Air pump fix (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is a desmog my only option if my air pump grinds to a halt? I’d like to keep things original as possible and would prefer to have rebuilt. Toyota dealer said no longer available. Options?

Thanks.

You can get a rebuilt pump other places. If you’ve got to smog test it - then you need a new pump. But there’s nothing wrong with installing an idler pulley there instead in the mean time. A few places sell a pulley and bracket to replace the pump.

You can get a rebuilt pump other places. If you’ve got to smog test it - then you need a new pump. But there’s nothing wrong with installing an idler pulley there instead in the mean time. A few places sell a pulley and bracket to replace the pump.
My state does not have emissions requirements so the smog equipment is not necessarily required. I want to try to keep it original but in the end, I’ll do what I have to to get the truck operable again. Any sources on pump rebuilds? That would probably be the best and easiest option with the least downtime.

My state does not have emissions requirements so the smog equipment is not necessarily required. I want to try to keep it original but in the end, I’ll do what I have to to get the truck operable again. Any sources on pump rebuilds? That would probably be the best and easiest option with the least downtime.
I went with BZ Rebuilders in Canoga Park, CA. Call them and let them know what you want, then send them a core and it comes back looking immaculate. The communication was a little weird - i think they rebuild a fair deal of old smog pumps and it's no big deal for them, as opposed to me who had a bunch of questions because it seemed rare to find a tiny shop far away that specialized in this.

I've got maybe 5000+ miles on mine and it's working as intended. It chirped and squeaked occasionally during the first 1000 miles but they said that's to be expected as it breaks in.

You can gut the vanes out of the pump and continue to run the truck with the gutted air pump as a dummy pulley. Along with this, you could do a desmog with the smog equipment in place to keep a factory appearance. You'd have to research how to do it and keep it looking stock, but it is entirely possible to do.

I appreciate all of the comments. I decide to send my pump off to be rebuilt by Cardone, I believe, thru Rock Auto. Removal of the pump wasn't terrible, but I finally gave up and made a small cut on the short hose connected to the back of the pump so I could remove it. The hose was petrified. I'm hopeful I can still reuse the hose, but in case, does anyone know of any options? Going to call Toyota on Monday, but afraid of what they're going to say.

All air pump air injection hoses have been discontinued by Toyota at least 15 years ago. The air pump doesn’t put out much pressure, so any hose that you can find that’ll fit should work ok.

I appreciate all of the comments. I decide to send my pump off to be rebuilt by Cardone, I believe, thru Rock Auto. Removal of the pump wasn't terrible, but I finally gave up and made a small cut on the short hose connected to the back of the pump so I could remove it. The hose was petrified. I'm hopeful I can still reuse the hose, but in case, does anyone know of any options? Going to call Toyota on Monday, but afraid of what they're going to say.

Don't use Cardone. Do a search here and you'll see why.

Since you have to ship it out anyway , BZ Rebuilders is cheaper and better, and they do the rebuilds for SOR:

That's my pump, and I had them do a couple as back ups for other cruisers.

As a side note, that pictured pump was a replacement for a pump I had done by another recommended rebuilder in Camarillo, CA. That pump NEVER put out much air and caused me all kinds of grief until I finally found these guys and that put made all the difference in the world for smog test results.

1642378765061.png

1642378779461.png

Don't use Cardone. Do a search here and you'll see why.

Since you have to ship it out anyway , BZ Rebuilders is cheaper and better, and they do the rebuilds for SOR:

That's my pump, and I had them do a couple as back ups for other cruisers.

As a side note, that pictured pump was a replacement for a pump I had done by another recommended rebuilder in Camarillo, CA. That pump NEVER put out much air and caused me all kinds of grief until I finally found these guys and that put made all the difference in the world for smog test results.

View attachment 2896060

View attachment 2896062
@85FJ in SC Back again to say Spike Strip is right. BZ is the way to go. I bought a parts store Cardone that was not the right pump - hoses had a tough time fitting. Then it blew up. Photos below of the blown up Cardone and of the one I had BZ Rebuilders do. I like only buying stuff once if I can help it.

D8E4F26A-77A8-4EDC-A591-6C385EBB2C27.jpeg

9C78334B-56B1-4543-9252-ADC2C55EDC9C.jpeg

Yeah, that's why I tell peeps to steer clear of the Cardone. I took apart one that had failed after 10K miles and all they had done was clean it up a bit and inject new grease into the old bearings.

Generally, Cardone isn't too bad, but their stuff is hit and miss. The Cardone FJ40/60 Smog pumps are a miss.

Is a desmog my only option if my air pump grinds to a halt? I’d like to keep things original as possible and would prefer to have rebuilt. Toyota dealer said no longer available. Options?

Thanks.

Listen Up to @Spike Strip , Please

HE has the BEST Options here in his thread posts , if you like to keep original and all ...........

if NOT ?

steer 100% CLEAR for any substitute that incorporates PLASTIC Lawn mower parts , i have had address this monkey business too many times in my experience

good luck

Since you don’t have emissions testing in SC, I’d still get an idler pulley from Jim C, and put your rebuilt pump on the shelf for safe keeping.

Bolts right up in the same spot, uses the same belt. No hoses. This breathing room can come in really handy down the road when you need to do other work in that cluttered driver’s side zone.

I’d do it if I could, but since I can’t, I can at least encourage others…

Update on my air pump situation. Two-week turn around not bad. Installed the pump yesterday and finished putting everything together today. One concern, a note included in the return box said it was normal for the new pump to squeak for some 500 miles. That's going to be annoying. Hopefully it shakes out sooner. As for the small ABV hose coming off the back. I tried all of the major parts stores except Napa with not luck. Tried a heater hose from Lowes but it would not install without a major kink. I did find a local company that custom makes engine hoses same day when you bring one in. Not sure of the price yet but the duct tape I used to reinstall the original (I had to cut to remove) will not last forever.

This has been said before and deserves repeating, BZ Rebuilders is the air pump rebuilder for Specter off-road. I think they rebuild P/S pumps also.

Update on my air pump situation. Two-week turn around not bad. Installed the pump yesterday and finished putting everything together today. One concern, a note included in the return box said it was normal for the new pump to squeak for some 500 miles. That's going to be annoying. Hopefully it shakes out sooner. As for the small ABV hose coming off the back. I tried all of the major parts stores except Napa with not luck. Tried a heater hose from Lowes but it would not install without a major kink. I did find a local company that custom makes engine hoses same day when you bring one in. Not sure of the price yet but the duct tape I used to reinstall the original (I had to cut to remove) will not last forever.
My pump squeaked on and off for 500 miles and then settled down. Then it squeaked again from 800-1000 miles. I called them and they said "everything's fine, don't worry." It's more of a "chirp" by the way.

Since you don’t have emissions testing in SC, I’d still get an idler pulley from Jim C, and put your rebuilt pump on the shelf for safe keeping.

Bolts right up in the same spot, uses the same belt. No hoses. This breathing room can come in really handy down the road when you need to do other work in that cluttered driver’s side zone.

I’d do it if I could, but since I can’t, I can at least encourage others…
Seems like the TLC Performance link is busted. I clicked on it in Jim C's signature link, too, with the same result. Anyone else having the same result?

Working for me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom