Air rail fitting ( closing off) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

G

Anyone have any opinion on how to block off the air rail fittings on the head of a 2F? Just got the beast and the PO took out all of the smog stuff and just crimped and brazed shut the tubing that comes out of the head and goes to the air rail. Looks kind of crappy. Would like to remove the fittings and replace them with bolts ( or something). Any chance I will damage anything ( other than the things I normally break when I "fix" something)?

Appreciate it.

D. Kane

Use 1/4" NPT pipe plugs. Make sure they are made of brass (I think) and not steel. I got about two million of them from Grainger for a few bucks.

why brass? mine are steel adn they are fine....

Also, I would recommend that you find allen-head type 1/4 NPT plugs because tightening in those damn square-head ones just sucks (especially as you get to the rear of the engine bay). May not be so bad on a 40 because you can tilt the hood all the way back, but on a 60 it's damn hard to get to.

why brass?  mine are steel adn they are fine....

I think the threads in the head are not pipe threads (Although I could be wrong). If you force the steel pipe plug into the iron head, the threads in the head will yield before the threads on the plug. Using the softer brass plugs ensures that the threads in the head do not strip. Although if you're not planning on removing the plugs in the future, it probably wouldn't matter.

Also, I would recommend that you find allen-head type 1/4 NPT plugs because tightening in those damn square-head ones just sucks

I agree with you. It took me a while to find some allen head pipe plugs. I ended up buying an entire box of them and only using six.

I hope I'm not breaking any protocol by resurrecting this thread from 14 years ago, but I figure its better than starting a new thread about a topic thats been covered. I recently purchased a 1979 FJ40 with 2F motor that has these on the head: I assume that these are the air rail fittings described in this thread. Do any of you guys who bought boxes of the plugs happen to have any left? If not, anyone have a good source for them? I'm in the San Antonio area, if that matters. Thanks!

I hope I'm not breaking any protocol by resurrecting this thread from 14 years ago, but I figure its better than starting a new thread about a topic thats been covered. I recently purchased a 1979 FJ40 with 2F motor that has these on the head: I assume that these are the air rail fittings described in this thread. Do any of you guys who bought boxes of the plugs happen to have any left? If not, anyone have a good source for them? I'm in the San Antonio area, if that matters. Thanks!

LMGTFY - > Desmog Components, Pt. 2 <

Last edited:
I got mine from San Antonio Brake and Clutch over 20 years ago... Take one with you so they can match the threads.
HTH,
Will

There's also a Toyota part that fits the air rail holes. Don't recall the pn, but I can find it shortly. Obviously more expensive than other options.

I use the toyota plugs(they fit right) but my gosh they are spendy. Think they are $7 each

I have 18 of those suckers...........or maybe i am the sucker ;)
Is there a diagram that shows the location of all the fittings that need to be plugged? I'm fairly certain my motor is desmogged, but I feel like the PO did it on the cheap. I see a lot of empty holes that look like something should be there and fittings that seem like they should have a hose attached. Not knowing a lot to begin with, the added complexity of a whole system being removed is a little daunting.

If you had empty holes, your truck would basically not run. Or it would run like a serious turd. You'd know it.

FJ40Jim has his cap & plug set for something like $17 including postage:

Standard version includes:
  • 6 allen head plugs for AIR port in head
  • 2 allen plugs for the BVSV(s) in t-stat housing
  • pair of black hi-temp vinyl 22 & 25mm caps for air cleaner hose barbs
Desmog components post #2

dsc06754-jpg.399908

I have issues, but after reading many posts, the 2 proper options are Jims plugs (yes I have a set) or OEM.....I like OEM as my cruisers as they are pretty nice and stock. On my 45 with a 77 motor.....God knows what's stuffed in those holes....but they do work....just look like crap.

I will say, oem fits so darn nice and look very clean(factory) and are easy to install with the large allenheads

As I type in the costco parking lot sitting in the 100.....I opened the center console and founder yet more of those things....lol

You know, some people invest in gold.. ;)

I may have been misinterpreting the Desmog Components thread, but there seemed to be some discussion about differences in thread sizes for the 1979 and earlier air rail. Will these plugs thread into the holes in my air rail (1979 model year)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom