Air Tools (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

retrofive

rɛtrəʊ
SILVER Star
Threads
I was loaned indefinitely a 30 gallon stand up craftsman air compressor :D ... but have nothing at this point to attach to it :frown:.

What are some of the most used tools used for yours? Im not going run out and just start buying anything with the word air tool on it LOL.

Torque Wrench... 1/2"? 3/8"?
Cut-Off Tools (size?)
Ratchet???
Tire inflation thingy????
Paint Gun??
Hoses, connectors, etc??

What do find the most useful to have at hand?

Torque Wrench... 1/2"? 3/8"?

You mean impact. :hillbilly:

Cut-Off Tools (size?)
Ratchet???
Tire inflation thingy????
Paint Gun??
Hoses, connectors, etc??

What do find the most useful to have at hand?

I pretty much only use it for my impact. I have some other tools I occasionally use it for, like a cut-off wheel and wire brush.

The more expensive tools generally use less air, which means you can run them longer. I have cheap tools from Harbor Freight, and they blow through air (pardon the pun) rather quickly.

You can either compensate with a bigger tank/compressor, or better tools.

You should also get an auto oiler/filter. HF has them for cheap ($15 I think?). They will prevent your tools from binding up.

If you want to use it for paint or sandblasting you will need a completely separate set of hoses and connections. If you use the same ones that you used your air tools for...well...that's bad.

You also need MUCH better filters/driers for paint/sandblasting. I would get a good air/water separator (same one the auto-oiler one, just don't put oil in it) and then put one of the ones that have absorbent media after that.

I have a nice impact and air wrench that I almost never use, and you're welcome to borrow. My cut off wheel is cheap, but if you need one...(personally I'd just go buy one from HF if you find you need one).

You can also always buy cheap and upgrade as funds/needs arise.

Impact wrench in 1/2 I'd get a good one, if you plan to work on your truck much
An are ratchet in 3/8

An angle grinder is very handy as well, with those little scotch bright style pad things. I was shocked at how much I use my pops...
Air drill is money if you have the cash get one
Air chizzle is also sweet, again if you've got the cash
Unless you plan on a major investment don't bother with a paint gun at all. If you do decide to go there you will need much more than just a gun. Not saying you shouldn't just saying that if you aren't going to use it regularly it may not be the best investment.
If you want to do any body work then:
Air file, and DA would be great.

For metal finishing a nibbler is pretty sweet also.

Oh and a large sanding disk gismo is cool to have also :)

But seriously if you are planning on shopping give me a call or PM and I can give you much better advise.../input.

Last edited:
The 4 most useful things in order:

1-Tire inflation

2-Blower to clean stuff with compressed air

3-Impact Wrench

4-Air Ratchet

I like IR tools and feel they are a good combination of price vs quality. ToolsRUS has made some great suggestions over the years regarding specific tools. Do a search and just buy those. That's what I did for the impact and the ratchet.

A 30 gallon compressor won't have the ability to run the real air hogs like grinders, sanders, cut-offs and similar.

I would not use an auto oiler for small scale use. That will coat the inside of the airline with oil and make it useless for future painting projects. I just drip in a few drops before each use and it's plenty.

Cool that makes sense. YES yes impact not torque, been way to long of a day.

Seems a good Impact and Cut Off tool would be the way to start. Painting and sandblasting WAY down the road, BUT one of these days the Porsche will be completely torn down and need a full work over.

More importantly than the size is going to be the output of the compressor, it should be listed. This is important to know because your tools will be rated on how much they use...

The 4 most useful things in order:

1-Tire inflation

2-Blower to clean stuff with compressed air

3-Impact Wrench

4-Air Ratchet

I like IR tools and feel they are a good combination of price vs quality. ToolsRUS has made some great suggestions over the years regarding specific tools. Do a search and just buy those. That's what I did for the impact and the ratchet.

A 30 gallon compressor won't have the ability to run the real air hogs like grinders, sanders, cut-offs and similar.

I would not use an auto oiler for small scale use. That will coat the inside of the airline with oil and make it useless for future painting projects. I just drip in a few drops before each use and it's plenty.

THANKS! I did put my hands on some IR tools, and they feel nice.

More importantly than the size is going to be the output of the compressor, it should be listed. This is important to know because your tools will be rated on how much they use...

I dont know squat about them. But its a:

Single Cylinder / Oil Free
6hp, 150PSI.
8.6 scfm @ 40psi
6.4 scfm @ 90psi
120v / 15amp

Seemed like crusing around lowes tonight most the tools were pretty clearly labeled on their consumption/use.

It was originally purchased for re-painting home.... and then just sat.

6.4 @ 90 is the number that matters.

An impact wrench is around 5.5 cfm...

3/8" butterfly gun and a 3/8" angle headed wrench, 1/2" big gun for wheel nuts, and the air blowing, tire inflating things, look at pawn shops for deals.:D

You said it Mr. President :)

A butterfly, I can't believe I forgot that. Essential for taking down a motor and such.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom