisdom on the subject if the problem persists.

So my airbag light started blinking. Took it to my laxus guy who scanned and said bad steering wheel bag. Bought a used one since they dont make new and still blinks. Took it back he scanned everything from the dash , doors etc. And couldnt find the source and didnt want to keep chaging me. Does this code trick w the clip accomplish something his airbag scanner wont?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom