Airbag advice for towing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just picked up my "new to me" Turtleback today. Super happy about everything, except the front sagging a bit. Looks like the trailer is 3/4” taller already (sits on 35's), then when Im hitched I sag another 1” on flat ground. So yeah, 1.75” droop no bueno. And that's with no water in the trailer and on-road. For reference my 200 is a 2008 with a Tough Dog 2" lift, Red tapered Tough Dog (Tourflex) Springs in rear, drawers and F/R bumpers. Oh and a new Bush Company hardshell tent and 270 awning. So, pretty heavy. When not towing its sits nice, maybe 1/2" lower in front which I'm good with. So Im leaning toward Airbag route vs heavier springs. This is really only an issue when towing for me.

I have a buddy who can install them for me in a couple weeks, so I need to find and get this ordered quick, Airbagman was the name I heard a few times. I also saw they make a protective sleeve which appealed to me. Quick google search I found this Firestone option at ExitOffroad:

is this what I want? says it's good up to 2.5" lift. I thought i heard somewhere these are the same as the Airbagman but re-badged as Firestone. Didnt see the protective sleeves anywhere.

Anyways, any advice would be apprecaiated. I'd need these in the next couple weeks, so I don't have time to do my regular deep dive research on the subject. Just looking for the Cliff Note version and a link of who has what I need in stock.

IMG_9982 Large.jpeg
IMG_9974 Large.jpeg
2023-01-13 12.43.10.jpg

Airbags will do the trick. They'll give you more height and spring rate when you need it for towing. I'm installing a set on my friends Ford Raptor next week as he's dealing with the same thing towing an XOC, and dragging on obstacles even with 37 tires. When not towing, they can be deflated to give back all the goodness of the Baja suspension tuning.

Yes, Firestone 4164s are what you want. It's pretty much as large as airbags get at 11" tall and 5.5" diameter.

The instructions calls to cut most of the jounce stop. I only cut 2 sections and IMO it works better that way to give the bag more lifting ability. You won't need the sleeves IMO. Bags work best without a ton of pressure and the coils on a standard LC are pretty tight together. The sleeves are for higher inflation pressures which aren't necessary for something like this.

Airbags will do the trick. They'll give you more height and spring rate when you need it for towing. I'm installing a set on my friends Ford Raptor next week as he's dealing with the same thing towing an XOC, and dragging on obstacles even with 37 tires. When not towing, they can be deflated to give back all the goodness of the Baja suspension tuning.

Yes, Firestone 4164s are what you want. It's pretty much as large as airbags get at 11" tall and 5.5" diameter.

The instructions calls to cut most of the jounce stop. I only cut 2 sections and IMO it works better that way to give the bag more lifting ability. You won't need the sleeves IMO. Bags work best without a ton of pressure and the coils on a standard LC are pretty tight together. The sleeves are for higher inflation pressures which aren't necessary for something like this.
That’s the Cliff Note version I was looking for. Thx man! I’ll call ExitOffroad tomorrow to confirm they have in stock. Thx for the advice

Didn’t even think to check Amazon but is this the correct part?

Firestone W237604164 Coil-Rite Kit https://a.co/d/0flWruk

2nd question, what kind of fittings and other things would I need to tie this into my ARB twin compressor. I have a line ran to my rear bumper already? Or do you just inflate airbags by hand usually? Sorry, newb question here, this is my 1st time

Didn’t even think to check Amazon but is this the correct part?

Firestone W237604164 Coil-Rite Kit https://a.co/d/0flWruk

2nd question, what kind of fittings and other things would I need to tie this into my ARB twin compressor. I have a line ran to my rear bumper already? Or do you just inflate airbags by hand usually? Sorry, newb question here, this is my 1st time

Yessir.

As for tying into the compressor, I have yet to do that. They don't take much air and I only inflate to about 18PSI for 1200lbs tongue weight. Though you'll probably find a different sweet spot for your setup.

Maybe someone else can chime in with how to integrate. I've been noodling on that idea.

Having just done this install, you can tackle it yourself in probably 2-3 hours max. Place rear frame on tall jackstands, unbolt lower rear shocks and pull off from the mount, drop axle and coils should almost fall out. Slide airbags in coils, reinstall, reconnect lower shocks/bolts and then just route the air lines. There is a great spot under the rear tailgate cover (tab right in the center that already has 2 holes in it) to mount the valves. Hidden yet easy access too. For the price, I would consider the airbags a wear item and will probably just replace at the same interval as rebuilding my King shocks. The part # you listed looks like the same as the one I ordered.

Just added these bags to level up while towing my m1101. Definitely noticed the difference. Bags call for 5lbs of pressure even with no load. Air point is under rear tailgate flap.

20230124_110005.jpg

20230124_105840.jpg

Nice! My 1101 is my favorite trailer.
Yeah I love it. Turned it into my overlanding trailer but 8 bolts removed, rack off and it's my pickup truck. Lol

Sweet I think I have it all sorted and ordered from Amazon. I'm gonna scrap the whole air compressor idea, the KISS approach with the manual tailgate caps will work just fine for me. Here is everything I ordered, let me know if I missed anything:

Amazon product ASIN B003HJ3JOAAmazon product ASIN B08BVVJCFQhttps://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0168X4QBQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A couple more little questions:

1) I see the Firestone kit comes with 18' of airline. Cut in half, are those two 9' sections long enough for the routing to the tailgate? If not, I could order some additional air line but the kit doesn't say what size line they use. Non-issue if the 9' sections is fine as-is. I did buy an air line cutter tool figured that's just good to have anyways.

2) Hole saw to drill the bump stops for the air line. What size did you all use? Project 200 says 35mm (1.38") which isn't a size I have. Closest I have is 2" that I used to drill a hole in my bumper to relocate my 7-way. Safe to assume 2" is too big for this job?

I have the identical setup for the air fill point as TECKis300, which works great. Also got a little battery powered air compressor in addition to the bigger one i have to inflate and delfate tires. In my case a Ryobi with 18v batteries i have already for other tools.

Otherwise I opted for the Airbag Man HP version and bought it in Australia shipped to me a in a couple of weeks. It gets you to firestone bags with kevlar protective sleeves. I do not know what incremental reliability you get by doing so. However to level my LC200 with 22ft 7500 lbs travel trailer I use 30 to 35 psi, which would be the top end of firestone bags only if i recall correct. With the Kevlar sleeves it is claimed to go upto like 60 or 70psi. In any case, my thinking since i did a self install, get the best parts and the rest DIY to save $$$.

Additional info and todays pricing... Note the claimed max pressure.

They also have a "raised" version. You would have to study this to figure out fit and or call them.

1674852985527.png

Last edited:
I like the M1101 as well. Guess I need to add bags to mine now too?!

Quick share of a trip we did in 2021 to Colorado and Utah in a rented Black Series HQ19 (very nice, a bit heavy and sluggish to tow) and our 2022 purchased Keystone Passport 221BH (I know, run of the mill yet good value for money and with slide out some more space as well as bunk beds to allow grand kids to sleep with us). In both cases the airbags worked great and no WDH. Saw no need for sway control. Distance hitch to rear wheel is short and the Cruiser level with airbags has been steady as a rock. Makes hitching up and manouvering at fuel stations, driving through transitions at the same and turning/parking at the camp grounds real easy.

1674853544882.png

1674853755470.png

1674853835474.png

1674853886719.png

And our Passport SL 221BH. Yeah, not as nice but also half the price and with some DIY tender care and love working out ok so far.

1674853987237.png

Last edited:
Sweet I think I have it all sorted and ordered from Amazon. I'm gonna scrap the whole air compressor idea, the KISS approach with the manual tailgate caps will work just fine for me. Here is everything I ordered, let me know if I missed anything:

Amazon product ASIN B003HJ3JOAAmazon product ASIN B08BVVJCFQhttps://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0168X4QBQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1) I see the Firestone kit comes with 18' of airline. Cut in half, are those two 9' sections long enough for the routing to the tailgate? If not, I could order some additional air line but the kit doesn't say what size line they use. Non-issue if the 9' sections is fine as-is. I did buy an air line cutter tool figured that's just good to have anyways.

2) Hole saw to drill the bump stops for the air line. What size did you all use? Project 200 says 35mm (1.38") which isn't a size I have. Closest I have is 2" that I used to drill a hole in my bumper to relocate my 7-way. Safe to assume 2" is too big for this job?

DPA 200 - for any self install please make sure when lifting up the rear and both wheels from the ground that the front wheels are really well chocked. I did it in my garage and had a concrete ledge of about 3 inch tall so ended up putting some wood between that and the front wheels. Regardless when i jacked up and put some heavy duty jack stands at the rear i still had about 1/2" forward movement. This was okay with the hydraulic garage jack there and then putting the wheels under the frame.

Just be super careful with that because you will be messing around under the car with the axle dropped and springs for several hours and you have to have somebody jump on the passenger side to get that spring out. BE WARNED AND VERY CAREFUL PLEASE. Have primary and secondary means of keeping the vehicle in the air and chocked.

Last edited:

If you cut off the bump stop after the first ring ,(per instructions) there already is a hole there. No need to drill one for the air line. The included hose length is plenty and good kitchen scissors cut it just fine. Heat gun does help take out some of the coil in the line.

Quick share of a trip we did in 2021 to Colorado and Utah in a rented Black Series HQ19 (very nice, a bit heavy and sluggish to tow) and our 2022 purchased Keystone Passport 221BH (I know, run of the mill yet good value for money and with slide out some more space as well as bunk beds to allow grand kids to sleep with us). In both cases the airbags worked great and no WDH. Saw no need for sway control. Distance hitch to rear wheel is short and the Cruiser level with airbags has been steady as a rock. Makes hitching up and manouvering at fuel stations, driving through transitions at the same and turning/parking at the camp grounds real easy.

View attachment 3231131

View attachment 3231132

View attachment 3231138

View attachment 3231140

And our Passport SL 221BH. Yeah, not as nice but also half the price and with some DIY tender care and love working out ok so far.

View attachment 3231141

What did you think of the HQ19? Kind of thinking about picking one up but have heard mixed reviews on build quality. They also are pretty heavy. 200 can tow it, but at its upper limit and probably not easy on the transmission.

What did you think of the HQ19? Kind of thinking about picking one up but have heard mixed reviews on build quality. They also are pretty heavy. 200 can tow it, but at its upper limit and probably not easy on the transmission.
Good question and not so easy to answer;
- First we liked very much the HQ19 which we rented from an owner in Albequerque
- Seems build quality was pretty good and more sturdy than many say regular travel trailers out there, including the Keystone Passport SL 221BH we ended up buying.
- Having said that ideally you are not afraid and willing to take on some DIY tasks/fixes, this will greatly help to keep everything running.
- Just did not want to spend the extra $30k or so for a Black Series since I work full time and would just not be able to use it enough (nor is the Houston area inviting so you need to drive a couple of hours at least to get to something nice)
- Towing wise the HQ19 did feel a bit heavier than the Passport 221BH, then again I did not think it was that much different
- We did tow the HQ19 to Colorado and Utah and had some climbs, although we did not go over passes
- The LC200 did fine and beside keeping it in manual 6th gear (have the 8 speed) I uphill did not just completely floor it. Probably 3/4 for some parts and if revs went up over 4000 to 4500 i actually backed off a bit

So unless you like to tow at 75 or 80 all the time, instead are ok towing at 65 to 70 and you do not put your foot down like a "mad" man I would say it is fine and the drive train and gearbox will be fat and happy.

In fact I saw recently some HQ21's at a more reasonable price, used around $50k and new around $62k + tax and I was showing my wife getting tempted. Reality is that we have a nice Passport SL, we do not really need the offroad capability for now and are in fact using it to infrequently to make that much sense all together.

So setting reason aside and putting my passion for cars and somehow travel trailers in the front (I am in an Engineer after all...), I would probably buy the HQ21 at this point without owning the Passport already.

Worth noting with the Airbags from Airbagman installed I feel real comfortable towing with our LC200. I would recommend you make that mod and then actually try to rent one for a week or so. See whether you are ok with the handling. It will never be the same as driving without a travel trailer. Yet I am real confident and would not look back towing an HQ19 or 21.

Hope this helps. I think the HQ21 would be great and even nicer than the HQ19 due to its great table and window setup and would allow even easier camping on the beach in Texas.

Good luck and post a picture once you have made your move.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom