Air Pump (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anybody know how to detect if your air pump is on its way out?

Brian

Air pump???
do you mean smog pump and what symptoms are leading you to this diagnosis.
Dave

:mad: It is supposed to make noise ??? What kind of noise exactly is the question. Mine is starting to whine and it is getting worse. No repair for this (at least not at home). Have to replace with used (50-75$), rebuilt(125$ + core chg), or new (@$500). C-dan says you need to keep the pulley off the original unless you buy a new one. What kind of noise is yours making, we might be in the same boat. :cheers:

I thought mine needed one, and while searching, no one in the us has the aftermarket rebuilt one, it's an A1 Cardone 33-794. They said it's because they don't have any cores. They said I'd have to send mine in, and they could rebuild it. The only other option besides one from Toyota, was from SOR:

048-01I-R RBLT SMOG PUMP-1/90-8/92 FJ80 $200 CORE-Availability subject to stock on hand (a Core of $200.00 is already included in the shown price) 450.00

After further investigation for the squealing noise, I found it was coming from my A/C belt tensioner, which was $17 from Toyota with my TLCA discount. That was before I knew about C-DAN!! He can probably get you a better price, (for the smog pump). HTH!!

:whoops:Try Man-a-Fre(flame suit on). 125$ + 200$ core. Or used.

If you hear a loud screech followed by a spike on the temp gauge, you will know it's time to replace the air pump.

I tried man-a-fre, they don't have any cores either, you have to send yours in, they will rebuild it and send it back to you. This might not be a problem for you, but I drive my rig daily!!!

If it is just squealing I wager it is another part (tensioner or belt tension) causing the issue.

How's your rig running?

The truck seems to be running just fine. :) The belts or I expect the belts, have gotten really squeally in the past few weeks. :-\ They are all new OEM along with a new PS Pump($$$) & Idler Pulley about 5000 miles ago. Everything was quiet after the install. I had just asked the question about the air/smog pump because most parts let you know when they are about to die. Whether its a weird sound or the truck runs a certain way.

Brian

Brian,

>> have gotten really squeally in the past few weeks. They are all new OEM ... <<

Just a thought... new belts tend to get loose after they break in and might need retightening. It could be this simple and worth a few minutes to check the belt tension.

-B-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom