air suspension, not bags (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Maybe some of you Aussies can help me here. Some time back I was reading in 4wheel and offroad about some crazy air suspension some aussies were using in their trucks. The truck had a V8 for an engine, but used two cylinders for air compressors. The pressurized air was then forced out through small nozzles directly at the axles and this created the suspension. I think they used a four link setup to locate the axles, but just used air to support the rig. When the engine was shut off, the frame just rested on the axles. I don't know if this would be a worthy application for the US or offroading in general. But it sounds crazy and I kinda like it.

I can't see how u can raise the suspension without having some sort of bag/device that gets filled with air (under compression - as in airbag/bladder).

My 2 cents

Lal

From what I understood from reading, it's just the high pressure of the air. The air is directed at the axles from the frame. This pushes the frame up or pushes the axles down however you look at it.

It was used on a certain model of truck, many years ago, and wouldnt be a 4wd application.

well, why not???? the bullet trains in japan hover due to magnetic fields and stuff.

maybe someone should develop this for a 4x4???

Sure let's build magnetic trucks :flipoff2: That might be usefull in the Iron Range of Michigan :flipoff2:

now this is getting somewhere. how about instead of wheels, we have hovercraft type aprons at each corner, that'd get some forced articulation. and no worries about rolling resistance :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom