air pump question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My air rail was rust when i rebuilt the head, and just plugged the holes. do i need any emission stuff? what can i get rid of, and what can i keep?

Nicholas

If you're subject to emissions testing, you'll likely need to keep almost all of it. The air injection system can sort of function even without the air rail. Depending on engine conditions sometimes the air goes up to the rail or more often it goes down into the exhaust near the cat. If the rail is totally rusted out, I'll bet the two jumbo check valves in the AI system are likely shot too. Without the check valves funtioning, the air bypass valve gets too hot and cooks the rubber diaphrams - you don't want to know what a new air bypass valve costs.

Ditto on the passage of air pump air thru the rail. If the County you live in is like mine, there's a visual inspection and a functional test at idle and at cruise speeds. In the visual check, you *could* be lucky enough that the place that does your smog test just glances at the mass of pipes and hoses and looks for the #1 cylinder lead and ignore the rest. Or they could be sticklers that actually look for the air pump, cat, and telltale signs something was altered (headers, etc) in which case, they could tell you that you must reinstall it all, to original condition. I happen to have all my smog stuff in working order, but if I could get away with it, I'd desmog. BTW, new airpump goes for big bucks from Toyota. A functional unit can be had from checkers/kragen/autozone for around 100 bucks. The theory is that the air pump blows air into the combustion chamber (or the cat) to raise temps there and cause lower emissions (CO).
Read this thread also https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=107113

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom