air lockers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
:confused: I only have enough money to do my rear locker. I have no factory lockers or any thing. I am running 35's and i was wandering how big the difference was and if it is worth it. Has anyone gone from open diffs to arb air locker? ;)

weather it is worth it depends on what you are doing.

I agree with Raven, if you trully need a locker it is defientely worth it. I installed front and rear ARB's on my 94 a few months ago, and it was worth the expense the diffrence is night and day.

i have to drive through thick mud to go hunting and im sick of one wheel spinning or when the hunt camp roads get flooded on my property.

i want to know if you felt it pulled harder or went through thing that normally you had a hard time with

jaxcruiser said:
i want to know if you felt it pulled harder or went through thing that normally you had a hard time with

Well it felt smoother, mostly because I also regeared. I was able to go through places I had a hard time moving through in the pass with open diffs. Over all I had a completly diffrent rig.

I have OEM lockers but for what you are asking the effect is the same, lockers will get you through stuff that is impassable with out them. if you need them and it sounds like you do then they are worth it.

thanx

Bottom line is if you wheel to places that make you rat bag on your truck, get a locker. Your cruiser will walk there with ease and you wont be trashing your truck and the environment. Environmentalists roast us when our open diffs allow for burnouts.

Later

You also have to be careful with lockers...I have heard of guys digging themselves in deeper and up to the frame in deep mud thinking the lockers were a total failsafe...JMHO.

Like anything else...you have to play with them to know when to use them, how to use them and when not to use them.

C'mon now... does playing with something makes you any better at knowing when to use it?

I ran a rear ARB in my 91 FJ80. It got me every place that I as a driver could go. Hell's Gate was the most exciting spot. Other than that 2HD in Idaho I was never denied anything, but that trail is wicked. I was lucky NW-Sickboy broke his rear axle in front of me because I wasn't prepared for the rest of the trail.

brianinaustin said:
C'mon now... does playing with something makes you any better at knowing when to use it?

Yup

with no CDL and no end lockers, you got one wheel to get you through...
with CDL, ya got 2
with CDL and end lockers, you got 4
or somethin' like that...
:)

Perhaps go with an Aussie locker to save a little dough? Seems a bit overboard going with an ARB ($800)and all of the associated hardware ($300) for what you're trying to do. Just my opinion.

Ali

The only problem I see with the full-time lockers is just that...you can't turn 'em off. JMO.

how about a detroit locker unfortunately it is a full all time locker. I can get one for cheap i am probably going to do that

alia176 said:
Perhaps go with an Aussie locker to save a little dough? Seems a bit overboard going with an ARB ($800)and all of the associated hardware ($300) for what you're trying to do. Just my opinion.

Ali

If you have a semi-float in the rear, then go Aussie becuase it is the bang for the buck. When I put mine in I immediately went to a hill I have always had to finesse, but this time I walked up it as slow as I pleased.
I truly do not even know the Aussie in there until I need it. The 80 wagon's wheel base is long enough that you rarely hear clicking (disengaging during turns) and it never binds up like other automatic brands I've felt.
It was CHEAP and does everything all the other lockers do. I'll put an ARB in the front.... one day, but the Aussie has put me on obstacles I never thought I could go or once could not go.
Seriously, I do not even know it's an automatic and the only time I wish I could unlock it is when I'm on someone's lawn and hope that I do not tear up their grass!

Go with the Aussie, you will regret any other auto-locker

Just my 02 but I feel you will regret an auto locker in an 80 period.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom