Air Pump Failures (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

bjowett

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Some of you guys might like to read, or skim through the following links.

Air Induction Pump - Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum
AIR PUMP FAILURE - Need details for the engineer at Toyota - Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum

The short of it... an apparently poorly designed air pump system gets water in it, which can then take out the air pump motors, and things further down the line in the air injection system. This can place the vehicle in limp mode, and generate a very expensive repair bill from Toyota. The design and intake of the 200 series looks to be exactly the same as the Tundra.

We had a Toyota engineer here at American recently to look at the pile of them that we have replaced....

I do mean a pile of them...

We had a Toyota engineer here at American recently to look at the pile of them that we have replaced....

I do mean a pile of them...

What was the verdict?

What was the verdict?

Long and the short of it is that the air pump is just in the wrong place. A wheel well location for such an integral component was just plain bad.

Supposedly there is a re-design of the pump location for future 5.7 engines.

...supposedly....

So, if it rains and I drive the truck thru puddles I risk a failure and toyota will charge me for it? That stinks.

So, if it rains and I drive the truck thru puddles I risk a failure and toyota will charge me for it? That stinks.

They are handling these problems on a case-by-case basis. Our dealership has covered some as warranty repair, but for many of them, it's out of pocket from the customer...which really does suck since the pump costs almost $1200.

I am not sure if Toyota is going to do any type of recall or campaign on these pumps.

I looked through some pages of the Tundra threads to no avail. What is this air pump, and what does it do?

If by "air pump" you mean the wife that sits in the passenger seat, then...ah hell, glad the thing broke! :flipoff2:

Updated info:

Looks like Toyota is warrantying these pumps for 6 years 60K.

After that, the customer is on their own...and the Service Manager at each dealership is making ad hoc decisions on a case-by-case basis.

Updated info:

Looks like Toyota is warrantying these pumps for 6 years 60K.

After that, the customer is on their own...and the Service Manager at each dealership is making ad hoc decisions on a case-by-case basis.

Has it been a problem on the 200, or is it more of a Tundra thing?

Beno,

Any thoughts on how we can protect these to prevent failure? And which side are they on?

Beno,

Any thoughts on how we can protect these to prevent failure? And which side are they on?

Not sure really since the pumps are attached to hardlines which makes relocating them tough. The engine bay is already very crowded in the 5.7L engine bay, at least from what I have seen.

Here is a schematic of the pumps and their relative location.
200_AIRINDUCTION_SCHEMATIC_1.jpg

Still wondering... Anybody care to explain what the air pump does?

I looked through some pages of the Tundra threads to no avail. What is this air pump, and what does it do?

Still wondering... Anybody care to explain what the air pump does?

Adam--it basically injects fresh air into the combustion process at start-up to reduce emissions. Once closed-loop is achieved, the pumps shut off. They operate for roughly 30-40 seconds on start up.

So far the replacements are happening on Sequoias/Tundras and some 1GR-FE engines.

Here's some reading for you.

Attachments

• T-SB-0329-08.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 4,902
Adam--

Here's some more reading material. This document shows diagnosis of single and dual air pump induction systems.

This document is the "guts" you were looking for I think.

:)

Attachments

• sec08.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,345
Adam--

Here's some more reading material. This document shows diagnosis of single and dual air pump induction systems.

This document is the "guts" you were looking for I think.

:)

You know me too well! :D

Thanks for the info. I'm starting to see how much technology goes into these newer engines. It's not quite as simple as air, fuel and spark anymore :doh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom