air mattress in cargo (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

pandasfj

SILVER Star
Threads
Hi, wondering if anybody has used an air mattress and /or a truckbedz mattress in the cargo area of an fj62 with rear seat down. Been wanting to do some weekend camping and wasn't sure if a truckbedz matt. would fit in cargo area due to fender wells,they only have size for short bed truck. Any ideas on what to use for comfort sleeping? Thanks :)

I don't know about a 62, but in a 60 there is 5'10" between the folded rear seat and the closed tailgate. REI carries the "Camp Bed 3.5". The regular version fits perfectly and is very comfortable. The sizes listed are 2" longer than the actual dimensions.

I have a full side air mattress that fits perfectly in the back of my 60. It just molds around the wheel wells and helps firm it up. Mine is just a standard cheap Coleman from Walmart

I don't know about a 62, but in a 60 there is 5'10" between the folded rear seat and the closed tailgate. REI carries the "Camp Bed 3.5". The regular version fits perfectly and is very comfortable. The sizes listed are 2" longer than the actual dimensions.
yeah my cargo is about the same,thanks I'll look into that,I think I have a queen size coleman in the attic will have to dig it out, unless I got rid of it,thanks again guys:cheers:

Earlier had problems with cheap $50-$60 air beds, but after purchased this crazy thing called premier air bed or something similar no more problems.
There is a lot of problems with cheap air beds (mostly of them just "leak" after some time) and this one is worth every cent!

Done it in my 80 plenty of times, I have the storage at the same height of the seats when folded.. just fold the mattress and push it in.. fits perfectly.

Done it in my 80 plenty of times, I have the storage at the same height of the seats when folded.. just fold the mattress and push it in.. fits perfectly.

By storage do you mean a platform that is up to the height of the top of the folded forward seats?

I"ve used an air mattress for some time in the back of my 80. But, i got sick and tired of it constantly going flat on me, and, in cold weather that thing will make you freeze your a$$ off! So, i went to Walmart and purchased a small memory foam bed topper. That has made a huge difference in my sleeping comfort. It's amazing! No more flats and no more cold. It does take up more room rolled up then the airmattress but to me it's worth it.

Also, i took the seats out and made a little flat platform that goes over the floor board just behind the front seats. It makes for one large flat area in the back of the 80. That was key to making sleeping in the back of the 80 doable.

One of the reasons I went with a RTT, instead of sprucing up the interior of my 80 for sleeping in it, is the condensation from ones breathing that collects all through the rig. The more people sleeping inside and the colder the weather, the worse it gets. It still happens in a tent, but at least it's easier to maintain. You don't have an instrument panel or other places that moisture will collect, in a tent, and eventually cause corrosion problems. Hell, in cold weather, it's usually tough enough to defog the windows in the morning on a rig that's been empty all night.

One of the reasons I went with a RTT, instead of sprucing up the interior of my 80 for sleeping in it, is the condensation from ones breathing that collects all through the rig. The more people sleeping inside and the colder the weather, the worse it gets. It still happens in a tent, but at least it's easier to maintain. You don't have an instrument panel or other places that moisture will collect, in a tent, and eventually cause corrosion problems. Hell, in cold weather, it's usually tough enough to defog the windows in the morning on a rig that's been empty all night.

So very true! I also noticed after my last camping trip when sleeping in the truck that the glass was super filthy after drying in the morning. It works fine sleeping in the truck, it's just not ideal; especially on long trips where you are sleeping in the truck more than once.

I've bought some of the cheapo Coleman air beds in the past...for spares etc. They don't last but maybe one or two uses until they spring a leak it seems. I've thrown them all out.

About 10 years or so ago I purchased an air mattress which I still use to this day. It's an Aero Bed...that's the brand name. Thing still holds air all night long and I’ve never had an issue with it. I'm also not easy on it. However, I bought it forever ago...so I’m not sure if they still offer the one I have. I would think the quality is still there though.

http://www.aerobed.com/

The one i bought is just a simple queen with a built in pump. The pump is awesome and still pumps it up in 60 seconds.

Hmm, this desert dweller hasn't heard of internal corrosion problems before, but I don't cold-camp in the rig very much: it's mostly windows down spring/fall camping. Any thoughts on having a vent of some type to keep the condensation at a minimum?

Yes - I've put some thought into it as I sleep in my 80 6 nights a year or so and live in a cold climate where I winter camp in it as well. I have thought about installing a small marine type vent fan in one of the D pillars where those body vents are such that I could either pull air in (summer wanting cool night air), or push air out (winter wanting to move humid air out). I intend to plumb it so the switch is in the rear where I sleep. I have not reached the point where any research has been done, but one thing I need to know is that the air can be moved in or out of the dash vents. In other words, that the vehicle is not air tight which is my assumption, but worth confirming.

I also fashioned insulated heat reflecting window panels which help keep the interior warmer and thus reduce condensation (air hitting cold surfaces causes it).

I had never worried about the impact on vehicle electronics and still would not. This is simply because an automobile is specifically tested and designed to operate continuously over its life with humid air both inside it and outside it as part of being an "outdoor appliance". I would not be concerned.

DougM

.........I had never worried about the impact on vehicle electronics and still would not. This is simply because an automobile is specifically tested and designed to operate continuously over its life with humid air both inside it and outside it as part of being an "outdoor appliance". I would not be concerned.

DougM
I've slept in rigs before, but only when I had to - as a last resort. Maybe once every 5 or 10 years. So in that case I tend to agree with you, Doug. But, I believe the humidity that is created by people sleeping in an enclosed rig exceeds the level that even our overbuilt rigs are designed for. As an electrical/IT technician for most of my working life, I would have to say, to sleep in your rig on a regular basis with out making some changes, like your ventilation fan for example, could cause some odd electrical problems down the road. The electric window switches in our 80s, for example, would probably be even more touchy. Foggy instrument panel lens might be another challenge. That's not an electrical issue, but might become annoying. But we all do what we need to do, to get by. If sleeping in your rig works - cool! I'm just trying to point out some personal concerns that I've considered in use of my rigs.

I sleep in my 60 at least 50 or more days a year. Air mattres with build in pump fits perfect and is most comfortable in the summer. Winter you will freeze, some sort of closed foam works ok. The problem is if you dont take the part of the seat that flips up out, it's pretty short. Even with it out I sleep at an angle and can stretch out. Don't build drawers or you won't be able to sit up. If you want to do it in the winter, throw your sleeping bad away and get a goose down comforter and some blankets. Throw a canvas bag unzipped on top of all that and you are good to go. I also have a semi truck heating pad that goes on top the mattress that heats the bed, that works well if you have the battery to do it. I also have a propane heater I can fire up when I wake up and run for a while before I go to sleep. My 60 is well sealed. As far as ventelation goes, you roll down the passenger windows a little bit. Get a 12v CO2 detector if you run propane. It works, I'm not dead and I can sleep anywhere anytime.

When looking at mattress's don't forget the length, 72" is too long for the back of a 60 without it curling up.

I always sleep better in my landcruiser than I do in my bed at home :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom