Air rail tube hot and poor acceleration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1986 Fj60. I just pulled off the manifolds, installed new gasket, heat riser block off, new vacuum lines to try to get rid of stuttering issue. Now it’s getting hot, per IR gun, and smoking. Weird thing too: the brakes are stiff. This is a rebuilt motor and all new brake components. Before I pulled the manifolds, the brakes were fine. Any ideas of where to look next?

Also, anyone local to Annapolis, Maryland that might be willing to give it a look?

How hot is it getting? Where are you pointing the gun? Is the smoke possibly from residual oil that got on the exhaust manifold from working on it?
Make sure the vacuum line is still connected to the brake booster and has vacuum to it. Maybe you just bumped it loose while working on the manifold.

Did you remove all of the heat riser pieces from inside the exhaust manifold and also seal up the pivot holes? And what @g-man says about the brake booster vacuum supply.

Absolute weirdest thing. I went out to check the booster hose and check valve. Seemed ok. Started it up to check the temps again. No high temps and the brakes felt as they should. Took it for a spin and got it into 4th gear for the first time since I’ve owned the truck. I am beyond excited!!!

I didn’t remove the heat riser pieces. Wasn’t sure if that would affect exhaust back pressure. Do most folks remove those pieces when putting in a block off plate?

At a minimum, I think I’m going to replace the booster check valve and possibly look at replacing the booster. I had similar symptoms after I replaced the calipers/cylinders/etc. it sounds like the booster is the intermittent culprit. Thanks for all your help guys. I love this forum!!

I didn’t remove the heat riser pieces. Wasn’t sure if that would affect exhaust back pressure. Do most folks remove those pieces when putting in a block off plate?

not always but if you are going to run the block off plate then the exhaust diverted pieces are not doing you any good. It’s also possible that they might be hitting the block off plate and limiting exhaust flow which would both cut into your performance and could be causing more back pressure and possibly impacting the air rail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom